Author Topic: Weekly Torah Thoughts  (Read 14046 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Weekly Torah Thoughts
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
I get a weekly email with some beautiful Torah thoughts and insights. Possibly many of you are also subscribed to get it, but I figured I'll share it here too. I would like to attach the PDF version, it's nicer and neater but it's a bit too large for DDF attachment so here's the text version.

PORTION INSIGHTS --  THAT "SINGING" FEELING
            Chaim, Yankel and Shmiel all worked together in the Empire State Building on the 102nd floor. One day the elevator was out of service, so they had to walk up to their office. To pass the time, they decided that one would sing a song, one would tell a joke, and the third would tell a sad story - each taking a turn every floor until they reached the top. Finally, as they reached the 100th floor, Chaim sang his last song. As they reached the 101st floor, Yankel told his last joke. As they ascended the flight to the 102nd floor, Shmiel said, "I forgot the key.”
            Singing isn’t only useful to keep one occupied. Professor Graham Welch, Chair of Music Education at the Institute of Education, University of London, has studied developmental and medical aspects of singing for 30 years and says the health benefits of singing are both physical and psychological: “Singing has physical benefits because it is an aerobic activity that increases oxygenation in the blood stream and exercises major muscle groups in the upper body. Singing has psychological benefits because of its normally positive effect in reducing stress levels through the action of the endocrine system, which is linked to our sense of emotional well-being.” Singing even helps a person live longer according to the findings of a joint Harvard and Yale study which showed that choral singing increased the life expectancy of the population of New Haven, Connecticut. 
            This week’s portion, Beshalach, finds the Jewish people at the Red Sea being pursued by the evil ruler of Egypt, Pharaoh, and thousands of his soldiers. The Jews are trapped, facing certain death (or, at best, a return to Egyptian slavery) until Hashem tells Moshe to take his stick and stretch it over the sea. Moshe does, and an amazing miracle happens — the sea splits, allowing the Jews to walk through on dry land! The Egyptians try to follow the Jews into the sea, but the sea begins to flow again, closes in on them and drowns them. When the Jews come to the other side, they sing the Shirah (song), “Az Yashir,” to Hashem: “Then, Moshe and the children of Israel sang this song to the L-rd. (Shemos 15:1).                                                                 
            The translation of “Az Yashir,” in its literal sense is, is not reflective of what actually happened and should’ve been said. The most logical words to use would be “Yashiru – They (Moshe and the Jewish People) will sing.” Yashir means “he” will sing. Who is he? And why, as Rashi points out, is the word Yashir in the future tense ("will sing")? Didn’t this song already occur? In order for us to truly understand what these words mean, we first need to figure out what the purpose and value of Shirah (song) is in this world.
          ***                                                                               
          When we ask people when they sing, most would offer two responses. People might sing at certain occasions – at a family or community celebration, at the Shabbos table, or at a “musical” gathering. This type of singing is trying to add joy or energy to another event that’s already going on. Then, there’s a second type of song, one that is a spontaneous reaction, or as Rabbi Shimshon Rafael Hirsch writes, “an inspired or rapturous expression of some external event revealed to the inner self, that which the physical eye cannot see, but has become clear to the mind’s eye.” The benefits of such a song aren’t only physical and psychological, they are also emotionally therapeutic.
The Song at the Sea was neither the first (standard response) nor the second (spur-of-the-moment response). The Midrash, explaining why “then” is used in the verse, states: “From the day the world was created until that day (‘then’), no man sang a song to Hashem. He created Adam, but Adam did not sing. He rescued Avraham from the fiery furnace and from the Four Kings, but Avraham did not sing. He saved Yitzchak from the slaughtering knife, but Yitzchak did not sing. He saved Yaakov from the angel, from Esav and from the people of Shechem, but Yaakov did not sing. When Bnei Yisrael came to the sea and it split for them, immediately they sang.” How is it possible that for nearly two and a half millennia there was no singing, asks Rabbi Shlomo Katz.                                                   R’ Elimelech Bar-Shaul OB”M (Chief Rabbi of Rechovot) explains: The word “Then” (“*Then* Moshe and Bnei Yisrael sang”) teaches that this song was not sung in a vacuum. Rather, it was the culmination of all of human history until then. Adam’s time was not yet ripe for song, for he had not yet withstood a test; indeed, he would soon fail his test. Avraham’s time also wasn’t ripe for song, for his path was a new one and its future uncertain. When Avraham was saved from the Four Kings, the time was not ripe for song because the king of Sedom had been saved as well and there can be no song when there is a “Sedom” in the world. Similarly, the times of Yitzchak and Yaakov were not yet ripe for song.                                             
          Nevertheless, R’ Bar-Shaul writes, all of those moments of inspiration were not lost. Instead, they were buried in the hearts of the nation so that all the inspiration felt by Adam, Avraham, Yitzchak and Yaakov was expressed then—in the Song at the Sea. This is alluded to by Midrash Rabbah which says, “Though you always existed, You were not known until Your sons sang Shirah.” (Min Ha’Be’er)                                                         ***                                                             
           We can apply this message to the present day, as well. We are in exile and tragic events occur regularly to and within our communities. The tune is melancholy for some, while others find it impossible to sing at all. But one day soon, with Hashem’s Will, Mashiach will arrive and “then our mouths will be filled with song” (Tehillim 126:2). In fact, according to the Talmud (Sanhedrin 91b) the word “Then” in “Az Yashir” is actually the evidence that there will be a “Resurrection of the Dead” in the future, starting with Moshe Rabbeinu. And so the song of our nation is slowly but surely building up to the crescendo in the End of Days.                     
         At the same time, each one of us has their own personal song (even if we aren’t musically inclined). This is why, posits Rabbi Eliyahu Hoffman, Shirah is in essence a personal experience. Just as each of us has their own personal song or style of music, the intimacy of a person’s song can fully be grasped by each individual alone.                                                               
***                                                                                           
             It doesn’t take a poet to realize that life is like a song. Let’s briefly touch upon three significant lessons we can learn from song.
            First, every song has a low point and a high point, and most songs have some kind of refrain. The same is true in our lives – we have moments when we are down, when our voice and stature are lowered. And we also have moments when we are riding high with positive momentum. But both life periods are needed. As the saying goes, “You can’t have a high without the low.” What’s more, each one of us has a refrain – a lifelong motif that is ours, uniquely based on our background, circumstances, personality and area of challenge. Avraham Avinu, for instance, had the refrain of Chesed (kindness) and all his pursuits ultimately were centered on that trait.                 
            Second, each song has direct and indirect contributors that turn the words, sounds, and instruments into “song.” In the end, the goal is Shalom, harmony, where all the parts come together, yet maintain their sense of individuality.  Sometimes we need to learn how to sing a duet (with spouses, friends, peers, neighbors, and colleagues), and other times we have to allow a “chorus” of others to make their appearance and have an impact on our tune (Rabbis, teachers, parents, and even children).               
             And third, many songs contain points in which there is silence for several moments. To the untrained ear, this seems to be a flaw in the song. (“Silent Sonata” and “Symphony No. 5 by Jean Sibelius” are just two of the many examples). Sometimes, silence is the loudest way to communicate, especially when you are being insulted (see Talmud 88b, thanks to Rav Aryeh Katzin). In fact, this idea captures the very pinnacle Shirah can reach: expression beyond words. And so, let us remember that while we allow for certain influences to seep into the “song of our lives,” we need to be very careful not to let just anyone affect the “song” that’s playing within us.

TORAH QUESTION OF THE WEEK by Rabbi M.D.Weiss
      In this week’s portion we read about Lechem Mishneh, the double portion of Mann that fell in honor of Shabbos. From this occurrence, the Halacha is for one to bless over two Challas at the Shabbos meals. Let us ask: If one has only one challah can he fulfill the Mitzvah of Lechem Mishneh by borrowing another Challah from a neighbor even if the neighbor doesn't allow him to eat the Challah? Also, can one fulfill Lechem Mishneh if one of the Challas is in a bag?     
  ***                                                                             
       Last week, we brought the Mechilta that one shouldn’t delay the performance of a Mitzvah and asked if one is allowed to delay the performance of a Mitzvah, if by executing it at a later time, one will be able to perform the Mitzvah with better quality?       The Terumas HaDeshen says that our question is predicated on which day Motzei Shabbos falls out during the month. If Motzei Shabbos falls out on the 7th or 8th of the month, and even if there’s a cloudy sky (which renders the moon un-visible) for a few nights you wouldn’t lose the Mitzvah (since the 15th of the month is the cut-off point) and it’s better to push it off until Motzei Shabbos. However, if Motzei Shabbos falls out later in the month, one should perform the Mitzvah during the week and not postpone it until Motzei Shabbos. Here, he states we should be concerned that the Mitzvah would be lost and beautification isn’t as big of a priority (see Shulchan Aruch O.C. 426 and Magen Avraham [3] for qualification of the Psak of the Terumas HaDeshen).             
 To summarize the position of the Terumas HaDeshen: when there is no concern of losing the Mitzvah one should postpone it in order to perform it in a more beautified manner. But, if the opportunity to do a Mitzvah is limited, one should perform it as soon as possible, regardless of whether it’s in beautified form or not.           
                The Sefer Chassidim (878) seems to differ. He writes one shouldn’t push off a Mitzvah in order to fulfill the command of “Zeh Ke-li V’anvehi” (to beautify a Mitzva). Therefore, if one finds a Tallis to purchase, he shouldn’t say “I will hold off the purchase until I find a more beautiful one.” It is also the opinion of the Bach and the Gra (quoted in Mishna Berurah 426:20) that one doesn’t push off a Mitzvah in order to perform it in a more beautified way. Accordingly, once three days have passed since the appearance of the new moon, one would say Kiddush Levanah even though it isn’t Motzei Shabbos. 
Note: A Rav should be consulted for final Halachic rulings.

SHORT AND SWEET STORY OF THE WEEK     
            After hearing a fiery speech about the meaning of faith, a disciple of Rabbi Yisroel Salanter approached him and asked, "Rebbi, are you telling me that if I have perfect faith in Hashem, He will provide me with all my needs?"
                Rabbi Salanter affirmed. "Yes, my son," he smiled. "If one has perfect faith in the Almighty, He will provide for him." The man mad a quick riposte. "Good, if that is the case I need no longer work. I will sit and study Torah and rely solely on my faith, and the 20,000 rubles that I'll need to survive will come to me in full as if it were manna from Heaven!" The man went home and began to study Torah. But after one week when the money did not appear he returned to the Rabbi to complain. "I have the faith you claimed to need, and so far no money has arrived!"
                Rabbi Yisroel was pensive. "I'll tell you what," he said. "I’ll offer you 8,000 rubles cash today if you would commit yourself to give me the 20,000 rubles you are sure will come to you because of your faith." The man jumped from his chair. "Sure! I'll take the 8,000." Rabbi Yisroel Salanter smiled, "who in his right mind would give up 20,000 rubles for a mere 8,000 rubles? Only someone with does not have perfect faith that he will receive 20,000 rubles! If one is positive that he is about to receive 20,000 rules, and is absolutely confident that it is coming, he would not, in his right mind, give it up for a mere 8,000! Obviously, you have more faith in my 8,000 rubles than in Hashem's 20,000!"
                Comment: Many people claim to have faith and can be found telling people in distress that instead of worrying, they need to learn to have faith in Hashem. But when push comes to shove, only a small percentage of those “faithful folk” are calm, collected and embody the look of men who truly believe that their Creator will help them. Nachshon Ben Aminadav was one such person who “lived” his faith. When commanded by Moshe (from Hashem) to enter into the Red Sea, everyone was looking to see who’d be the first one to actually do it. Nachshon, sans any reservations, literally took the dive and went into the water. Let us work on the Nachshon’s trait of acting with faith.  (Story heard from Rabbi Mordechai Kamenetzky) 

SUGARY SAYING OF THE WEEK:
“If youths tell you to build, and elders tell you to destroy, listen to the elders, for the (apparent) building of youths is really destruction, and the (apparent) destruction suggested by elders is really building.”

-Talmud, Nedarim 40a. At the beginning of this week’s portion (Shemos 14:2), Moshe told the Jewish people to go towards Tzefon – essentially toward Egypt. This appeared suicidal! But when we have leaders who have wisdom and experience, it’s crazier for us NOT to follow their instructions.

SPONSORED BY MR. AND MRS. EUGENE PISHCHIKER IN MEMORY OF RAIZEL BAS YITZHAK ON HER FIRST YARTZHEIT

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Torah Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
The 102nd floor is an observation deck, how did Chaim, Yankel and Shmiel work there?  Are they tour guides/ticket collectors?  What key did Shmiel  forget, the door from the stairwell to the floor?  Why does Shmiel have this key and why don't Chaim and Yankel?

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »
The 102nd floor is an observation deck, how did Chaim, Yankel and Shmiel work there?  Are they tour guides/ticket collectors?  What key did Shmiel  forget, the door from the stairwell to the floor?  Why does Shmiel have this key and why don't Chaim and Yankel?
Honestly, did you laugh at the joke or not?
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »
Honestly, did you laugh at the joke sad story or not?
FTFY  :D

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:51:06 PM »
Very apropos for your avatar
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:54 PM »
Should we stop before this ends up in js?

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 06:24:29 PM »
Don't care. I will try to continue posting. Maybe at least one person will enjoy/benefit from it.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 06:25:23 PM »
What's wrong if it's in JS?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »
What's wrong if it's in JS?
Just Shmooze

Visit this board to kick back and talk about anything worthless.

Note: Posts made in this board do not count towards DDF elite status.
Can't call Torah worthless. Ever. Some point to this, no?

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »
For those who speak Yiddish, Harav Menashe Reisman gives a great daily shiur (if you enjoy poilisher style vertlach etc.) Fridays shiur is usually about the parsha.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
Can't call Torah worthless. Ever. Some point to this, no?
Some of the most valuable and worthwhile content on DDF is in JS. It's just not deal related/practical talk. I think that JS has evolved since it was started. It's still a catchphrase for "of no practical value", but I don't think that means worthless. It just means it's not going to be tangibly useful.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »
For those who speak Yiddish, Harav Menashe Reisman gives a great daily shiur (if you enjoy poilisher style vertlach etc.) Fridays shiur is usually about the parsha.
Any more info? To listen? To read? Number? Link?

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »
Sure. You can download it from kolhalashon, here's the link for latest shiurim
 http://www.kolhalashon.com/New/Shiurim.aspx?Lang=Idish&Path=Idish|ITnc|ParashaShiur|R0918-1|CurrentLessons&English=True

Or you could call this number (I think it's the Belzer Hotline) 7183055885 and in the menu I think it's 5-1-5.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
Sure. You can download it from kolhalashon, here's the link for latest shiurim
 http://www.kolhalashon.com/New/Shiurim.aspx?Lang=Idish&Path=Idish|ITnc|ParashaShiur|R0918-1|CurrentLessons&English=True

Or you could call this number (I think it's the Belzer Hotline) 7183055885 and in the menu I think it's 5-1-5.
Looks like the link didn't come out, copy and paste it into a browser and lmk.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
PORTION INSIGHTS – DON’T LET MONEY TALK
            Miriam arrived home running into the house, slamming the front door, and shouting at the top of her voice, “Moishe! Pack your bags. I’ve just won the $250 million Powerball Lottery!”Moishe excitedly replied, “Oh my goodness, what fantastic news! Should I pack for Florida or skiing?” Miriam yelled back, “I don’t care where you go, just pack your bags!”                                                   
Several weeks ago, the societal craze known as the “Powerball” Jackpot lottery reached a fever pitch with the winner promised to take home a preposterous 1.5 billion dollars. The drawing dominated conversations everywhere, including many Torah-observant circles. Lottery-buyers dreamed of how they would spend the money and how great their lives would become once their “numbers” were called. The truth is, however, that lottery winners are anything but happy. To start, the large sum that’s won is used up by winners within five years in 70% of
the cases, according to Reader’s Digest.                                                             
       Second, lottery winners see an adverse change in their relationships right after they hit a windfall.  Alexey Bulankov, a certified financial planner who's worked with a family who won a lottery jackpot, saw this devastation firsthand. "Following a string of unfortunate financial decisions, the family fell apart," he says. Third, lottery winners are often targets for bogus lawsuits because everyone starts to come after them (including “long-lost friends.”) Jeff Motske, a financial planner and president of Trilogy Financial Services, says, “If the winnings are public knowledge, winners can bet their phone will never stop ringing. Winners hear from investors, reputable firms, scammers, and every planner/schemer under the sun.”                 
               Finally, the worry that one might be robbed or even killed offsets the joy of winning the “big bucks.” The latest example is Craigory Burch Jr., who had recently won $400,000 in a lottery and was murdered in a Georgia home invasion. According to ranker.com, at least 10 lottery winners have ended up as murder victims. The question is, why do most of us - who are aware that exorbitant wealth is more of a curse than a blessing - still venture out to buy Powerball tickets, even if we have enough money to live on?     
***                                                                                       
        This week's portion, Yisro, introduces us to the Aseres HaDibros - most commonly translated as the "Ten Commandments" (even though there are actually more than 10 Mitzvos commanded). The last commandment in the set is "Lo Sachmod - Do not covet your neighbor's house; do not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his slave, his donkey, his ox, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." (Shemos 20:13) The Ibn Ezra asks: “how can Hashem command us an emotion?” All the other commandments are positive or negative actions – such as, “keep Shabbos,” “don't kill or steal,” and “don't swear falsely.” We’ve discussed the Ibn Ezra’s answer in a previous edition (in short: one can turn his emotion into an intellectual realization that which someone else has is out of his league, much like a hillbilly doesn’t even dream of marrying a princess). What we need to understand is why this emotional requirement is so central that it had to be mentioned in the “Ten Commandments?” What’s the big deal with just having desirous thoughts and feelings, if we know we’re definitely not going to act on those thoughts and feelings? 
          Let us offer an answer that resonates with human nature. We were created with certain desires, without which the world wouldn't continue or function at an optimal level, such as desires for a personal relationship (expressed through marriage) and the drive for recognition (gained by some kind of achievement that helps the world). It's pretty clear cut to most people when the boundaries of morality or selfishness are breached, even if they are unable or uninterested in controlling those passions.                             
          But there is one desire, according to Rav Tzaddok Hakohen that is greater than any other material drive, and the only one that is insatiable and therefore, detrimental. It’s called Chemdas Hamommon - the Desire for Money/Wealth. There is a limit to how much a person can eat and to how many times one can commit adultery, but there is no limit to how much money a person can accumulate. As the Medrash (Koheles Rabbah 1:34) says, "A person who has 100, wants 200," or in today's terms, "he who has $1.5 billion, wants $3 billion."        (It may be funny, but it’s no joke.)                             
           The reason we are commanded to curb our desires is that they often turn into an obsession, one that preoccupies one's thoughts and as such, affects one's clarity and decision-making directly. These desires may start very innocently that one doesn't even notice when they overtake one’s life. Most people start working at a point where they need to pay bills and money is but a means - to make ends meet, or even to enjoy the finer things in life like fancy clothing or gadgets or relaxing vacations (the virtue or drawback of which is not our topic).                 At some point, one who has allowed the “desire for money” to occupy precious real estate in his mind, will very likely end up pursuing money as and end. He wants his bank statement to have more and more zeroes, just for the thrill of it. He will accept bribes and flatter wealthier individuals, both severe Torah prohibitions. He will think about money during prayers, speak about his business dealings at the Shabbos Table (also forbidden), and skimp on his family’s needs and requests. Some people can even get to a point that would anything for the right price. How tragic!       Worse yet, the relationship with money will continue to be frustrating for such a person, as it’s not a reciprocal connection. As King Shlomo teaches (Koheles 5:9), “he who loves money won’t be satisfied by money.” It comes out that it’s impossible not to let desires of money remain harmless thoughts without morphing into actions.                            ***                                                                                         
             So, what should our attitude to money be? We need to treat money as if it’s not ours. Two of the words for money Mammon and Zuz, communicate this idea. Mammon, says the Ohr Hachaim, is actually a composite of two words: "ma," meaning what, and "moneh" meaning count. In other words, what are you counting? It’s not really yours! Money, like everything else, should be seen as a tool for performing Mitzvos. There’s Tzedakah/charity we can. It’s not only the Halachah to give ten percent of our earnings to charity; we need to learn how to love giving. When other people benefit from our contributions, our existence becomes indispensable in the Eyes of Heaven and we are given more opportunities to assist others. It’s a scenario in which everyone wins. We can use money to beautify our Mitzvos by purchasing a better Esrog, a finer Tallis, or spending extra on delicacies for the honor of Shabbos Kodesh.   
           We can also invest our funds in “Money Gemachs,” that is lending to others with no strings attached. Zuz (the other term for money) in Hebrew means to “move,” implying that money sitting in one place is useless. That is also why coins are round, according to Rabbi Yisroel Ciner. What’s the point of keeping funds in your bank account or, if you’re old-school, a wad of cash under your mattress, when there are people who can use it in the meantime? (Note: obviously, not every person is a trustworthy candidate for a loan and even someone who has a good reputation needs to sign a halachically binding-contract and have a system in place how the loan will be repaid.)                                             
       Lastly, on the theme of “moving” money, the advice of the Talmud (Bava Metzia 42a) is to diversify the money that’s in our possession: “One should invest a third of his money in land, a third in merchandise, and leave a third in coins (liquid funds).”                                       
***                                                                                                 
                 Rampant capitalism in the United States (and many other countries) rages on and the effort for the almighty dollar to replace the Al-mighty G-d is so prevalent that the Third Commandment - prohibiting idol worship - is oftentimes violated in the process. Let us earnestly pray to Hashem to help us overcome unhealthy attitudes towards money and direct us to find ways to utilize the funds we’re entrusted with for holy purposes.

In this week’s portion the Torah talks about the prohibition of making certain forms/images even when not for purposes of idol-worship (see 20:20). What are some of the forms one must avoid making even for beauty alone and not for the sake of idol-worship?                         
             Last week we asked: If one has only one challah can he fulfill the Mitzvah of Lechem Mishneh by borrowing another Challah from a neighbor even if the neighbor doesn't allow him to eat the Challah? Also, can one fulfill Lechem Mishneh if one of the Challas is in a bag?      1) With regard to a borrowed challah: The Shemiras Shabbos K’hilchasah (S.S.K.) says that Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach OB”M is uncertain whether it qualifies for Lechem Mishna (double-bread), since we may need it to be similar to the Mann in the wilderness in that one was able to eat from both breads if he wished. The Rivavos Ephraim (O. C. 202) brings from those who see no problem with using a borrowed challah and from others who take issue with it. The Rivavos Ephraim concludes that when there is no better option one can fulfill his obligation with a borrowed challah. This is also the ruling of the Shemiras shabbos K’hilchissa.
                2) With regard to keeping the challah in a bag for the blessing: The Shulchan Aruch (O.C. 274:1) tells us that on Shabbos one should make the blessing over two complete loaves (referred to as “Lechem Mishna.”) The Netziv (Shu”t Meshiv Davar;O.C. Siman 21) says that if one has only sliced bread, he may fulfill his obligation of Lechem Mishna through two slices. He qualifies this by saying that this is only if he finds the challah already sliced. However, if one has a loaf of bread, he cannot go and slice it to make it into two (in order to fulfill Lechem Mishna).
The S.S.K. rules that if one has a loaf of sliced challah which is now held together through a bag it is not considered to be combined into a complete loaf and thus he would not fulfill Lechem Mishna by attaching it to a second loaf of challah.                                                                                               
       The above applies to challah that was sliced. There is less concern for fulfillment of Lechem Mishna if one has a complete challah in a bag. Nonetheless, says the S.S.K., there may be a reason to remove the challah from the bag. This is based on what the Mishna Berurah rules with regard to making a blessing over bread (even during a weekday). The Mishna Berurah (167:23) says that if one is wearing gloves he should remove them in order to hold the bread with his bare hands. We see from here, says the S.S.K., that due to the honor for a blessing, the bread should be held without any separation. If so, the same may apply to challah in a bag. Rav Menachem Goldman Shlit”a says that it may be possible to differentiate between the two cases and that using a bag wouldn’t have the downside that using gloves would (See Tosfos to Succah 37a) Note: A Rav should be consulted for final Halachic ruling.

One Sunday in 1978, Virginia-native Wallace S. Wade opened the newspaper in Hamburg, Germany, where he led an English-speaking Protestant church and was working toward a doctorate in metaphysics and relativity theory. It was the 40th anniversary of Kristallnacht, "the night of breaking glass." On that night – Nov. 9, 1938 – thousands of synagogues and Jewish businesses in Germany were looted and burned, an event considered to be the beginning of the Holocaust.  Wade and his German-born wife were shocked by what they read, and were even more disturbed when they began visiting sites of former synagogues and Jewish institutions in Germany and found apartment buildings and parking lots in their place, with no signs or plaques recalling the lost Jewish presence. Wade and his wife immersed themselves in finding out how religious leaders and academics had reacted to the Holocaust.         
       Their investigations also led them to questions about the Jewish people and their religion. The more they studied, the more Judaism made sense to them, and they decided to convert. After converting, Wade and his wife moved to the United States for a few years but eventually found their way to Israel, where he earned rabbinic ordination. The man who was once offered a teaching position at Cambridge University in England now spends much of his time speaking to and counseling secular Jewish college students who are discovering their heritage for the first time.
          Comment: One wonders why the portion of the Ten Commandments is called Yisro, after the Midianite Priest who became a convert and Moshe Rabbenu’s father-in-law. One of the most beautiful answers given is that the entire purpose of the Torah is to transform a person from self-seeking to selfless and from animalistic to holy. Yisro didn’t have to convert, but when he saw the undeniable evidence how Torah is a Divine document that aims to improve man’s time on this earth, he took the plunge!

SUGARY SAYING OF THE WEEK
“It’s better to throw yourself into a fiery furnace than make your friend’s face blush in public.”
-          Talmud, Bava Metzia 59a. When the Torah tells us not to murder, it doesn’t only mean to physically end another person’s life. Rabbeinu Yonah says that embarrassing another person is tantamount to murder and that one should give up his life rather than do the sin. If we’re passively standing by while our fellow is being embarrassed, we’re contributing to the crime, as “silence is a form of approval” (Bava Metzia 37b).

SPONSORED BY RABBI AND MRS. MORDECHAI BLAUSTEIN IN MERIT OF A SPEEDY RECOVERY FOR NOSSON BEN BRAYNA

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 07:29:03 PM »
Amazing short vort on the parsha https://youtu.be/nt5PBvSw83Q

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 03:25:09 PM »

PORTION INSIGHTS – CONSEQUENCES FIT THE CRIME

A police officer in a small town in Israel stopped a motorist who was speeding down the main street. "But officer," Itzik began, "I can explain."                                       "Just be quiet," snapped the officer. "I'm going to let you cool your heels in jail until the chief gets back."                "But, officer, I just wanted to say..."                               "I said keep quiet! You're going to jail!"                A few hours later the officer looked in on his prisoner and said, "Lucky for you that the chief's at his daughter's wedding tonight. He'll be in a good mood when he gets back."                                                                           "Don't count on it," answered Itzik from his cell. "I'm the groom."                                                   
         As unfair as the Israeli jail system may sound (because every joke has part truth), the prison system in the United States is far worse. The most troublesome statistic that proves this point is that two-thirds of prisoners re-offend within three years of leaving prison, often with a more serious and violent crime. Why? Firstly, having a criminal record precludes ex-cons from finding worthwhile employment after they leave the prison walls and illegal activity becomes they only way to provide for themselves and their families. More importantly, prisoners who enter such institutions even for relatively minor infractions like marijuana possession, come out hardened criminals as a result of being influenced by their cellmates and gang members. In this way, the prison system is actually having the opposite effect its intended to.                                         
           There are prisons, however few they may be, that actually strive to rehabilitate the criminal into becoming a person who can be part of everyday society. Kerala, India is famous for introducing the first prison without walls in 1962. The prison holds 280 of Kerala’s 5,308 prisoners. The open prison is known for treating its prisoners with respect and entrusting them with responsibilities for work on the rubber plantation, personal chores and cooperation within the prison community. To date, there’s been only one repeat offender.                 
       ***                                                                               
       In this week’s Torah portion, Mishpatim, we learn about monetary laws, beginning with laws regarding an Eved Ivri - “a Hebrew slave.” This slave, however, isn’t placed into a cold and brutal system described in the introduction. Instead, a Jewish slave is given rights and needs to be treated with respect. For starters, his maximum period of indenture is six years. It is forbidden to give him demeaning labor, such as putting shoes on his master. His master must share whatever food he has with his ‘slave’. If the master eats white bread, he may not give his slave dark bread. If he drinks wine, he cannot give his slave water. If he sleeps on a soft bed, he may not give his slave straw on which to sleep. Not only that, but if the master only has one pillow, the slave gets the pillow. And should the slave become ill and costs his master hefty medical bills, he owes his master nothing when he leaves.                       
        This sounds like a very “democratic” approach, but how will the slave ever learn his lesson if he’s treated so, well, unslave-like? What happened to working him so hard that he will never repeat his mistake again? Furthermore, why does the portion on Torah laws begin with the laws of the slave? There are many very important monetary laws in the portion that would merit “top billing,” so obviously slave laws are somehow central to the entire Torah legal system. How?                 
        In general, there are two ways to deal with someone who has violated the moral or ethic code of conduct. One is to punish a person and one is to present him with “consequences.” What’s the difference between the two? Punishments are used to impose suffering of some kind in order to make it clear who is in control. They are often unrelated to the problem behavior.                              A consequence, on the other hand, is when the only consideration is for the person who had strayed to get back on the path and correct his ways. Let’s ponder: how does a person become a slave? One way is if he steals and cannot afford the restitution that the Torah mandates. The Beis Din (Jewish court) then “sells” the thief to reimburse the victim of the theft. However, writes Rabbi Yaakov Asher Sinclair, rather than locking up the thief and exposing him to all deleterious influences that a jail encourages, the Torah places him in the most positive of environments – a Jewish family home. Rather than subject his family to shame and starvation, the Torah requires the master to not only care for the slave, but to support the thief’s family as well.              We see from this that Hashem doesn’t seek to punish a wrongdoer. Rather, our Creator’s entire system of law is meant to rehabilitate a sinner by setting in motion “consequences” that will help him desist from making mistakes in the future. If a person stole something, some “religions” would command the victim to “turn the other cheek” – to look away and forgive. Other religious systems would order the thief’s hand to be chopped off. That’ll teach him! The Torah’s instruction to the thief is, “Give back what you stole.” Can’t pay it back? Take the next logical step and be responsible enough to work in order to make amends. According to the Torah, just because a person “messed up,” doesn’t mean he should be treated poorly and completely demoralized. (Note: There are times where a crime is so severe that the only consequence in the Torah is for the person to be put to death, because mercy for the cruel won’t “fix” them. In these types of situations, killing a hardened criminal is also in order to serve as a warning to all others not to stoop to such a low).                        The reason the Torah began with this law is to teach us that just as G-d treats us, we are expected to treat one another. Indeed, if we mistreat wrongdoers, we will be perpetuating a wave of terrible behavior. History will testify to this, writes Rav Zalman Sorotzkin, O”BM (in Oznayim L’Torah). Movements like the Workers' Revolution and the French Revolution show that freed slaves, liberated serfs, and those that manage to push the cruel boot of oppression off their necks, become the most vicious masters.  They remember how they suffered and say "I suffered terribly for years, I still remember how I froze, starved and worked like an animal, and nobody cared; now you can suffer!" The moment the Jews left servitude Hashem told them: "when you become masters, show kindness and sympathy.  Leave behind the resentment and anger, and learn what a Jewish master is supposed to be."                                      ***                                                                                             Let’s apply this lesson to the occasions in our lives where we are masters (wielding authority) over someone and are in position to respond to their inappropriate behavior. Most commonly, this group would include children, students, employees, or any other people in subordinate positions/those who depend on us. One option of dealing with wrongdoers would be to punish them; to show them that their biggest issue isn’t the wrongful approach they’ve taken or decision they’ve made; it’s that they have dared to defy and start up with us! So, because we’ve made it personal, we would subject wrongdoers to tactless insults and hurtful statements that make them feel like absolute failures. We’d take out our own frustrations on them, or become passive-aggressive to them (the “silent” treatment that makes us feel high and mighty).                                         
               What would be the result of if we take such advantage of the weak? One, they will despise us. Two, they’ll repeat their mistakes (perhaps just to spite us). And three, they will pass along that kind of destructive attitude to those below them, or to us when our roles are reversed. As the Mishnah (Avos 4:3) states: “don’t be scornful of any person, because there is no person that doesn’t have his hour.” “What goes around, comes around,”  is the saying.    If our sole intention is to help the other person improve, then we need to learn the laws and conditions of “Tochocha/Reproof.” The wrongdoer needs to feel that we care about his success and don’t have ulterior motives - such as revenge and “quest for control” - on our minds. Also, we can rarely criticize without peppering some words of praise and support before and during the deliverance of our constructive criticism. Most importantly, if/when further action is called for, we need to make the connection between the violation and the consequence very clear. For example, an errant child can be told, “because I’ve warned you several times to clean up AND you didn’t obey, you’re losing such-and-such privilege.” Once we follow ALL these steps, we can truly become “masters” in our relationships and inspire others to fix theirs, as well.

In this week’s portion we read that one who wounds one of his parents incurs the death penalty (even if he doesn’t kill them). Is one permitted to perform a medical procedure on a parent if it will make the parent bleed?                                                                                   
  In last week’s portion the Torah prohibited making certain forms/images even when not for purposes of idol-worship (see 20:20). What are some of the forms one must avoid making even for beauty alone and not for the sake of idol-worship?                               The Talmud (Avodah Zara 43) discusses different forms which one is forbidden to make. These Halachos can be found in Shulchan Aruch (Y.D. 141:4-8).  We will list a few and discuss them briefly.                                                 
1) It is forbidden to make forms of angels (we know what they look like based on the description of the Prophets).                                                                     
   2) It is forbidden to make the form of a human being. The Tur mentions that there are differences of opinion whether this is forbidden only when three-dimensional (3D) or even a flat picture. The Shulchan Aruch rules that with regard to a form of an angel or person it is only prohibited when it’s 3D. There is also discussion whether it is forbidden only when making the entire form of the person, head and body, or even just the head alone (with face). The Rema rules leniently in this matter. The Pischei Teshuva (11) quotes the Shelah who says that it is proper to be stringent.                                         
   2b) If part of the person’s face is missing on the image, the Shac”h (141:25) writes that this would surely be okay and the prohibition is only when the facial features are complete. Therefore, a profile of the face (side view only) would be permitted. (Also allowed if the nose or an eye is missing).                               
   3) With regard to the form of the sun, the moon and the stars, the Shulchan Aruch rules that it is forbidden even if it is a flat form. Therefore, one cannot draw a picture of the sun moon or clouds. With regard to the moon, the authorities say that it is forbidden to draw even if it is a half or quarter moon since this is the way it appears to us in the sky.                                                       
       The Igros Moshe (Chelek 8) writes that children who reached the age of Chinuch should be hindered from drawing pictures of the sun or moon if their drawings can be recognized by others as the sun or moon. He writes that even though most children can’t perfect the image to have a true resemblance, it nevertheless isn’t proper to teach them to draw these pictures since eventually we expect them to perfect their drawings.
Note: From the Talmud we learn that one is permitted to draw the sun and moon for learning purposes. Therefore, writes the Shevet HaLevi (chelek 7 134:8), a Rebbi/Morah who is teaching Bereishis (Creation) may draw pictures of the sun moon and stars for the children. Also, they may draw the sun moon and stars to describe to the children the dream of Yosef.                                               
      4) Finally, let’s address the “seven-stem Menorah,” since it is similar to the one in the Holy Temple. One is forbidden to fashion it in any type of metal, even when not the same size as the one in the Temple.
                As always, a Rav should be consulted for all final rulings.

Rabbi Chaim Kreisworth, OB”M the Chief Rabbi of Antwerp, Belgium, tells of a member of his congregation who approached him obviously quite upset. "Rabbi," he exclaimed, "I just don't understand." My friend Yankel and I began businesses of the same type at approximately the same time. He is doing remarkably well, while I am just floundering!." "Are you working as hard as he is?" Rabbi Kreisworth asked.
"I sure am!" came the reply. "My place is right down the block from his, and I never close my shop until I see his car pull away!"
"Perhaps he has more employees?"
"It can't be. I checked with his manager, and I have recently added two more than he has!"
"Perhaps the decor of his store is more attractive to consumers?"
"It just can't be that, Rabbi. He remodeled last year, I checked the lighting, square footage, display cases – and on each count I outdid him when I remodeled a month later!" Rabbi Kreisworth smiled and said: "I have it all figured out. The reason Yankel is doing so much better than you is that he’s only concerned in running his business. You, my friend, are running two! If you’d just stay in your own place, you will also become a success."
                Comment: Because we don’t live in a bubble, we sometimes get so caught up with what other people are doing that we get distracted from our own tasks. The most applicable example of this would be chasing and then staring down a driver who cut us off on the road to teach him a lesson to be careful. While we are looking at someone else’s “track,” we are taking eyes off our own lane, which may lead to a disastrous outcome. We need to concentrate on our own path, only diverting our gaze in situation when it’s safe. If this applies on the actual road, how much more so in the road of life. We can look at others for inspiration, or to learn what NOT to do, but ultimately we need to focus on getting to our destination at our own pace. If we do that, we can learn to live happier lives.

SUGARY SAYING OF THE WEEK:   

“The difference between man and animal is that man has Mishpat (laws by which the morality is arrived at) and the rest of creatures don’t.”
                -Rabbi Yisroel Belsky, O”BM, would often say in his Chumash classes. But Rav Belsky wouldn’t just preach it – he lived and breathed Torah law. As a renowned Posek (Halachic ruler) knowledgeable in all areas, he was also able to help multitudes of Jews decide the right thing is to do in complicated situations. Yehi Zichro Baruch.                     (Thanks to R’Gaby Fried for quote)

SPONSORED BY YAAKOV STORCH FOR THE SUCCESS OF YOSEF, MORDY, MOSHE, PINNY, AND BINYAMIN STORCHS’ LEARNING IN YESHIVAH

Offline Shauly101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »

כדי להירשם לקבוצה זו, שלח אימייל אל
reizman+subscribe@belzinfo.com
ואח"כ הגב על האימייל האוטומטי שתקבל מהמערכת

to subscribe send email to reizman+subscribe@belzinfo.com and reply to auto message you receive

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 01:59:44 AM »
כדי להירשם לקבוצה זו, שלח אימייל אל
reizman+subscribe@belzinfo.com
ואח"כ הגב על האימייל האוטומטי שתקבל מהמערכת

to subscribe send email to reizman+subscribe@belzinfo.com and reply to auto message you receive
Something is going wrong.
Here's the return email, (after the auto response)
andhere's what happens when I click the link

Offline Shauly101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
did you get anything today from them?