Tzadik Nistar
@Yehuda - 1 day trip
sam28
Sam28 St Moritz Switzerland kosher Grand Hotel Kempinski
Yehudaa - 18-hour Zurich stopover

Kosher food list 2022

Zurich
HOTELS
-The Park Hyatt is fantastic and a 10 minute walk to shul.
Tram stop: Stockerstrasse

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

Florentin - Located inside he JCC https://florentin.rest/
Tram stop: Bahnhof Enge

Grill Cave

Food truck. Check website for opening hours. Burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs etc.
https://www.thegrillcave.co/

Milk/Parve:

Babi's Bagels (Bederstrasse corner Klopstockstrasse 8002 Zürich) Tram Stop "Waffenplatzstrasse"

Bakery:
Ma'Adan Bakery
Manessestrasse/Schimmelstrasse
Has delicious pastries and also sells sandwiches, salads, and some sushi.

Butcher:
Metzgerei Kol Tuv

Can preorder for pickup.
Can also deliver throughout Switzerland by post.
See website for details.

https://www.koltuv.ch/en

ATTRACTIONS
-Walk around the lake area
-Bahnhofstrasse window shopping
-Take a train to Lucerne and buy the golden ticket, included a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, cogwheel train and tram. Then take bus back to Lucerne
-When you arrive in Lucerne you can go to the tourist office to see a live view from Mount Pilatus (Or you can check online). If it's cloudy skip the cogwheel train and just take a nice boatride and explore the town, ancient bridges, and walk on top of the old city fortress walls.

Options in the Alps

Arosa: Metropol Hotel - quaint little old hotel. Not very fancy - it's like honeymooning in your grandmother's house (HT: Mrs. Moishebatchy). The food is very basic, but delicious. Mikva on premises. If skiing is your thing, the have an agreement with one of the ski places (Härtner) not to charge Metropol customers for ski rentals over Shabbos.

Need a meal on shabbes, please PM me (Chuchem). I live 15 minute walk from the hyatt, close to chabad. Zürich has no eiruv!

Major Attractions
“Please edit the wiki to add more attractions”

Central Switzerland
-Lucerne, Pilatus Offers: Cogwheel, Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mini Zip-line and fun area
-Titlis Offers: Gondolas, Snow Tubing, Trutti Bikes, Ice Museum, Row Boating
-Brunni Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Stroll in Lake(!)

Jungfrau Region
-Jungfrau/jungfraujoch Click here for the Kosher hotel in Wengen / 360-degree panorama of Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe
-Grindelwald Offers: Gondolas, mega Zip-line, Trutti Bikes

Eastern Switzerland
-St. Moritz
Davos / Klosters
Arosa Click here for the Kosher Levins hotel

Southern Switzerland
-Zermatt - "Matterhorn"
-Saas-Fee Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mega Zip-line, Trotti Bikes, (Saas-Grund has Monster Trotteres) and on top of "Allalin" you can go Snow Tubing and Skiing even in the summer!
-Crans Montana You can email the Kosher hotel in Crans Montana Hotelmk@gmail.com  or call them at 0032485640498 or 003233011600

HalbTax Pass

A HalbTax pass (or Half Fare card) is a card designated for tourists and not for Swiss residents (officially...). The card gives you half price on all public transportation like buses, trains, trams, boats and also on "most" cable cars (attractions). There are basically 4 kinds.

1) An annual pass, the price is currently 175 francs. If i remember correctly it has a photo ID of the recipient, so double check before sharing it.
Click here for the annual pass

2) A 30 day pass, the price is currently 120 francs, it does not have a photo ID on it.
Click here or here for the 30 day pass

3) - Recommended for frequent traveling Swiss Travel Pass - you prepay a set amount per day and get unlimited for that day (plus "optional" for a fee, for 1 month including the days you chose, it is a HalbTax, even on the prepaid free days, it's only free for all transportation, on cable cars you only get half off). The price per day depends on how many days you prepay, for example if you prepay 8 days, the price per day will be about 53 francs, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 73 francs. If you are 25 y/o or younger, you can get the Youth Pass which is cheaper - If you prepay 8 days  the price per day will be about 40 francs a day, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 62 francs.
Click here (or here) for the prepaid pass

The card comes with a few days “you could chose your dates later”, officially when you want to use a certain day for the free day you should fill in on the pass that date, and when the first conductor comes he punches that day, but technically you can leave the date blank until the conductor comes, that way you have a chance if no conductor asks you for your card (happens quite often) you can save it for the next day :)

4) Swiss Transfer Ticket" This card costs 141 francs and is valid for 2 trips from and to the boarder or airport, for example you are traveling from the airport to Arosa and are not planning to go anywhere else or take any other transportation, with this card you will effectively pay 71 francs per way. This card is only valid for trips to and from the airport or boarder and no (long) stops allowed. Technically if you will travel one more day, the Swiss travel pass mentioned above will probably be cheaper.

Make sure to order your pass a few weeks before leaving, it takes about 1-3 weeks for the pass to arrive. But you can always buy it in the Airport, though you might have to wait in line and also if you want to buy the Youth pass (for 25 y/o or younger) they might ask you for proof...

There is also a family pass if you travel with a large family, I am not familiar with that.

Fast Baggage
There is a service via SBB, They deliver your luggage for you!! For example you are traveling from ZRH to Arosa, you don't want to be busy Shlepping around your luggage, You can check in your luggage in the airport and they (SBB) will deliver it to the train station in Arosa. This service is available "from and to" most train stations in Switzerland. You can ask about the Fast Baggage by any train station or read here or here

You can even buy a tag that you put on the luggage before checking in your luggage in any airport (i.e. JFK) and Rail Europe will take your luggage from the airplane in Switzerland and deliver it either to your hotel or to the train station in the city you're going to.  Read about Flight Luggage Here

PS. When doing research and getting to a website in German, just add /en (after .ch) to translate to English.
And Hey, Don't forget to write a TR ;)

Sample Itinerary for 9 hour stopover on Swiss flight from TLV to U.S. that lands at 810 and takes off around 5
Copied from @cholent:
Here it is: landed in zrh, crazy line for entering country but moved pretty quickly, about half an hour. Picked up sim in the airport. Rented car through Priceline from europecar. Drove to Titlis, stunning scenery along drive. Missed a turnoff because I couldn't get Waze to talk and I was trying to do some stuff online while we were driving, added half an hour to get there, but the stunning scenery made it worthwhile. Got there, parked, you pay at the entrance if you're going to park for more than an hour. Paid, took the cable car. Got off at there halfway station by mistake, gorgeous lake. Went back on and back up to the top. It was somewhat cloudy which was a pity. Suspension bridge was fun but no view because of the clouds. Took the ice flyer to the other peak, then went sledding down the hill, lots of fun. No tubing because there wasn't enough snow. We didn't have enough time for the ice cave because of the extra time driving there and we weren't sure where it was anyway. Made some new Israeli friends and took the cable car down with them. Got back to the airport, returning the car took less than five minutes, getting through the airport took a little longer so we didn't have time for showers at the lounge. It was amazing all around, I would definitely recommend

« Last edited by yyzzrh on October 20, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Author Topic: Switzerland Master Thread  (Read 604363 times)

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Switzerland Master Thread
« Reply #1680 on: July 20, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
How long before my flight should I be back at the airport? No checking baggage and flying business

Common for people that live in Zürich, they check-in online, and leave their house 45 minutes before their flight, and they always
make it, when they are traveling with just carry-on baggage only. Just flying to the US, might need additional time, as there are additional security checks.

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: July 20, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
Common for people that live in Zürich, they check-in online, and leave their house 45 minutes before their flight, and they always
make it, when they are traveling with just carry-on baggage only. Just flying to the US, might need additional time, as there are additional security checks.
I really appreciate all your info here. I am traveling to the US, how much time might you estimate is needed?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Shlomo1986

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: July 20, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
The fines vary depending on which canton you are in. (There are 26 of them in .ch )

In ZH - Red Light 250 CHF  (You get a letter with a photo in the mail stating that you were in the intersection a few milliseconds after it turned red. Traffic lights change from yellow to red faster quite quickly.

Fines for crossing a solid line.. Do not make an illegal u-turn, and do switch into a turning lane well in advance, as when you are approaching the intersection there might be a solid line, and if you then change into turning lane you get another fine.

Plus, if there is a person laying down in the middle of the motorway with the intention of committing suicide, and you accidentally run them over while driving below the speed limit, you will still be convicted of negligent homicide.  See: https://www.thelocal.ch/20170622/swiss-court-convicts-driver-for-killing-suicidal-woman-who-lay-on-motorway

Also:
https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-over-speed-limit/

https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classified-compilation/19960142/index.html#app1ahref1 (German)

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/driver-faces--1-000-000-speeding-fine/23091098

Sounds like the train may be a better option. :)

Glad I live in the USA

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: July 21, 2017, 05:39:07 AM »
Sounds like the train may be a better option. :)

Glad I live in the USA

I am not implying that one shouldn't drive. The roads are fairly simple to navigate, even without a GPS, but one should take some time and learn the Swiss traffic law regulations, e.g. daytime driving lights are mandatory, you are not allowed to overtake on the right even if the left lane is blocked by a slower driver. Seat belts mandatory front and back. You not allowed to have more passengers in car, then the cars legal occupancy, e.g. 5 passengers in a car, and 7 in a minivan. There are many intersections that do not have traffic controls, where 2 or 3 or more roads merge at an intersection, the vehicles on the right (even bicycles have priority). Do know about parking zones, see: https://newinzurich.com/parking-in-zurich/  and http://www.swissvistas.com/driving-in-switzerland.html

Also, in Switzerland, nobody cuts a long line of cars at an exit, you have to stop for a pedestrian at a zebra crossing, even if the pedestrian hasn't entered the crosswalk yet, and you are at high speed, unless there is a traffic signal.

As far as the speeding, also there are measured speed deductions, allowing you a margin to go over the speed limit.

Speeds to 100km/h: - 3 Laser fix, -5 Radar Fix, -7 Radar moblie
101-150km/h: - 4 Laser fix, -6 Radar Fix, -8 Radar moblie
over 150km/h: -5 Laser fix, -7 Radar Fix, -9 Radar mobile

Also, in Europe, the speedometers show a higher speed than you are actually driving. The European Union requires adherence to UN ECE Regulation 39, "no speedometer can read slower than the actual speed. On the high side, it’s allowed to read up to 10% above the actual speed plus four or six kilometers per hour, depending on the type of vehicle."

Glad I don't live in the USA. Switzerland has very low amount of traffic accidents and road fatalities each year, traffic flows very fast & smoothly. Plus, the norm in Switzerland, is that kids (from age 5) walk to kindergarten and school alone.

When I visit New York, amazing to see how even the pedestrians do not care about traffic lights, ignore do not walk signals, e.g. mothers with baby carriages speaking on their mobile phones, walk against red, holding up car traffic. Messed up country.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: July 21, 2017, 06:21:45 AM »
Plus, if there is a person laying down in the middle of the motorway with the intention of committing suicide, and you accidentally run them over while driving below the speed limit, you will still be convicted of negligent homicide.  See: https://www.thelocal.ch/20170622/swiss-court-convicts-driver-for-killing-suicidal-woman-who-lay-on-motorway

Are you seriously worrying about that happening? Did it happen more than once since ששת ימי המעשה?

That would be probably considered a homicide in the US as well, and probably in Din Torah (barring special dinim of פרט לממציא את עצמו etc)

I've driven plenty of times in Switzerland without studying the standard driving rules and have had no issue.
But if a 200-300 CHF fine will ruin somebody's vacation they really should be staying home.

The conventional wisdom that trains are superior to cars in Switzerland is wrong once you take into account cars are often faster and you aren't stuck without a car once in the mountains.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:31 AM »
Are you seriously worrying about that happening? Did it happen more than once since ששת ימי המעשה?

That would be probably considered a homicide in the US as well, and probably in Din Torah (barring special dinim of פרט לממציא את עצמו etc)

I've driven plenty of times in Switzerland without studying the standard driving rules and have had no issue.
But if a 200-300 CHF fine will ruin somebody's vacation they really should be staying home.

The conventional wisdom that trains are superior to cars in Switzerland is wrong once you take into account cars are often faster and you aren't stuck without a car once in the mountains.

I doubt that would be considered a punishable homicide in most other countries, as the driver had no intention to run over the suicidal person laying in the middle of the motorway, and the driver was going below the speed limit but wasn't able to stop in time.

Yes, most people are able to drive here without studying the driving rules, and do not get tickets -- but I know plenty of people that accumulated large fines over their short stay because they were careless about speeding. I remember a tzedakah collector from Israel got caught in a speed trap in a 20km/h zone, and members of the community had to "bail" him out as he didn't have the funds to pay.

The European mentality is that if you go on holiday -- you stay in one place, and from there go everywhere by foot or public transportation. Also, many villages in the Alps are car-free, e.g. Saas Fee, Mürren, Wengen, Zermatt. Also, some villages, like Arosa have a Nachtfahrverbot  (prohibition to drive at night) between 00h00 and 06h00.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 21, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
I am not implying that one shouldn't drive. The roads are fairly simple to navigate, even without a GPS, but one should take some time and learn the Swiss traffic law regulations, e.g. daytime driving lights are mandatory, you are not allowed to overtake on the right even if the left lane is blocked by a slower driver. Seat belts mandatory front and back. You not allowed to have more passengers in car, then the cars legal occupancy, e.g. 5 passengers in a car, and 7 in a minivan. There are many intersections that do not have traffic controls, where 2 or 3 or more roads merge at an intersection, the vehicles on the right (even bicycles have priority). Do know about parking zones, see: https://newinzurich.com/parking-in-zurich/  and http://www.swissvistas.com/driving-in-switzerland.html

Also, in Switzerland, nobody cuts a long line of cars at an exit, you have to stop for a pedestrian at a zebra crossing, even if the pedestrian hasn't entered the crosswalk yet, and you are at high speed, unless there is a traffic signal.

As far as the speeding, also there are measured speed deductions, allowing you a margin to go over the speed limit.

Also, in Europe, the speedometers show a higher speed than you are actually driving. The European Union requires adherence to UN ECE Regulation 39, "no speedometer can read slower than the actual speed. On the high side, it’s allowed to read up to 10% above the actual speed plus four or six kilometers per hour, depending on the type of vehicle."

Glad I don't live in the USA. Switzerland has very low amount of traffic accidents and road fatalities each year, traffic flows very fast & smoothly. Plus, the norm in Switzerland, is that kids (from age 5) walk to kindergarten and school alone.

When I visit New York, amazing to see how even the pedestrians do not care about traffic lights, ignore do not walk signals, e.g. mothers with baby carriages speaking on their mobile phones, walk against red, holding up car traffic. Messed up country.
I drove in Switzerland. It's actually very easy to drive there as everyone is very proper and polite. But you have to be careful to follow the reulrs to the T. All the roads are clearly marked, and the speed limits clearly posted.

Offline The best man

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: July 23, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »
Hi

Does someone know where there in minyanim In Davos this summer 2017, please give a rundown.

As well is there anywhere to get some cooked food take out, weekday shabbes
Thanks  ;)

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Shlomo1986

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: July 24, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »

What would be the cheapest option for a one day pass  to get to Mt Rigi, cograil up the mountain and take the cruise on lake Lucerne? Is the 3 day pass the only option?

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: July 24, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
What would be the cheapest option for a one day pass  to get to Mt Rigi, cograil up the mountain and take the cruise on lake Lucerne? Is the 3 day pass the only option?
Finding a ZRH resident to buy a pass for you :) (officially cheapest way)

Offline Shlomo1986

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: July 24, 2017, 08:58:34 PM »
Finding a ZRH resident to buy a pass for you :) (officially cheapest way)

That would be great if i knew someone that lived there  :) What would be my second option?

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #1692 on: July 24, 2017, 09:52:30 PM »
Maybe someone with knowledge can help me.

I bought a ticket (I can still cancel) for the return from Zurich to NY with the 10 am flight on a Sunday.
My problem now is, how can I get from Saas Fee on time for this flight? Motzei Shabbos is very late and the earliest bus from Saas Fee to Visp to take the train is 6 am. That train only arrives at the airport 45 minutes before the flight.

The alternative later flights are hundreds of dollars more per ticket. My wife wouldn't hear about a connection with a baby.

Is there a way to take a taxi for a normal price? Complicating everything is that only electric cars are allowed in the town.

Anybody can help a fellow DDF'er?
I can cancel the ticket until tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: July 25, 2017, 03:46:46 AM »
Maybe someone with knowledge can help me.

I bought a ticket (I can still cancel) for the return from Zurich to NY with the 10 am flight on a Sunday.
My problem now is, how can I get from Saas Fee on time for this flight? Motzei Shabbos is very late and the earliest bus from Saas Fee to Visp to take the train is 6 am. That train only arrives at the airport 45 minutes before the flight.

The alternative later flights are hundreds of dollars more per ticket. My wife wouldn't hear about a connection with a baby.

Is there a way to take a taxi for a normal price? Complicating everything is that only electric cars are allowed in the town.

Anybody can help a fellow DDF'er?
I can cancel the ticket until tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Only alternative I can forsee is that if you can arrange a taxi / private transfer from the Saas Fee car park to Visp early in the morning. From Visp, there is a direct train at 05:54 hr, arriving at the ZRH airport at 08:16 hr.  Otherwise, there is direct 11:45 hr flight from Geneva to New York.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: July 25, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »
Only alternative I can forsee is that if you can arrange a taxi / private transfer from the Saas Fee car park to Visp early in the morning. From Visp, there is a direct train at 05:54 hr, arriving at the ZRH airport at 08:16 hr.  Otherwise, there is direct 11:45 hr flight from Geneva to New York.

Thanks!

And do the electric taxis work in the middle of the night?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: July 25, 2017, 06:34:19 AM »
Thanks!

And do the electric taxis work in the middle of the night?

Saas Fee Night Taxi +41 27 958 77 00 ( 22:00 to 7:00 )

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: July 25, 2017, 08:45:48 AM »

Thanks a million!

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: July 25, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »

I called them. They only have night taxis in the winter.

The kind lady gave me a number to Taxi Eldeweiss that also does in the summer in Saas Fee with the electric cars. +41 77 443 7332. I called them. They are available at night, in the summer as well. Costs 25 CHF....

Also a regular taxi to take from outside town. Paulireisen +41 27 957 1757. It's 125 CHF to Visp. Not sure if it's only that price at night.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:53:18 AM by Moshe123 »

Online flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: July 25, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
If you buy the half pass you can buy a day pass. You can use the half pass on most cograils etc. You might not even gain with the day pass. It seems that you would have to figure out real prices to know for sure.

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 02, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »
Anyone have info on current Saas Fee minyan?