Author Topic: Renters Insurance Question  (Read 8545 times)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Renters Insurance Question
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
i only mentioned sewer back up as an example of an extra coverage that can change the price. try comparing both declarations pages and see what each company is offering.
That's the only difference I noticed in my quick comparison. My insurance company added it as an optional coverage only recently. 

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
That's the only difference I noticed in my quick comparison. My insurance company added it as an optional coverage only recently. 

who do you have now?

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
who do you have now?
Liberty Mutual. Have a pretty good rate, especially with their auto policy. I have a $130 yearly discount on the auto policy for the home/auto combo, but I will still save $300 a year by going to Lemonade assuming coverage and reliability is the same.

ETA: They got back to me that they don't do residences with a rental unit yet. So it's not relevant for me at this point.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:27:19 PM by yelped »

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 04:10:35 PM »
It's not available everywhere (e.g. not in OH) but if you live in NY, NJ, TX, IL, CA you can get a quote (which covers most frum communities).

Well guess what. As of today, they are open for business in OH too.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
ETA: They got back to me that they don't do residences with a rental unit yet. So it's not relevant for me at this point.

If you were referring to Lemonade with that remark, I'm not surprised. Pretty much anyone can get a renter's policy from them, but if you want homeowners coverage they only have the plainest, vanilla-est policy to offer. Even if that's all you want, they may  decide not to quote you, which is nothing personal (just some risk concentration formula probably)
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2017, 04:21:14 PM »
If you were referring to Lemonade with that remark, I'm not surprised. Pretty much anyone can get a renter's policy from them, but if you want homeowners coverage they only have the plainest, vanilla-est policy to offer. Even if that's all you want, they may  decide not to quote you, which is nothing personal (just some risk concentration formula probably)

I was emailing this dumb AI bot, Maya. Don't think it was necessarily accurate, but if they can't be bothered to get a human answering at least some emails for the more detailed questions, then I don't think it makes sense to have my home insured by them.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »
I was emailing this dumb AI bot, Maya. Don't think it was necessarily accurate, but if they can't be bothered to get a human answering at least some emails for the more detailed questions, then I don't think it makes sense to have my home insured by them.

Probbly true. They really cant afford to be in the homeowner space and they know it. So they are being very selective and only quoting if it seems like zero risk. If you need extra attention they seem happier not to have you.  The size of a homeowner claim can be huge compared to renters, lasst time I checked their reported financials over 60% of premium went to paying 2 HO claims.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »
Probbly true. They really cant afford to be in the homeowner space and they know it. So they are being very selective and only quoting if it seems like zero risk. If you need extra attention they seem happier not to have you.  The size of a homeowner claim can be huge compared to renters, lasst time I checked their reported financials over 60% of premium went to paying 2 HO claims.
That's not too good...