Author Topic: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?  (Read 31438 times)

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
Re: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
if you want to get general prices for food look here- https://atika.biz/catalog/en

Its a mid priced online grocery that has a english option.

Yes i know that most people on these forums might not eat alot of these hechsherim, but it is a great place to get to understand Israeli prices.
Their meat and chicken are high priced for the better hechsherim. but the dry goods and vegetables are pretty standard.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
Some of the things you've mentioned as living "modestly" are more luxurious than I have in the US! Wow, nice job making it work well for yourself.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »
i am married, living in israel for about 13 years. 4 kids- monthly tuition is about 600nis a month. Will go up soon to about 1000nis a month. me and my wife work, spend little and live in a 3 bedroom apt. No one should move to Israel to move up in life financially or wanting to live with luxuries. Those are both not reason to move to israel. With that said, a simple middle class life style (i have no debt, and pay my bills in full each month with leftovers), own a home, no car- but if i wanted i could afford one. I have gone back to the states for summers for the last 8 years, i found food to be much more expensive there. Tricks to making it work - starting here when your young if possible, dont be afraid to start off with a low paying job and work hard to move up. If you can take a USA job to israel (via the internet etc) that is one of the most solid ways to make aliyah. family of 6 - we live on about 16,000nis a month, without being stingy on expenses but living simply. I go out to eat, travel, vacation etc.
Thanks for sharing!
 Just out of curiosity what to do you?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
Would love to hear from @Ergel here.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
if you want to get general prices for food look here- https://atika.biz/catalog/en

Its a mid priced online grocery that has a english option.

Yes i know that most people on these forums might not eat alot of these hechsherim, but it is a great place to get to understand Israeli prices.
Their meat and chicken are high priced for the better hechsherim. but the dry goods and vegetables are pretty standard.
From what I saw, pasta is very cheap. Fruits and vegetables were pathetic. All the good stuff gets exported.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2018, 03:40:45 PM »
when i first got married i lived on 5500 nis a month. (plus a side job sponsored by dansdeals of credit card point "optimization") but im not sure that can be had anymore.

Also monthly expenses shoot up if i need to buy an appliance or pesach hits....

I just got a new air conditioner that set me back 4500ns. A new fridge- 3000nis. But those have to swallowed into the year accounting not the monthly. 

I do live very simply, but not poor or lacking in any way. We have meat or chicken for dinner almost every night. I have cleaning help and babysitters when needed. It was my agreement when i got married and we chose to live here. We would be simple and spend thrifty, but never have we had to say no to any form of basic needs or standards of life due to money. there where times that we had small amounts of debt, but nothing that was not paid off in a year or so etc....
good for You!! living the High(er) life while surviving is definitely as good as it gets.  most have the idea that moving to israel means agreeing to be poor
#TYH

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »
Would love to hear from @Ergel here.
I've stopped reading/posting on DDF (taking too much of my time), but got a notification so I'll respond and check back to follow up a couple of times.

I've only been here 8 months, but this is what I see so far.

Tuition is obviously much cheaper or free.

Professional Services are much cheaper (instead of $100 minimum charge for a plumber, it will be 150₪

Health Care is free. It's not an American PPO obviously but I think it's ok. You don't need to wait to see doctors. We have additional health Care which will cover surgery at any doctor and all possible medications and isn't super expensive (still working on, but likely my employer will cover this)

Housing in yerushalayim/RBS is VERY expensive, compare to the most expensive places in NYC

Car ownership is prohibitively expensive, between cost of the car, gas, insurance, registration fees, etc.

Food - some things are more expensive, some are less. Overall it's probably similar to Toronto, which is to say a tad higher than NYC.

In terms of employment, BH I've been very lucky to be able to keep my job abroad and work remotely. From what I understand, if you work in tech (which BH, I do), salaries are extremely competitive and similar to the US. Law/accounting apparently salaries aren't competitive. My wife is in education and honestly we are just looking to break even on costs associated with her working.

But in general, people live a simple lifestyle here. Not that everyone is a parush, it's just the way of life.

We could not be happier, BH.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
It seems (and I realize there are exceptions)  that if you have a US job... you can live in Israel.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Where do you guys live?

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »
On sale in KRM its $3.99LB Normal $4.69 - $4.99
Those prices are unique to Brooklyn NY.
Occasionally other places may have a sale like that, but average prices for anywhere outside of Brooklyn range from 5.99-8.99

Online yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2018, 07:11:16 PM »
Those prices are unique to Brooklyn NY.
Occasionally other places may have a sale like that, but average prices for anywhere outside of Brooklyn range from 5.99-8.99
Cosco in Cleveland has it for 4.99. I would imagine they have similar prices elsewhere

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2018, 07:13:34 PM »
I've stopped reading/posting on DDF (taking too much of my time), but got a notification so I'll respond and check back to follow up a couple of times.

I've only been here 8 months, but this is what I see so far.

Tuition is obviously much cheaper or free.

Professional Services are much cheaper (instead of $100 minimum charge for a plumber, it will be 150₪

Health Care is free. It's not an American PPO obviously but I think it's ok. You don't need to wait to see doctors. We have additional health Care which will cover surgery at any doctor and all possible medications and isn't super expensive (still working on, but likely my employer will cover this)

Housing in yerushalayim/RBS is VERY expensive, compare to the most expensive places in NYC

Car ownership is prohibitively expensive, between cost of the car, gas, insurance, registration fees, etc.

Food - some things are more expensive, some are less. Overall it's probably similar to Toronto, which is to say a tad higher than NYC.

In terms of employment, BH I've been very lucky to be able to keep my job abroad and work remotely. From what I understand, if you work in tech (which BH, I do), salaries are extremely competitive and similar to the US. Law/accounting apparently salaries aren't competitive. My wife is in education and honestly we are just looking to break even on costs associated with her working.

But in general, people live a simple lifestyle here. Not that everyone is a parush, it's just the way of life.

We miss you :)

Are the costs for your wife to work really the same as what she's making?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2018, 07:23:23 PM »
when i first got married i lived on 5500 nis a month. (plus a side job sponsored by dansdeals of credit card point "optimization") but im not sure that can be had anymore.

Also monthly expenses shoot up if i need to buy an appliance or pesach hits....

I just got a new air conditioner that set me back 4500ns. A new fridge- 3000nis. But those have to swallowed into the year accounting not the monthly. 

I do live very simply, but not poor or lacking in any way. We have meat or chicken for dinner almost every night. I have cleaning help and babysitters when needed. It was my agreement when i got married and we chose to live here. We would be simple and spend thrifty, but never have we had to say no to any form of basic needs or standards of life due to money. there where times that we had small amounts of debt, but nothing that was not paid off in a year or so etc....
Love to hear stories like yours.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2018, 02:40:40 AM »
From what I saw, pasta is very cheap. Fruits and vegetables were pathetic. All the good stuff gets exported.
pasta is cheap-  I dont find veggies to be expensive or low quality. I pay about 6nis for cucumbers per kilo. (2.2Lbs)

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2018, 02:45:13 AM »
It seems (and I realize there are exceptions)  that if you have a US job... you can live in Israel.
There are plenty of people getting by on Israeli jobs. I thank God am blessed with my situation. I love my schedule (though it comes with challenges). Get to learn a full morning Seder. Still do mornings, dinner and bedtime with my kids. But to come thinking you will have your American job forever is irresponsible.

Thanks for sharing. Where do you guys live?
RBS A

We miss you :)

Are the costs for your wife to work really the same as what she's making?
Thanks. I'll probably come back at some point. Just went cold turkey (mostly to prove to myself that I could). I sent you a thank you email a couple of months ago. Not sure you got it.

I was exaggerating a little. Seminary teachers make like 95₪ an hour. We live in RBS and she'll be teaching in yerushalayim and she wants to be home when the kids come home. So she can work say 6 hours and be gone for 8. Gas is more than 80₪. Childcare let's says is around 15₪ an hour. She'll come home with something, but not much. Could she take the bus?  Probably, but we're spoiled Americans and that would mitigate her ability to get home on time

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2018, 02:47:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing!
 Just out of curiosity what to do you?

I work as an administrator in a american yeshiva. I am also a Old City/Kosel Tunnels Tour guide. (PM me for the dansdeals discount on private tours! :)  My wife is a Individual/Family Therapist (www.therapyjerusalem.com). BH we live here happily and successfully. I find that most people who "cant" make it here, Live in a USA bubble while here, never acclimate with any non americans, dont learn the language, dont want to work hard.   

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2018, 02:53:32 AM »
pasta is cheap-  I dont find veggies to be expensive or low quality. I pay about 6nis for cucumbers per kilo. (2.2Lbs)
Basic vegetables (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, peppers, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes) are neither expensive nor low quality.
Other veggies are not the best quality.
Fruits you can only get in season. We don't have a million Apple choices like you have in America. Just paid 19₪/kilo for some pink lady apples because haven't had in a long time.
Meat is more expensive. But they have bulk meat sales with imported meat from Argentina. I just bought a box of brisket for 40₪/kilo

Before pesach, prices don't go up in supermarkets. There are gmachs which run cost sales, selling most things you need for pesach at cost (it's not marketed for people who are in need-everyone is encouraged to participate as that scales the operation)

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2018, 02:56:27 AM »
But they have bulk meat sales with imported meat from Argentina. I just bought a box of brisket for 40₪/kilo
Before pesach, prices don't go up in supermarkets. There are gmachs which run cost sales, selling most things you need for pesach at cost (it's not marketed for people who are in need-everyone is encouraged to participate as that scales the operation)
+1
Exactly! Same here- got meat from the bulk sale and bought most of my pesach goods from the area "gmach"  sales.

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
I have found meat to be really cheap...I paid 80Sheqel for 2 Kilo of Flanken.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »
I have found meat to be really cheap...I paid 80Sheqel for 2 Kilo of Flanken.
Depends on the hechsher...