Author Topic: Help with Xbox recommended setup  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Entrepreneur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Help with Xbox recommended setup
« on: March 18, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
Looking to get Xbox but need some advice:
1) Xbox oneS or Xbox one X - we don't have any other consoles. Ages are  6-12, girls and boys.
2) Would like a new flat screen , which complements the system? I am budget consious but open to any recommendation. I guess under $500 (not sure if that is even reasonable or maybe too high?)
3) surround sound- I don't need top of the line. Similar approach to #2. I have no clue how much it costs would again be budget sensitive.

Not sure if there is anything else to consider.

Thanks!

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Xbox recommended setup
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »
Looking to get Xbox but need some advice:
1) Xbox oneS or Xbox one X - we don't have any other consoles. Ages are  6-12, girls and boys.
2) Would like a new flat screen , which complements the system? I am budget consious but open to any recommendation. I guess under $500 (not sure if that is even reasonable or maybe too high?)
3) surround sound- I don't need top of the line. Similar approach to #2. I have no clue how much it costs would again be budget sensitive.

Not sure if there is anything else to consider.

Thanks!
My personal opinion:

#1 Xbox one s, because the main difference between the two is that the one x supports 4k resolution. I don't think kids would care if it's not the sharpest image possible.

#2 since you have no need for 4k TV you can get any cheap hdtv from Walmart, BB, Amazon... for around $250

#3 IDK

And just some advice make sure to set parental controls up on the console for time limits (up to you for how long on each profile, but I'd say an hour a day max). Don't consider not setting a time limit. You'll thank me later.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Entrepreneur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
My personal opinion:

#1 Xbox one s, because the main difference between the two is that the one x supports 4k resolution. I don't think kids would care if it's not the sharpest image possible.

#2 since you have no need for 4k TV you can get any cheap hdtv from Walmart, BB, Amazon... for around $250

#3 IDK

And just some advice make sure to set parental controls up on the console for time limits (up to you for how long on each profile, but I'd say an hour a day max). Don't consider not setting a time limit. You'll thank me later.
What about the memory? Is 500 gig enough?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:49:56 PM »
What about the memory? Is 500 gig enough?
It depends on how many games you plan on having. But I'm going to guess that 500gb is enough for you. But if you could get 1tb.

I'll put it a little differently so you can make a better decision. The average game today takes around 30-50GB so that would mean 10-15 games on 500GB. But that's newer "major" games (think- COD, Battlefield, Overwatch, Fortnite) older games or just not AAA games take less space. (Btw this is even when you have a disc.)

Worst thing that happens is you tell your kids to finish playing some games until you delete and install others.

Offline Entrepreneur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
It depends on how many games you plan on having. But I'm going to guess that 500gb is enough for you. But if you could get 1tb.

I'll put it a little differently so you can make a better decision. The average game today takes around 30-50GB so that would mean 10-15 games on 500GB. But that's newer "major" games (think- COD, Battlefield, Overwatch, Fortnite) older games or just not AAA games take less space. (Btw this is even when you have a disc.)

Worst thing that happens is you tell your kids to finish playing some games until you delete and install others.
Ok. When you say "delete" does that also mean like where they left off in the middle of that game? As an aside I know less than 0 about any games.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
Ok. When you say "delete" does that also mean like where they left off in the middle of that game? As an aside I know less than 0 about any games.
Not necessarily. The game is on one file which will be a big file (30-50gb) then there's the save file which usually is only a few megabytes. They're separate. But when deleting a game, there is an option to delete all files of the game. You don't want to do that. Just delete the game and keep the save file.

There is also an option to have save files stored online, so in case they're deleted you can still play from where you're holding. But it has to be set up.