Author Topic: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?  (Read 31468 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
This

I always buy fresh. If i freeze then i cook and consume. Otherwise prep and freeze ready to be cooked full meals, i.e. breaded cutlets .

Contradicts this

Our meat gets frozen only once. Either before prep or after its bought fresh and cooked.   
But I'll stop learning this like a Gemara.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
I lived in yehuda and shomron mostly, 6 months in gush katif, 3.5 years jerusalem total.

When I had my online business from Israel, I had nightmares always, a broken laptop charger ? 100+ nis to fix the cord.. good luck buying another. The high cost of electronics there and pretty much everything else still pisses me off.

Something that is a 8$ uber in miami is a 150 shekel taxi ride in jerusalem

I detest that everything is a game with them, its dishonest to me that innocent tourists get ripped off and I hate the fight, its childish. I want a stupid taxi ride / air conditioner, give me a reasonable quote.

I dont know how stuff like online shopping has changed things, in my day the only place to pay decent prices on books was sefer vasefel on 2 yabetz.

But in my opinion, anything that is not mass market junk, is prohibitively expensive.

Fish is expensive like hell and you cant rely on it for sushi / gravlax mostly as they dont inspect for worms.

As @hvaces42 said, the meat cuts are laughable. Sure you can go to butcher shops and have fresh cut meat to your liking but its expensive

Gas at 4$ a gallon, 17% VAT. and its endless.

I have my issues that extend far beyond the simple economics. The protektzia, the ineptness of the government and private sector, the cartel and monopolies of the private sector, mafia dominated control. Political system is a joke every one is fighting.. The chareidim dont work, the Chilonim I dunno..

America isnt perfect but after 7-9 years of Israel, ive come to appreciate America. 2nd amendment, Habous corpus, trial by a jury of your peers.. the constitution and the bill of rights.

I was in Gush Katif, I was in  Amona. As they say about conservatives here, once you get arrested.. etc.

I love eretz yisrael with all my hear and soul. After watching 200+ get transported to the hospital at amona, i'm done with the state of israel. I still remember the head of MDA jerusalem screaming at this high ranking general that MDA has no more available ambulances in the region

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »
This

Contradicts this

But I'll stop learning this like a Gemara.
It doesnt. Buy fresh, freeze raw and cook once. Buy fresh, prep and freeze to be cooked. Buy fresh cook and freeze cooked.

Thats all.

Never buy frozen. And for sure Never buy frozen, thaw, cook and refreeze
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »
When I'm in Israel for longer periods Osher ad generally has great produce. But I've been there on days when some of the produce wasn't that nice.

I'm general I'd say like all countries they have produce that tastes better there and things that don't. And certain things you can't get.

Not that this pertains to finance exactly.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
It doesnt. Buy fresh, freeze raw and cook once. Buy fresh, prep and freeze to be cooked. Buy fresh cook and freeze cooked.

Thats all.

Never buy frozen. And for sure Never buy frozen, thaw, cook and refreeze

buy fresh, cook, eat.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
buy fresh, cook, eat.
You're obviously not cooking for a family with 2 working parents.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
+1000000 more like buy fresh on Sunday cook freeze for the week

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »

Nope, 32 and single. Fish store near my office on the way home. I eat fish 5 days a week, stop by store every other day.

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »
I lived in yehuda and shomron mostly, 6 months in gush katif, 3.5 years jerusalem total.

When I had my online business from Israel, I had nightmares always, a broken laptop charger ? 100+ nis to fix the cord.. good luck buying another. The high cost of electronics there and pretty much everything else still pisses me off.

Something that is a 8$ uber in miami is a 150 shekel taxi ride in jerusalem

I detest that everything is a game with them, its dishonest to me that innocent tourists get ripped off and I hate the fight, its childish. I want a stupid taxi ride / air conditioner, give me a reasonable quote.

I dont know how stuff like online shopping has changed things, in my day the only place to pay decent prices on books was sefer vasefel on 2 yabetz.

But in my opinion, anything that is not mass market junk, is prohibitively expensive.

Fish is expensive like hell and you cant rely on it for sushi / gravlax mostly as they dont inspect for worms.

As @hvaces42 said, the meat cuts are laughable. Sure you can go to butcher shops and have fresh cut meat to your liking but its expensive

Gas at 4$ a gallon, 17% VAT. and its endless.

I have my issues that extend far beyond the simple economics. The protektzia, the ineptness of the government and private sector, the cartel and monopolies of the private sector, mafia dominated control. Political system is a joke every one is fighting.. The chareidim dont work, the Chilonim I dunno..

America isnt perfect but after 7-9 years of Israel, ive come to appreciate America. 2nd amendment, Habous corpus, trial by a jury of your peers.. the constitution and the bill of rights.

I was in Gush Katif, I was in  Amona. As they say about conservatives here, once you get arrested.. etc.

I love eretz yisrael with all my hear and soul. After watching 200+ get transported to the hospital at amona, i'm done with the state of israel. I still remember the head of MDA jerusalem screaming at this high ranking general that MDA has no more available ambulances in the region
:'(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
Nope, 32 and single. Fish store near my office on the way home. I eat fish 5 days a week, stop by store every other day.
Not worried about mercury?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
Not worried about mercury?
The amount of mercury in certain types of fish varies greatly. For instance, the average adult could eat 13 ounces of fresh salmon per day while staying under the EPA recommended maximum. You should avoid swordfish, though—eating just 0.14 ounces, a mere forkful, would put you over the limit.

I eat mostly salmon from Farroe islands http://salmon-from-the-faroe-islands.com/

I switch around to other types too. I eat red meat once a week, max 2. Chicken also 1-2 times a week. I cut out anything processed, no white rice or white bread, only brown / black and organic, occasionally Zak bread.

I am trying to eat mostly vegetables, fish, eggs, fruits and grains

And of course wine, thats the staple of my diet, half a bottle or more a day and I weigh 158 and im 5'10

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
Also recently cut out white potatos. I eat a ton of bok choy, asparagous, brocoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, squash / zuchni, carrots etc If you how to sautee and oven roast this is the most incredible food.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »
One thing I have not found at all is the government bureaucracy everyone talks about. My interactions with the misrad hapnim, misrad haklitah, etc. Have all been extremely efficient and everyone has been friendly. I don't know if I just got lucky or things are changing.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
One thing I have not found at all is the government bureaucracy everyone talks about. My interactions with the misrad hapnim, misrad haklitah, etc. Have all been extremely efficient and everyone has been friendly. I don't know if I just got lucky or things are changing.
that ;D
#TYH

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2018, 01:33:39 AM »
+100

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2018, 01:36:55 AM »
how long to learn the language? how did your kids adapt?

I moved here with 4 kids ages 6-4 month old, within 3 weeks they were talking a better hebrew then I was. Granted I moved to Haifa so they had almost no interaction with the English language at all. They all loved their Gan and Schools here without one day of tears about their old school. I thank Hashem for this because I have heard the horror stories. Butwe made aliya with the idea we would not live in an "Americanized" area in Israel, we wanted all hebrew with a few american families. We lucked out BH!!

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2018, 02:01:46 AM »
I eat mostly salmon from Farroe islands http://salmon-from-the-faroe-islands.com/

I switch around to other types too. I eat red meat once a week, max 2. Chicken also 1-2 times a week. I cut out anything processed, no white rice or white bread, only brown / black and organic, occasionally Zak bread.

I am trying to eat mostly vegetables, fish, eggs, fruits and grains

And of course wine, thats the staple of my diet, half a bottle or more a day and I weigh 158 and im 5'10

Oh, man. Are we gonna have this conversation again?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2018, 02:30:18 AM »
that ;D
I don't think that's true. I think there are other factors involved, but we can leave that for another day.

This thread is too funny.
If you need access to every cut of meat at cheap prices or sushi will decide where you are going to live, then yeah, Israel is not for you. (Funny they just yesterday my Israeli friends were making fun of Americans about sushi). But it's not the way it was 20 years ago. You won't suffer from lack of access to things. Is it frustrating that LED bulbs die a few months after installing them? Yes, but I choose not to let that bother me.

If you want to be מקיים מצות ישוב הארץ, live in the land אשר תמיד עיני ה' אלוקיך בה, in the Jewish Homeland, throw your lot in with the destiny of the Jewish people, in communities where רוחניות is the main goal, that are built around תורה and יראת שמים and are willing to compromise on some creature comforts to do it, then you can have the discussion in this thread. Are there challenges? For sure. But it's largely a question of attitude.

If anyone is serious about this and want to discuss תכלית, feel free to PM me and we can set up a time to discuss. Or if you want to come check it out and need accommodations RBS A for shabbos, just drop me a line.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2018, 03:00:11 AM »

My first years in israel i had some issues. Last five years where overall pretty straightforward and simple. I used to hate the banking system- its improved immensely. Misrad hapanim is not 2 bad. Gun permit is simple, as long as you qualify. 

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2018, 05:38:04 AM »
I think we can all agree that most people are going to need some time to get used to things when moving to Israel.  It's a different country. With different rules. Things run differently there. It's a whole new language for some.    Needing a good few years to really get to a place where you're used to things doesn't seem far fetched.
I think the average person who makes Aliyah will struggle at some point. There's a lot of change to get used to. And I don't think that has much to do with financial issues. 

"Not all who wander are lost"