Author Topic: bad idea?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline MAJ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
bad idea?
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
Looking to fly from NYC-LON Thursday night. Limited availability with miles tickets right now. Probably partly because Thursday night NYC-LON is a popular route and people are likely switching their flights from Wednesday to Thursday due to coming storm.

Wednesday night has United J direct for 60k miles.

Thinking of booking this direct flight with the assumption that flight will get cancelled and I will ask to be put on Thursday night flight once that happens and if they wont do that ill ask to be refunded.
Downside seems to be if they actually fly Wednesday night or if i hesitate to book a economy plus or econ seat on different flights thinking this works out and than end up with nothing.

Thoughts?

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Looking to fly from NYC-LON Thursday night. Limited availability with miles tickets right now. Probably partly because Thursday night NYC-LON is a popular route and people are likely switching their flights from Wednesday to Thursday due to coming storm.

Wednesday night has United J direct for 60k miles.

Thinking of booking this direct flight with the assumption that flight will get cancelled and I will ask to be put on Thursday night flight once that happens and if they wont do that ill ask to be refunded.
Downside seems to be if they actually fly Wednesday night or if i hesitate to book a economy plus or econ seat on different flights thinking this works out and than end up with nothing.

Thoughts?
You don't need to wait until they cancel, there's a weather waiver so technically you can change it right after you book for free.

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
You don't need to wait until they cancel, there's a weather waiver so technically you can change it right after you book for free.
i assume that only helps me with change fee, wont help put me on flight with no award availability?

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »
i assume that only helps me with change fee, wont help put me on flight with no award availability?
Instead of sitting here and assuming, go get started on the process (before you lose tomorrows space).. You always have the option of canceling within 24h if you don't get what you want.

From the United Weather Waiver page:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before March 24, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​
As long as there are unsold Business Class seats, they should re-book you on that.

After your flight is booked, there might even be an option directly on the UA website to process the change (without having to call).

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
Lost the space:( seems weird as there were multiple seats on multiple flights and all gone now. will keep checking

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
Lost the space:( seems weird as there were multiple seats on multiple flights and all gone now. will keep checking
Just wait until they all change to another flight.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »
There's a 9:30AM flight showing available.