Poll

Did you catch the 4 mile hong kong deal and book and get ticketed??

YES
81 (28.5%)
NO
35 (12.3%)
CONFIRMED BUT NO TICKET
1 (0.4%)
MISSED THE DEAL
167 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Author Topic: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong  (Read 297812 times)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1060 on: July 19, 2012, 12:29:28 AM »
Is there no one at united that we can email to ask why no one was contacted?
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1061 on: July 19, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »
That seems to be exactly what they're doing. Why they won't anounce it and turn it into a public PR spin is consistent with their general behavior lately.

...except their first official reaction was to state in no uncertain terms that they will not be honoring them.

I just don't see how if it as insignificant as you guys say it is why UA would not simply eat the loss right from the beginning and move on with their lives, content they've avoided another potential PR debacle.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline al613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:02 AM »
Is there no one at united that we can email to ask why no one was contacted?

If they would have an answer, they would tell you long time ago. I think new rules from DOT is unknown territory for them, so they want to make sure all i's are dotted. :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1063 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:55 AM »
I just don't see how if it as insignificant as you guys say it is why UA would not simply eat the loss right from the beginning.
Why should they eat a multi-million dollar loss if they don't have to?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1064 on: July 19, 2012, 12:33:58 AM »
Why should they eat a multi-million dollar loss if they don't have to?

1) PR ramifications; and/or
2) DoT ramifications;

Again, if the numbers were talking about (that you're talking about) are in fact accurate, it seems foolish not to simply pay the piper and avoid it altogether, the same way some companies settle lawsuits without merit just to avoid the time, hassle, and possible expense of litigation.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: July 19, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »
There's also an issue of setting a precdent by adhering to this pathetic regulation. Next time it can be $3B.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 19, 2012, 12:43:45 AM »
There's also an issue of setting a precdent by adhering to this pathetic regulation. Next time it can be $3B.

So now you find this regulation pathetic? Rest assured, without it we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The tickets would have been cancelled Sunday afternoon.

And as to precedent, that makes no sense. If you're referring to UA, if it's next glitch costs it more than they're willing to stomach, say $3B, they simply don't pay out, its own precedent be damned. (Ya know, kinda like not honoring it this time when the last time they said "we always pay when its our mistake" or whatever that UA rep said in the newspaper article).

If you're referring to DoT, it doesn't need precedent, the law as it is has already been written and they've already bared their teeth to much effect.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 19, 2012, 12:46:17 AM »
I've stated all along I think this rule doesn't make any sense, & believe a lawyer can find a way to strike it down in real court. That doesn't contradict my intention to take advantage of it.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:07 AM »
I think it may... you seem to have a fundamental problem with the DoT trying to force airlines to abide by and honor mistake fares... yet you have no qualms of trying to exploit that same regulation for your own benefit. Hey, if you can't beat em, join em?

Besides, that's tangential to the point -- I still see no reason why, if the numbers being suggested are accurate, UA doesn't chalk it up as a (small) loss and try to spin the whole thing into good PR.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1069 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:31 AM »
Besides, that's tangential to the point -- I still see no reason why, if the numbers being suggested are accurate, UA doesn't chalk it up as a (small) loss and try to spin the whole thing into good PR.
B/C the new UA isn't about good PR, it's all about the bottom line.  And they didn't expect this to make national news.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 19, 2012, 01:02:57 AM »
If you disagree with state run healthcare, you won't take advantage of it?

I've stated earlier in this thread I do have more qualms with taking advantage of United, but I think they take advantage of enough unfair regulations (albeit more legal), I'm entitled too.
B/C the new UA isn't about good PR, it's all about the bottom line.  And they didn't expect this to make national news.
Its also not at all clear public sentiment will side with us.

Now its gonna be printed in every morning paper, they really shouldve made up their mind one way or another. Oh well, waiting for next horror story from all the IRROPs tonight.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 19, 2012, 01:04:41 AM »

I can't believe either of those things.

It doesn't take a Harvard MBA to realize:

Good PR has a correlation to successful business, and not expecting this to reach national news? Seriously? I mean, who runs the company, Snooki?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 19, 2012, 01:06:20 AM »
This coming from the same airline that promised in writing that MM'ers would get CR1's for life and then took away that benefit and is facing a class-action because of it.
And that's something that really costs them close to nothing.

PR ain't their forte.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 19, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »
If you disagree with state run healthcare, you won't take advantage of it?

I've stated earlier in this thread I do have more qualms with taking advantage of United, but I think they take advantage of enough unfair regulations (albeit more legal), I'm entitled too.

So two wrongs make a right... I got it now.

Of course, if he's stealing, I should be able to steal, too, right?

And your approach is even more questionable in light of the fact that you believe the regulations that UA follows are "more legal."

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 19, 2012, 01:08:26 AM »
Seriously? I mean, who runs the company, Snooki?
Welcome to the new United.
Just pick 3 random posts on the FT UA board, and I guarantee one will be exactly that.
So two wrongs make a right... I got it now.

Of course, if he's stealing, I should be able to steal, too, right?

And your approach is even more questionable in light of the fact that you believe the regulations that UA follows are "more legal."
it's not two wrongs, it's my entitlement to play by the same rules. The legality doesn't affect my personal morality.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 19, 2012, 01:10:34 AM »
It doesn't take a Harvard MBA to realize:

Good PR has a correlation to successful business, and not expecting this to reach national news? Seriously? I mean, who runs the company, Snooki?

ROTF LMAO :D :D :D ALOL
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 19, 2012, 01:11:07 AM »
This coming from the same airline that promised in writing that MM'ers would get CR1's for life and then took away that benefit and is facing a class-action because of it.
And that's something that really costs them close to nothing.

PR ain't their forte.

I dunno, from a PR perspective, the fact that UA took away lifetime bennies for some elite members doesn't even rank compared to this. Do a google search on the news articles. I found... one. And that's debacle is a weeks-old development. With this, it's been 3 days and it's  been picked up by several mainstream media outlets.

Offline FriendlySkies

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
    • Travel Blog on UPGRD
  • Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Global Entry/NEXUS/Pre-Check, AMEX Plat, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
« Reply #1077 on: July 19, 2012, 01:30:21 AM »
Figured I would post this about my friend who is in the air right now..

"A certain FlyerTalker is now in the Air somewhere over the Pacific. I'm sorry but I can't reveal details as to departure city and destination. But trust me, this is not a drill. The FT will post on this thread once on or over American soil.

Sorry for not mentioning the name of this FT. But we have one of us already in the air!

PS: Seems like United is serving a 2006 Champagne on that flight in F... Yeah, no krug/Dom but better than a California sparkling wine! "

They had no problems getting a BP or boarding the flight.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 19, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
Figured I would post this about my friend who is in the air right now..

"A certain FlyerTalker is now in the Air somewhere over the Pacific. I'm sorry but I can't reveal details as to departure city and destination. But trust me, this is not a drill. The FT will post on this thread once on or over American soil.

Sorry for not mentioning the name of this FT. But we have one of us already in the air!

PS: Seems like United is serving a 2006 Champagne on that flight in F... Yeah, no krug/Dom but better than a California sparkling wine! "

They had no problems getting a BP or boarding the flight.

Congrats, and welcome to DDF!
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline FriendlySkies

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
    • Travel Blog on UPGRD
  • Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Global Entry/NEXUS/Pre-Check, AMEX Plat, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
« Reply #1079 on: July 19, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »
Congrats, and welcome to DDF!

Thanks! :)