Author Topic: Newlywed Furniture  (Read 15126 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Newlywed Furniture
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
Where did you guys/gals buy furniture for your first apartment/hole in the wall/home/mansion?

i.e. living room: couch, book cases, media center, etc / dining room: table, chairs, etc / kitchen: silverware, china, appliances / bedroom: beds, frames, dresser, chest, etc
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Newlywed Furniture
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »
What are you looking for? I bought most of my furniture used, but I was in iSrael - here in america, I'll probably be moving to a new apartment soon, and I'm planning on using the "free" section of craigslist. You can get lots of free furniture there, some of it good quality.

And even if you're worried about bedbugs, you can still get things like table and bookshelves (I've often seen people post nice-looking dining room and kitchen tables, and even breakfronts).

Offline Columbiadorm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Delta Silver Medallion, SPG Gold
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »
Bob's Discount Furniture. I strongly suggest you go the 'The Pit'. They sell the damaged items there with serious markdowns. The damages can range from tiny scratches which most people don't care about. Never heard anyone complain about the deals they got there.

http://www.mybobs.com/locations

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
I got some great stuff for our first apartment from garage sales, craigslist, and then used Ikea to fill in the holes.

No point in spending $$ furnishing an apt.  Save it for when you buy a house.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:19:31 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline beny

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
whatever you do, i strongly suggest to stay away from some of the frum furniture stores in Brooklyn, I've had terrible experience at 3 of them. if your gonna buy a nice furniture set, i say go to raymour and flanigan instead.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »
No point in spending $$ furnishing an apt.  Save it for when you buy a house.
+1 The only thing I spent real money on was bookshelves and beds which should last through a move and are the same no matter what kind of room they are put in. Everything else I got from Ikea (or the people who had the apt before us). Furnished basically a whole apartment for just over $1000 (bedroom furniture, china cabinet, breakfront, etc.). Even if it only lasts the four or five years I plan on staying in my apartment it was well worth it.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
Even bookshelves/bookcases I got from Ikea.  Why spend good money on something when you don't even know if the size/color will be right for your future house?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
Even bookshelves/bookcases I got from Ikea.  Why spend good money on something when you don't even know if the size/color will be right for your future house?
When did you buy them. A few years ago Ikea changed the shelves on the bookcases and they are not really strong enough anymore (I found) to hold seforim. They sag in the middle very quickly. Depends on how much you want to put on the shelves obviously but this is my experience.
Other option for bookcases is staples had some pretty heavy duty ones for $95 or so but I think they may have went up in price

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
When did you buy them. A few years ago Ikea changed the shelves on the bookcases and they are not really strong enough anymore (I found) to hold seforim. They sag in the middle very quickly. Depends on how much you want to put on the shelves obviously but this is my experience.
Other option for bookcases is staples had some pretty heavy duty ones for $95 or so but I think they may have went up in price
The $49 billy bookshelves can hold 35 pounds per shelf without sagging.  Just fill up the ends and put something like a picture frame in the middle and they won't sag.  Even expensive bookshelves can sag if you fully load them.

Offline shach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Even bookshelves/bookcases
Costco recently had beautiful bookcases from solid wood don't sag(yet) when heavily loaded with moldings,lights 48inches wide for $250- a real steal! look it up if its still around(never saw it on-line)
http://www.baysidefurnishings.com/products/home-office/nfdbk.html

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
The $49 billy bookshelves can hold 35 pounds per shelf without sagging.  Just fill up the ends and put something like a picture frame in the middle and they won't sag.  Even expensive bookshelves can sag if you fully load them.
I've had fully loaded (really fully loaded) bookshelves for 2.5 years and have not had any issues at all. They are really intense bookshelves.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »
ashley's furniture is also a good place to look
whatever you do, i strongly suggest to stay away from some of the frum furniture stores in Brooklyn, I've had terrible experience at 3 of them. if your gonna buy a nice furniture set, i say go to raymour and flanigan instead.
i bought from one of those jewish places 4 years ago and everything is still good so dont know what your bad experience was

Offline Ym

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
For all its worth, I now regret buying furniture for my rental apt. I now need to move to a two bedroom apt and am having a hard time finding a big enough apt to fit the furniture!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
I just bought a couch from a jewish-owned place and have had many major issues.
The worst part is I'd feel terrible if I eventually need to do a chargeback, but wouldn't have felt even remotely guilty had I bought from a major store.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
yeah but the fact that it was froma frum store is not the reason why you are having problems
im sure every store has issues
im just saying that i didnt have any issues

Offline shach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
I just bought a couch from a jewish-owned place and have had many major issues.
The worst part is I'd feel terrible if I eventually need to do a chargeback, but wouldn't have felt even remotely guilty had I bought from a major store.
thought i was smart paying cash...too bad i didn't have the CC protections(warrantee/chargeback)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
thought i was smart paying cash...too bad i didn't have the CC protections(warrantee/chargeback)
NEVER pay cash on any major items. 

Online sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Have to mention that as far as beds, I would probably be hesitant about getting used, as far as begbugs (although supposedly, there's an electronic bedbug-sensor (saw it mentioned in popular science), costs about $250, I think, but would easily pay for itself after getting a couple of beds on craigslist, and they ALWAYS have beds for free)...

BUT - when I was last shopping for a bed (I was single, so nothing fancy, just a bed, box springs, and frame), I went to Sanders furtniture, and they were literally half the price of sleepy's. Sleepy's makes it sound like you're getting a great deal, because they'll easily offer you a few hundred dollars off, but realize that you can get them down to about half, or close to it. When I asked them about the price difference between them and Sander's, they told me that (gasp) Sander's was selling last year's model.

Me: So, uh, have there been any major developments in mattress technology since last year?

I paid about $550 for a bed I loved. I know that Dan is a huge fan of the W brand (I think that's what it's called), but I much prefer being able to try out the exact mattress before I buy it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
Blech, definitely would never touch a used mattress.
And there are plenty of Ws or Westins that would be happy to let you try out the bed ;)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »
Most people probably don't plan on staying too long in an apartment but practically speakjng wouldn't it make sense to buy some normal/nice/sturdy furniture if its gonna be a few years until you move out?