Author Topic: Electric Bill Savings  (Read 17237 times)

Online hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Bill Savings
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2015, 07:01:17 PM »
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »

ScAmbit. Called that from Day 1. MLM at its best. Where is Rabbi Eli Teitelbaum z"l when you need him.
?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »
Can anyone recommend a the cheapest electricity provider for brooklyn?

Thanks

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »

Thanks
For a house? Stay with ConEd
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2017, 11:32:07 AM »

Thanks
All you want to do is go with a company that doesn't use deceptive marketing (unless you are really going to be on top of things, lock in fixed rates, and remember to shop again a month or two BEFORE your fixed rate expires).

Energy deregulation was either done wrong, or the market should be regulated somewhat. It is a breeding ground for scams.

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
For a house? Stay with ConEd
I don't think that's an option any longer. I did that for a while, and then I discovered I was switched to Constellation New Energy. Apparently, ConEd was forced to no longer offer electric supply.
-- Dan

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
I went on ambit in 2015 to help another Jew who was promoting it. Now after the I realized it might be a little shady and more expensive I am looking for a fixed rate for the reasons you stated.

I paid last bill 7.01 cents/KWH - it looks like I am below the fixed rate prices. How do I compare with your rates?

Thanks

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »
I don't think that's an option any longer. I did that for a while, and then I discovered I was switched to Constellation New Energy. Apparently, ConEd was forced to no longer offer electric supply.
Totally untrue. I don't know how you got switched, but ConEd definitely does offer supply. This is my main business. I can tell you that very few if any residential accounts do better by switching to a supplier. The issue with ConEd's price is that it is volatile. Some month's the price will go up suddenly. The purpose of using a supplier is to have a set price. Overall it will be higher. The risk for a small user is low and the options aren't great. It will be something you will need to make sure to be on top of or you will lose your pants once any contract expires. For commercial accounts is a different story, but for houses in NYC I don't offer the product because it is rarely worthwhile.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:21 AM »
I went on ambit in 2015 to help another Jew who was promoting it. Now after the I realized it might be a little shady and more expensive I am looking for a fixed rate for the reasons you stated.

I paid last bill 7.01 cents/KWH - it looks like I am below the fixed rate prices. How do I compare with your rates?

Thanks
Your last bill will not really be indicative since it is a low demand month.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2017, 11:57:03 AM »
Totally untrue. I don't know how you got switched, but ConEd definitely does offer supply. This is my main business. I can tell you that very few if any residential accounts do better by switching to a supplier. The issue with ConEd's price is that it is volatile. Some month's the price will go up suddenly. The purpose of using a supplier is to have a set price. Overall it will be higher. The risk for a small user is low and the options aren't great. It will be something you will need to make sure to be on top of or you will lose your pants once any contract expires. For commercial accounts is a different story, but for houses in NYC I don't offer the product because it is rarely worthwhile.
I had my electric supply for several years with ConEd Solutions, which was the supply subsidiary of ConEd. I actually don't look at my electric bill that often, and when I did a few months ago, I realized that Constellation New Energy is my supplier. I was furious as I thought I was switched without my permission (I forgot the term for that), but when I tried to switch back to ConEd Solutions, I saw that they no longer offer supply, it redirects to Constellation New Energy.

I agree 100% with everything else you wrote in your post.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »
I had my electric supply for several years with ConEd Solutions, which was the supply subsidiary of ConEd. I actually don't look at my electric bill that often, and when I did a few months ago, I realized that Constellation New Energy is my supplier. I was furious as I thought I was switched without my permission (I forgot the term for that), but when I tried to switch back to ConEd Solutions, I saw that they no longer offer supply, it redirects to Constellation New Energy.

I agree 100% with everything else you wrote in your post.
Ahhh now it makes sense. ConEd solutions was bought out by Constellation. (the term would be slammed) That is not the same as getting directly from ConEd the utility. Even though they were affiliated entities they are kept very separate. Either way, my recommendation is to stay with the default utlity supply for a residential account in NYC.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:53 PM »
Thank you for your opinions

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2017, 01:20:52 PM »
Ahhh now it makes sense. ConEd solutions was bought out by Constellation. (the term would be slammed) That is not the same as getting directly from ConEd the utility. Even though they were affiliated entities they are kept very separate. Either way, my recommendation is to stay with the default utlity supply for a residential account in NYC.
I agree with that.

Do you consider Constellation to be a fair player? Or should I spend time/effort to switch to supply directly by the utility (I seem to recall by using an ESCO you save a certain tax or fee). I agree with you that staying with the utility for residential is the right way to go, question is, if I'm now with Constellation, do I need to put time/effort into switching, or is it negligible and not worth the effort?
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »
I agree with that.

Do you consider Constellation to be a fair player? Or should I spend time/effort to switch to supply directly by the utility (I seem to recall by using an ESCO you save a certain tax or fee). I agree with you that staying with the utility for residential is the right way to go, question is, if I'm now with Constellation, do I need to put time/effort into switching, or is it negligible and not worth the effort?
Constellation for commercial is a great company. They are the largest in the industry and owned by Exelon. At this point, assuming you have a fixed price, you may as well stay with them until after the summer.

An alternative is that one of my reps does do  few ConEd resi accounts when she feels she got a good value. She also makes sure they don't end up going onto variable rates. For someone who prefers a fixed rate they can go to her. I will PM her contact info to you.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Constellation for commercial is a great company. They are the largest in the industry and owned by Exelon. At this point, assuming you have a fixed price, you may as well stay with them until after the summer.

An alternative is that one of my reps does do  few ConEd resi accounts when she feels she got a good value. She also makes sure they don't end up going onto variable rates. For someone who prefers a fixed rate they can go to her. I will PM her contact info to you.
I am actually with variable rates.

My bills aren't that big, to justify constantly being on top of things, shopping and comparing rates, evaluating fixed rates, etc. etc. I know that everyone buys energy in the same market. Locking in a fixed rate, is basically a call option on the market rates. I have no opinion one way or the other about rates, and as I said, I don't think it's worth the time and effort to research given the size of my bill.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
I am actually with variable rates.

My bills aren't that big, to justify constantly being on top of things, shopping and comparing rates, evaluating fixed rates, etc. etc. I know that everyone buys energy in the same market. Locking in a fixed rate, is basically a call option on the market rates. I have no opinion one way or the other about rates, and as I said, I don't think it's worth the time and effort to research given the size of my bill.
Then you should definitely go back to the utility. One thing you certainly do not want is to be on a variable rate.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Then you should definitely go back to the utility. One thing you certainly do not want is to be on a variable rate.
Why would their rate be any different than the utility? Don't they all buy energy in the same market? I would assume that as long as it's not a company with shady practices, prices should be similar.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
Why would their rate be any different than the utility? Don't they all buy energy in the same market? I would assume that as long as it's not a company with shady practices, prices should be similar.
They are still not regulated and can add on what they wish. I do not know about Constellation Resi specifically, but I know that almost EVERY company takes higher profits on variable. They also cushion every risk aspect with extra margin. They do not have any obligation to conform to the market at all and can really charge whatever they want.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
They are still not regulated and can add on what they wish. I do not know about Constellation Resi specifically, but I know that almost EVERY company takes higher profits on variable. They also cushion every risk aspect with extra margin. They do not have any obligation to conform to the market at all and can really charge whatever they want.

Just like every ESCO out there, which is why I say that residential energy deregulation is government sanctioned fraud and abuse.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »
Do you have any insights on residential gas in Brooklyn?

I believe I am with National Grid with that, but haven't looked at my bill for a while. Maybe now is a good time to lock in a long-term fixed rate (though unlike electricity, on natural gas I did have an opinion about prices for a while, but haven't been following that market in a while).
-- Dan