Author Topic: United vs. El Al frequent flyer program  (Read 1742 times)

Offline dawstahl

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
United vs. El Al frequent flyer program
« on: June 02, 2018, 11:54:14 PM »
We are making aliya, and I will be flying from Israel to New York and back around every two months for work.  El Al and United are the two airlines with flights at times that work for me.

Which of those airlines would have a better frequent flyer program for me (in terms of ability to get free tickets, free extra legroom seats, other perks)?  Other factors that I should choose based on?

Thank you for any advice!

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: United vs. El Al frequent flyer program
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
We are making aliya, and I will be flying from Israel to New York and back around every two months for work.  El Al and United are the two airlines with flights at times that work for me.

Which of those airlines would have a better frequent flyer program for me (in terms of ability to get free tickets, free extra legroom seats, other perks)?  Other factors that I should choose based on?

Im not a huge help here, but one thing you should clarify, is if you (or work) will be paying cash for the tickets or not, as that would definitely make a difference in your earnings regardless of airline.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline cubicles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
United

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
I would stick with United.
Elal is usually cheaper though.

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:59:40 AM »
El Al is usually cheaper because they have more capacity to fill. El Al will give you a second bag from Silver (For UA, you will need Gold for another bag). Both require Gold for free E+ seating and both give lounge access to Gold members. Though, in TLV El Al has the better lounge.

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:22:25 AM »

As others have already mentioned, we really need to know how you intend to pay for the tickets (which credit card, Amex Plat would probably serve you well with the 5X on flights and points that transfer to El Al, whereas CSR would give 3X + travel insurance/PP lounge access until you have status, and transfer to United) and your desired class of service (assuming coach if extra legroom seats are important to you).  Also what you'd like to do with your accrued miles is a factor (El Al can have compelling discounts on award tickets in both coach and business to Europe, for example).

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 09:20:01 AM »
As others have already mentioned, we really need to know how you intend to pay for the tickets (which credit card, Amex Plat would probably serve you well with the 5X on flights and points that transfer to El Al, whereas CSR would give 3X + travel insurance/PP lounge access until you have status, and transfer to United) and your desired class of service (assuming coach if extra legroom seats are important to you).  Also what you'd like to do with your accrued miles is a factor (El Al can have compelling discounts on award tickets in both coach and business to Europe, for example).
Amex plat also gives pp
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Pesach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »
how can i credit a flight to quantas?

Offline Pesach

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 12:11:23 AM »
how can i credit a flight to quantas?
booked my flight through chase ur

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 05:59:06 AM »
Amex plat also gives pp

*palm on face*  I'd better go see a doctor, can't believe that slipped my mind!

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 07:18:27 AM »
booked my flight through chase ur
call elal

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »

If your goal would be to redeem miles just on NYC <-> TLV nonstop, Elal will have much better availability, albeit with a fuel surcharge. Elal also flies to JFK and EWR, whereas UA is EWR only, so depending on your destination, UA might be annoying.

UA has way more partners, no fuel surcharges, and would give you the ability to credit flights to airlines that accrue miles more favorably if that's what you want. However, UA is relatively stingy with Saver awards NYC to TLV on their own metal, but having the UA credit card would increase availability on coach but J is still pretty tough to get at Saaver level. Most people prefer the on-board experience on UA  vs Elal.