Author Topic: Sodastream  (Read 42379 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Sodastream
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
Yes, assuming you don't have the electronic version. Perhaps changing the cartridge falls under something like Makeh BePatish? Just a thought - no idea whether it's allowed or not.
The sodastream website says its akin to replacing salt In a salt shaker (thou they are not to trustworthy) its not fixing anything because its doing what its meant to do. My problem is the buzzing sound after its fully carbonated
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »
Yes, assuming you don't have the electronic version. Perhaps changing the cartridge falls under something like Makeh BePatish? Just a thought - no idea whether it's allowed or not.
See tshuva copied here.  http://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/1390/making-seltzer-soda-water-on-shabbat-or-yom-tov

See also  Shemirat Shabbat Ke’hilchatah (vol. 1, p. 114)

HT: GOOGLE
^^^

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
The sodastream website says its akin to replacing salt In a salt shaker (thou they are not to trustworthy) its not fixing anything because its doing what its meant to do. My problem is the buzzing sound after its fully carbonated
I am far from a knowledgeable halachic-man but do you not open a bottle of soda because the fizz makes a sound? Do you not use a knife to cut your challah because when it hits the board underneath it makes a noise?

See tshuva copied here.  http://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/1390/making-seltzer-soda-water-on-shabbat-or-yom-tov

Cool stuff

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
I am far from a knowledgeable halachic-man but do you not open a bottle of soda because the fizz makes a sound? Do you not use a knife to cut your challah because when it hits the board underneath it makes a noise?
Cool stuff
Is the noise thing a real halacha issue?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
I have no idea.

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 26, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
why on earth would it be??
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2015, 09:10:52 PM »
A man decided that he must put cotton into the toilet on shabbos so that he will not be "mashmia kol" (make noise) on shabbos...

The whole city was "mashmia kol" about his cotton. Vda"l

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »
We just finished a 130L Co2 cannister and kept a tally of how many bottles it lasted for with each bottle getting 3 buzzes. It made 94 bottles.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
We just finished a 130L Co2 cannister and kept a tally of how many bottles it lasted for with each bottle getting 3 buzzes. It made 94 bottles.
26.5957446809 cents a bottle. Not bad.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »
26.5957446809 cents a bottle. Not bad.
That's assuming one uses the $5 off coupon at BBB. It also doesn't include the cost of the machine. But, my main point of posting was to give people info that the 130L doesn't actually last for 130 bottles.

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 03, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
Interesting, I never bothered to count but I thought some people said they get more than the official amount.

Anyone know where you can buy replacement parts?  The large (grey in my case) button you push down to release the co2 cracked on mine.
I can still open up the back and hold it down but it's a pain in the neck. 

Offline mookie

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2016, 02:27:59 AM »

Just came across this so wanted to clarify. R' SZA is mainly talking about the issue of binyan bkeilim concerning connecting the gas canister to the soda stream machine. As they are connected to each other with a screw like connection similar to a bottle cap, the issue of binyan arises. It is permitted to unscrew and screw caps on bottles for one of two similar reasons (one from the taz one from the magen avrohom, but the pri migadim treats them as one), both of which are time related. Meaning due to the nature of opening and closing caps over and over it doesn't meet binyan requirements. Interestingly, there is a well respected Lakewood posek who is uncomfortable with opening a new ketchup bottle on Shabbos because after you remove the cap and inner seal prior to the first use, you replace the cap, never to be removed again. Lubavitchers may have it worse because the Bal Hatanya seems to say that any cap like connection not intended to be removed on Shabbos itself is prohibited. To that point R' SZA is meikel and says this wouldn't be part of the issur even though the canister is intended to stay connected for many days. Dayan Fisher Zt'l is also meikel on this because of the concept from yom Tov that maybe guests will come and you'll need to change the canister again! That's a lot of guests. (Some of these concepts are rather obscure binyan bkeilim issues not often learned in yeshiva's. I'd love to hear from a well learned Lubavitcher about this specific Bal Hatanya because it can cause lots of Shabbos issues if taken to its extreme literal meaning.)

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #232 on: March 06, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
That's assuming one uses the $5 off coupon at BBB. It also doesn't include the cost of the machine. But, my main point of posting was to give people info that the 130L doesn't actually last for 130 bottles.
Since you are going 10 digits after the decimal point, might also add the cost of the water/sewer charge,  And if you're going to BBB you must add the cost of Gasoline, and car wear/tear. ;D

And don't forget to add the cost of the bottles.

And if you really like your seltzer strong, you would go beyond 3 buzzes, changing the math altogether.

I have a SodaStream machine I got as a gift. I've stopped using it as I've found it too much of a hassle (especially since we easily go through 8-12 liters of seltzer per Shabbos, and about 1-2 liters a day during the week) and I've always doubted how much it really "saves".
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »
You try schlepping seltzer bottles up a hill and 10 blocks and then tell me it doesn't save you anything.
My point was simply that at their recommended usage, it doesn't make 130 bottles.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
You try schlepping seltzer bottles up a hill and 10 blocks and then tell me it doesn't save you anything.
My point was simply that at their recommended usage, it doesn't make 130 bottles.
I get it delivered with my groceries  ;)

I didn't say it doesn't save, obviously even if we add the fractional cost of water/sewer charges etc. it's still cheaper than buying Seltzer bottles (especially if you don't return the bottles for a refund), but FOR ME, whatever possible savings realized, didn't seem worth the hassle (having spare gas, returning and recycling the gas, the special bottles and occasional lost caps, etc. etc.) and that's even before taking into account that in my house we require 5 buzzes  ;D
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »
Does anybody here fill their own CO2 bottles. Now that the 140l bottles cannot be exchanged, it should be permissible.
^^^

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2020, 05:53:08 PM »
Where is a good place to buy replacement bottles for cheap?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline ttn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2022, 02:24:28 PM »
This probably was asked but I can't find. Is there metal on the sofa stream (Terra model) that would require tevilah? Tia