Author Topic: Newlywed Furniture  (Read 15173 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Newlywed Furniture
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
Most people probably don't plan on staying too long in an apartment but practically speakjng wouldn't it make sense to buy some normal/nice/sturdy furniture if its gonna be a few years until you move out?
Depends on your priorities.  Personally I would save the thousands of dollars that quality furniture costs and save up for a down payment on a house, knowing that furniture bought to match and fit in an apartment probably won't match or be the right fit for a house.

When we got married we got a great leather recliner that everyone falls in love with at a garage sale for $200 instead of $1,500.  A nice dining room set with comfy chairs for $150 at a garage sale instead of $1,500.  The Ikea dressers and china cabinet we got have been great and are also a fraction of the cost of real furniture, etc.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »
Bob's Discount Furniture. I strongly suggest you go the 'The Pit'. They sell the damaged items there with serious markdowns. The damages can range from tiny scratches which most people don't care about. Never heard anyone complain about the deals they got there.

http://www.mybobs.com/locations

+1. This is where we ended up going and getting stuff.

NEVER pay cash on any major items.

Seriously.

Blech, definitely would never touch a used mattress.
And there are plenty of Ws or Westins that would be happy to let you try out the bed ;)

Agreed. I could never sleep on a used matteress. Yuck.

Also, I bought two new plush tops from the W-Hotel store last 35% promotion. They're great.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »
Depends on your priorities.  Personally I would save the thousands of dollars that quality furniture costs and save up for a down payment on a house, knowing that furniture bought to match and fit in an apartment probably won't match or be the right fit for a house.

When we got married we got a great leather recliner that everyone falls in love with at a garage sale for $200 instead of $1,500.  A nice dining room set with comfy chairs for $150 at a garage sale instead of $1,500.  The Ikea dressers and china cabinet we got have been great and are also a fraction of the cost of real furniture, etc.

Ye, know those. Very nice indeed ;)

Personally, got some time till I need to worry about it...

When the 40% W sale was on, I almost bought a bed. My roommate didn't think it was so cool for my bed to take up half the room...
And W beds don't go in singles...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
Now, we need some book cases on the cheap... Ikea the way to go?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »
ikea has really good bookcases
just got a couple of billy bookcases

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
Now, we need some book cases on the cheap... Ikea the way to go?
As long as you don't overload the shelves they'll be fine IMHO.
Nothing fancy, but who cares, it's an apt. after all.
Best of all you won't feel bad throwing away $49 bookcases when you move into a house if you decide to upgrade to match the decor.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »
Blech, definitely would never touch a used mattress.
And there are plenty of Ws or Westins that would be happy to let you try out the bed ;)

Anyone who's ever rented a furnished apartment has slept on used mattresses...and for that matter, anyone who's ever stayed in a hotel has, presumably, slept in a used mattress...In fact, in the latter case, used by multiple people.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
Anyone who's ever rented a furnished apartment has slept on used mattresses...and for that matter, anyone who's ever stayed in a hotel has, presumably, slept in a used mattress...In fact, in the latter case, used by multiple people.
Somehow sleeping in a hotel is different than bringing a used mattress into my home.

Offline Simcha89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
Have to mention that as far as beds, I would probably be hesitant about getting used, as far as begbugs (although supposedly, there's an electronic bedbug-sensor (saw it mentioned in popular science), costs about $250, I think, but would easily pay for itself after getting a couple of beds on craigslist, and they ALWAYS have beds for free)...

BUT - when I was last shopping for a bed (I was single, so nothing fancy, just a bed, box springs, and frame), I went to Sanders furtniture, and they were literally half the price of sleepy's. Sleepy's makes it sound like you're getting a great deal, because they'll easily offer you a few hundred dollars off, but realize that you can get them down to about half, or close to it. When I asked them about the price difference between them and Sander's, they told me that (gasp) Sander's was selling last year's model.

Me: So, uh, have there been any major developments in mattress technology since last year?

I paid about $550 for a bed I loved. I know that Dan is a huge fan of the W brand (I think that's what it's called), but I much prefer being able to try out the exact mattress before I buy it.

For the amount of nightmares that youll end up having while using a used mattress...... stay away!

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
For the amount of nightmares that youll end up having while using a used mattress...... stay away!

For the record, in that post I wasn't talking about used mattresses, the mattresses being sold were new, stilll in plastic, just not "this year's models."

Somehow sleeping in a hotel is different than bringing a used mattress into my home.

I understand that - but truthfully, is there a difference?

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
yeah there is a difference because in a hotel hopefully the bed is cleaned every time someone checks out but a used mattress only gets cleaned when you clean it when you buy it
its just nasty to think that someoen would buy a used mattress on craigslist

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »
How do you clean a mattress?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
How do you clean a mattress?

Uhm, I'm pretty sure he means that the linen is cleaned... let's not be pedantic.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:38 PM »
ikea has really good bookcases
just got a couple of billy bookcases

As long as you don't overload the shelves they'll be fine IMHO.
Nothing fancy, but who cares, it's an apt. after all.
Best of all you won't feel bad throwing away $49 bookcases when you move into a house if you decide to upgrade to match the decor.

Stopping at Ikea today, thanks.

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Uhm, I'm pretty sure he means that the linen is cleaned... let's not be pedantic.

I don't think that's what he meant, considering the context - he was saying that you clean the mattress when you buy it, to illustrate the difference between hotel mattresses and other used mattresses. Otherwise, he's saying that the linen was never cleaned before you bought it...?

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
what i meant was that a hotel bed just seems cleaner to me then going to craigslist and getting an old mattress even though they are are probaly the same dirty and i wouldnt buy either of them for my house

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
Got two Billy bookcases and a Tobo "media center"

thanks all

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »
Got two Billy bookcases and a Tobo "media center"

thanks all
but did you build them yet...
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
but did you build them yet...

no...

uhm, why?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
His point was (as pointed out on the funny pictures thread) that ikes sells it all in pieces.