Topic Wiki

1) The Holocaust happened because Jews were unable to obtain guns due to Poland's notoriously strict gun laws.
2) The left wants an absolute gun ban - no guns at all, any type, for anyone, ever.
3) The right wants mass shootings, especially school shootings.
4) Everyone agrees we need to require better background checks and use more discretion in handing out gun licenses.
4.a The right cannot pass such legislation because it is a slippery slope to banning all guns, everywhere, for everyone.
4.b The left cannot pass such legislation because it is not enough.
5)  Every school in the US should have metal detectors at the entrance, be surrounded by a 30' cement wall and have armed guards in every classroom and hallway. The more guns around kids the better.
6) 7 year olds going through half an hour of security theater every day just to go to school is a perfectly normal and acceptable solution.
7) The second amendment entitles every US citizen to an AR-15.
8 ) Laws don't prevent crimes.
9) Guns don't kill people
10) Stats prove my side of the argument 100% correct. (D)
11) Stats prove my side of the argument 100% correct  (R)

Author Topic: Parkland, FL 2/14/18 School Shooting, 17 Killed (Another mass shooting!)  (Read 200132 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Another mass shooting!!!
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »
I would love for someone, anyone R or D, to actually get up and purpose a half reasonable bill rather than them all blowing hot air each time this happens or proposing bills they know can't get passed to score political points. Unfortunately that is what politicians do best.
There's a silly equivalency though. Dems don't profess to want what you call a half reasonable bill', not are they in power. Republicans on the other hand...

I don't have to side with the liberal idea of fully banning guns to feel like the Republicans are dropping the ball here in a big way.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2018, 07:09:05 PM »
There's a silly equivalency though. Dems don't profess to want what you call a half reasonable bill', not are they in power. Republicans on the other hand...

I don't have to side with the liberal idea of fully banning guns to feel like the Republicans are dropping the ball here in a big way.
Yes they are dropping the ball in a big way.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
Gun control is never the answer. Arm teachers

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2018, 07:23:37 PM »
Gun control is never the answer. Arm teachers
So your answer is you need more guns to stop gun violence?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »

What do you think I call a half reasonable bill? I would call that anything that has a semi-decent chance of passing whether it would be my preferred bill or not. I actually do not have a preferred bill because I am way too ignorant about guns to be able to give anything specific. I agree that something needs to change most likely in the direction of more restrictions, but it is possible that fewer restrictions will also be better than it is now where the criminals have better access than law-abiding citizens. I know that I am being vague over here because I am unsure myself. The only reason I would consider a total gun ban unreasonable is because it can't pass and would be struck down by SCOTUS even if it did. Therefore to propose such a thing is not called trying to do something but rather trying to score political points. Somewhat like the Rs voting to repeal Obamacare when they knew it would get vetoed.

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2018, 07:52:08 PM »
He's been pretty reasonable here.
was just playinbg ive been mostly agreeing in this thread
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2018, 10:51:59 PM »
What about just owning a gun, same?
Not sure, but I don't think it's easy either

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2018, 10:57:08 PM »
i was under the impression that anyone who has a IDF background has an easier time
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2018, 11:43:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/964151871790252033

What about a tank? Can you conceal carry that?

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:42 AM »
I'm so glad I read this thread. I completely changed my long held opinions based on the reasoned arguments put forward here.

Let's do healthcare next.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2018, 12:34:09 AM »
I'm so glad I read this thread. I completely changed my long held opinions based on the reasoned arguments put forward here.

Let's do healthcare next.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2018, 12:36:05 AM »
That will happen for most who believe it cant happen in their backyard but does.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2018, 12:40:17 AM »
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2018, 01:02:52 AM »
Just wondering..does anyone here think that Is don't care about ppl getting killed by mass shootings?

And do those ppl believe that Da don't care about ppl murdered by illegals??

My point?

When either of them happen, the opposing positions go on a hellfire mission on the other, forcing them to defend at all costs.

That's why there can be no agreement on Gun control.

Offline Torkay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2018, 03:42:50 AM »
i was under the impression that anyone who has a IDF background has an easier time
Once there’s an idf background you need a reason for having one and to submit an application.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile

Offline Abelefko1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2018, 06:27:44 AM »
From Wikipedia
“Gun laws in Israel are comprehensive despite soldiers being allowed to carry their service weapons on or off duty. Civilians must obtain a firearms licence to lawfully acquire, possess, sell or transfer firearms and ammunition.

Only a small group of people are eligible for firearms licenses: certain retired military personnel, police officers or prison guards; residents of frontier towns (in the West Bank and the Golan Heights) or those who often work in such towns; and licensed hunters and animal-control officers. Age requirements vary: 20 or 21 for those who completed military service or civil service equivalent, 27 otherwise, and 45 for non-citizens. Firearm license applicants must have been a resident of Israel for at least three consecutive years, pass a background check (criminal, health, and mental history), establish a genuine reason for possessing a firearm (such as self-defense, hunting, or sport), and pass a weapons-training course.[51] Around 40% of applications for firearms permits are rejected.[52]

Those holding firearms licenses must renew them and pass a shooting course every three years, and undergo psychological assessment at least once every six years. Security guards must pass these tests to renew their license to carry firearms belonging to their employers.[53] Applicants must demonstrate that they have a safe at their residence in which to keep the firearm. Permits are given only for personal use, and holders for self-defense purposes may own only one handgun and purchase an annual supply of 50 cartridges (although more may be purchased to replace rounds used at a firing range).[54]

In addition to private licenses of firearms, organizations can issue carry-licenses to their members or employees for activity related to that organization (e.g. security companies, shooting clubs, other workplaces). Members of officially recognized shooting clubs (e.g.: practical shooting, Olympic shooting) are eligible for personal licenses allowing them to possess additional firearms (small bore rifles, handguns, air rifles and air pistols) and ammunition after demonstrating a need and fulfilling minimum membership time and activity requirements. Unlicensed individuals who want to engage in practice shooting are allowed supervised use of handguns at firing ranges.

Most individuals who are licensed to possess handguns may carry them loaded in public, concealed or openly.[51]

In 2005, there were 237,000 private citizens and 154,000 security guards licensed to carry firearms. Another 34,000 Israelis own guns illegally due to their failure to renew their firearms license.[55][56] In 2007, there were estimated to be 500,000 licensed small arms held by civilians, in addition to 1,757,500 by the military, and 26,040 by the police.”

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2018, 07:33:56 AM »
18 school shootings this year already. Keep doing nothing and expect different results?  ::) ::) ::)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html

1 school shooting is too many but As pointed out in the article,  exaggerating the numbers doesn't help the debate. 1

Unfortunately, I think @dan hit it on the head in the beginning of this thread,  we've become numb to these incidents. I heard several interviews of students at the school, they talked as if they expected this to happen,  going so far sayinh how  they used to joke that if their school would have a shooting, this killer would be most likely to perpetrate it.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »
1 school shooting is too many but As pointed out in the article,  exaggerating the numbers doesn't help the debate.
Would you consider a kid who takes a gun to school and kills himself a school shooting?