Author Topic: Venice to Zurich - Train or Car?  (Read 4269 times)

Offline mguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Venice to Zurich - Train or Car?
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
Hi,

If one of the local experts could lend a hand, I'd much appreciate it!

I'm planning to arrive in VCE on a Monday morning and depart from ZRH on Fri morning. I figured I'd stay in Venice the first night and Zurich the last night. That leaves Tue and Wed night in between - hopefully in St Moritz or similar. Would you recommend I do the traveling by train or car? Any other suggestions on where to stay?

Looks like there are a few options for train routes. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Venice to Zurich - Train or Car?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
If you're on a mileage ticket you should be able to get a flight from VCE-ZRH for free.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:05:21 PM »
Hmmm... Interesting option. Yes, I'm on a mileage ticket (probably CO). But I was thinking that the time through the alps would be the highlight (I've never seen the area before). My primary objective is to see the natural beauty, so for me Zurich is just a place to catch a return flight.

With that in mind, would you go by car/train? Or is there still enough to see close to ZRH that it makes sense to cut out the long haul in between?

I know some of this is probably personal preference, but I'm eager to hear suggestions from you guys that are familiar with the area.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
A train from venice to st. Moritz will be a big pain and take along time, as they cant take a direct route. The drive from venice to st. Moritz is 4.5 hours, its a very nice drive. St. Moritz is beautiful (i am there now). You might just pay a heavy fee on the rental car for a oneway to a diffrent country.other idea: take a night train from venice to zuerich, its longer then driving, but you are anyway sleeping and save a night in a hotel. They have in first class nice beds- dont ask me for the price- i think you would save this way, as you save a day of car rental, oneway fee and hotel...
Google the italian website for the train company, you will find info there...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:31:59 PM »
other idea: take a night train from venice to zuerich, its longer then driving, but you are anyway sleeping and save a night in a hotel. They have in first class nice beds- dont ask me for the price- i think you would save this way, as you save a day of car rental, oneway fee and hotel...
Google the italian website for the train company, you will find info there...
Is that better then just taking the free mileage mileage flight from VCE-ZRH and renting a car there?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 06:00:14 PM »
Thanks a lot for the ideas. In the end, I think I will switch my return to Milan. So I'll do Venice, drive into the Alps for 2 days, and back down to Milan. I understand Milan is not great destination, but it's fine - anyway will just get some food, stay the night and head back home.

Anyone have any recommendations for driving routes from Venice to St. Moritz and then to Milan? Would prefer different routes instead of backtracking.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »
If you are going in August you will not be able to get kosher food in Milan. Everything is closed (as unbelievable as that sounds).
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
Park Hyatt Milan is supposed to be among the best.

Offline md

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
If you are going in August you will not be able to get kosher food in Milan. Everything is closed (as unbelievable as that sounds).

Oh my, thanks for pointing that out. I would have been very disappointed to find out coming into Milan hungry!

If no restaurants, are there at least takeout or kosher markets open? Or do you literally mean nothing open?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »
IME nothing was open, but you are welcome to double check
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.