Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 148631 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Torah stuff that I don't understand
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Torah stuff that doesnt make sense
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2018, 04:55:58 PM »
The responses by many of you highlight a flawed understand of Judaism and Torah.

Exgingy sends me a hayom yom assuming I would care.. And that didn't answer nor address the question.. To quote Rabbi Eily Smith "you either believe in nevuah or you don't.

What silly stupid attacks.. My brother doesn't always agree with me but he doesn't bash me, he also requests my feedback for his publications.

in Paul Johnson history of the Jew's, he Puts daniel as a historian in the macabee era. Which spawned the comment above.

You need to get rid of your morally superior attitude, also just because you don't like someone's question is no license to bash them.

finally, this didn't question if question if the Torah was accurate about metzushelach life span, I merely said it didnt make sense that chaggai lived 600 years as per the rambam.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
OP could learn from you

No, I won't be intimidated by your bully tactics which are effectively a disgrace to Torah.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »

No, I won't be intimidated by your bully tactics which are effectively a disgrace to Torah.
OP can question away all he wants, but with a modicum of respect
BTW I’m not the one bashing klal yisroel & disrespecting torah/halacha all the time. That’s somebody else

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
It is the business of anyone who would respond as to whether they want to participate in a conversation based on that premise and they are saying that they don't want to. It is somewhat ridiculous to have read the entirety of one paragraph which wasn't even meant to be anything more than a cursory overview as a preface to more extensive study and claim that anything makes no sense. Of course you don't understand t. You didn't study the topic!

I still stand by what I wrote. I'm happy to to make sense of it. But I'm not switching it to I don't understand.

That would imply that an answer was given and I don't understand the answer

Lots of stuff don't make any sense. The tanaaim and amoraim argue with each other constantly and call each other liars effectively

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2018, 05:03:58 PM »
BTW I’m not the one bashing klal yisroel & disrespecting torah/halacha all the time. That’s somebody else

No, you're just engaged in lashon hara and slander against me.. I don't do any of those things.

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »
glad you pointed that out :)
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2018, 05:06:18 PM »

in Paul Johnson history of the Jew's, he Puts daniel as a historian in the macabee era. Which spawned the comment above.

I bought and read a good part of that book based on the recommendations of Rabbi Wein who states that the book has value, but not all of it. Rabbi Wein discounts most of the pre-biblical part of the book.

And again, you dont understand the Torah because a historian wrote something? If that is the case we are dealing with Bible criticism here and lets be clear and honest about that. Most here dont want to engage in any discussion. Go find DovBear in a google search and you will be in good company.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
I'm engaged in constructive criticism and questioning what either makes no sense or I don't understand.

Offline yakov116

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
The tanaaim and amoraim argue with each other constantly and call each other liars effectively
Please show me where.

Thing only don't make sense as long as they are not explained. As soon as it is explained you will understand. So it does make sense just you dont understand it yet.
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
I'm engaged in constructive criticism and questioning what either makes no sense or I don't understand.
Who died and left you in charge, so to speak. Constructive or not it is still bible criticism.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2018, 05:10:48 PM »
im not sure what it means to be engaged in constructive criticism of the torah. seems like along the way that if i would have written it it would have been much better
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »
I bought and read a good part of that book based on the recommendations of Rabbi Wein who states that the book has value, but not all of it. Rabbi Wein discounts most of the pre-biblical part of the book.

And again, you dont understand the Torah because a historian wrote something? If that is the case we are dealing with Bible criticism here and lets be clear and honest about that. Most here dont want to engage in any discussion. Go find DovBear in a google search and you will be in good company.

What in god's good name are you talking about?!?  Where did I engage in biblical criticism?!?!?

I said I discussed the subject iwith rabbi Eily Smith and he said "either you believe in nevua, or you dont"

My question Was about something the rambam wrote.. I'm entitled to say it doesn't make sense.  You can try to help me make sense of it or you can bash me, I don't care

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
What in god's good name are you talking about?!?  Where did I engage in biblical criticism?!?!?

I said I discussed the subject iwith rabbi Eily Smith and he said "either you believe in nevua, or you dont"

My question Was about something the rambam wrote.. I'm entitled to say it doesn't make sense.  You can try to help me make sense of it or you can bash me, I don't care

One question Mr. confused, Once it is explain to you will it make sense?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2018, 05:17:16 PM »
No, you're just engaged in lashon hara and slander against me.. I don't do any of those things.
You do it all the time. I’m being moicha. You wanna take potshots on others ? Don’t cry when others respond in kind. Or just take all this as “constructive criticism “

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 05:17:37 PM »

Ugh I didn't say I was involved in constructive biblical criticism. I meant to quote that. I meant constructive criticism of klal yisrael.

Well I tried the berditchiver route. . Till the talking in shull got too much.

Oh yeah I'm still bitter I got yanked out of school and sent home middle of the day because my parents were behind oonon tttuition... Chinuch Al taharas hhakodesh eh.

I'm entitled to criticize wrongs just as much as the next guy. But I'm not a failed Messiah douche blogger. God and Judaism didn't fail me.. I'm just picking at the flaws of the system and humanity.

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
I'm just picking at the flaws of the system and humanity.
Please explain system....

I'm entitled to say it doesn't make sense.
No you are not little guy, Your entitled to say I dont understand the Rambam.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2018, 05:20:10 PM »

The title of the thread. And you brought up Johnson to prove what point? Who is this Rabbi Smith? Who is he to say you believe in nevuah or not?  Again, youre taking what the Rambam said at fave value but ignoring another one of the ikrim. Its amazing, 3 out of 13 so far. Keep this up and we may knock out all of them before the day is up and still have the original question, based on...the Rambam's opinion.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
You do it all the time. I’m being moicha. You wanna take potshots on others ? Don’t cry when others respond in kind. Or just take all this as “constructive criticism “

No, I actually held my peace. I didn't even mention the busha and hurt I suffered from what this yeshiva did to me 25 years ago.. Only brought it up with the recent suicide case.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »
But I'm not a failed Messiah douche blogger.
Thanks for pointing that out. Was beginning to wonder