Author Topic: Volvo- Federal emmisions warranty - Do I have a good case on my side?  (Read 719 times)

Offline metsgiantsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I would like to hear some peoples opinions on this matter.  I bought a Volvo in 2008. It came with a 6 year warranty. A short time after my warranty expired I was told by the volvo dealership that my car needed a new Catalytic converter. They quoted me approx $3000 for this repair, which I declined due to the cost. Every time I went back to the same dealer, or a different volvo dealer, they always told me that I needed a new catalytic converter which I declined each time.   I have had a few issues recently w my car and Im wondering if its a result of a bad converter. While browsing online I came to a website which said that catalytic converter warranty goes BEYOND the manufacture warranty and is covered by the "emission control warranty" for 8 years (this is federally regulated).   NO ONE has ever told me this. I was only recommended to purchase a new one bc my warranty was expired.  I called volvo corporate today and they were so nasty! They told me the 8 year emission warranty is correct but since the car is over 10 years old , they cant do anything. I told them I have diagnosis receipts from the volvo dealer while the car was under 8 years old and under 80,000 miles to prove that this was recommended earlier on but they wanted to charge me.  She didnt really want to hear it and suggested I get my car taken care of and speak to the manager at a dealership (sure, Im sure he will throw in a converter + a new car for my troubles).    i have spent some money through the years at local mechanics ban dating this issue..      Do you think volvo should repair this free of charge? If they refuse, do you think I could/should pursue a law suit? any tips/ideas?  thank you! 

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Volvo- Federal emmisions warranty - Do I have a good case on my side?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »
Sounds frustrating. Good luck either way.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Volvo- Federal emmisions warranty - Do I have a good case on my side?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:02:04 PM »
Send an email to Jalopnik.com or a similar site that caters to car enthusiasts. Try to get them to use their clout to help you out. And don't forget to report back.

Good luck!