Poll

Should I toivel in the Berezina or in regular mikvah before Shabbos/YT?

Berezina
5 (55.6%)
Regular mikvah
1 (11.1%)
Berezina on YT morning
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: April 13, 2024, 07:31:27 AM

Author Topic: ExGingi's 3 generation wedding & Pesach trip to Russia.  (Read 15442 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: ExGingi's 3 generation wedding & Pesach trip to Russia.
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2024, 11:55:53 AM »
Lubavitcher Mussor 😉

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2024, 11:57:28 AM »
A well just about 200ft (or less) up the bank of the Berezina.

-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2024, 12:03:43 PM »
Berezina here I come.  An hour to שקיעה.

Can't trust DS for accuracy. Steps going down into the water are wooden. A taste of blotteh for @AsherO.

Dipping feet. Not too bad. Color could be better. Breeze blowing outside, so it will be fun.

-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2024, 12:04:40 PM »
I am so living vicariously via this thread
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2024, 12:20:07 PM »
As I took the steps down,two things became evident, one is obvious from physics class (the deeper one steps in the colder it is), the other from science class (the wooden steps in the water were very slippery due to micro algae).

I could easily handle the temperature, but getting decent footing or an in the water grasp for my hands was a challenge. I decided to opt for the minimum depth that will allow me to dip my head in. Even with that I ended up banging my nose on the step, so just one dip sufficed.

Shabbos is coming in soon, and with it another 24 hour period for a VZ travel pass, so I'll be signing off until after Shabbos.

[Our bus driver is staying at a hotel in Rudniya for Shabbos]
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2024, 02:46:17 PM »
Great TR!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2024, 02:57:21 PM »
I'm not following, @ExGingi married off his own child in Russia?? If yes then a huge MT and brachos are in order, I thought he attends a family simcha.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2024, 02:59:25 PM »
I'm not following, @ExGingi married off his own child in Russia?? If yes then a huge MT and brachos are in order, I thought he attends a family simcha.
Mazal tov to @ExGingi on the engagement of his son!

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2024, 03:08:08 PM »

Oh wow. That was two months ago, so was expecting another 7 months till the wedding...

Mazel tov Exgingi, lots of yiddish nachas from this couple and all !! (If there's is a unique Lubavitch bracha, it's like a said that as well)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2024, 03:09:34 PM »
Oh wow. That was two months ago, so was expecting another 7 months till the wedding...
9 months for a Lubavitcher engagement?!? 6-10 weeks is normal.

Mazel tov Exgingi, lots of yiddish nachas from this couple and all !! (If there's is a unique Lubavitch bracha, it's like a said that as well)

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2024, 03:11:13 PM »
7 months for a Lubaitcher engagement?!?

Yea we discovered that fairly recent after your brother's short engagement.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2024, 03:12:39 PM »
Yea we discovered that fairly recent after your brother's short engagement.
On that note, time for an updated avatar.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2024, 02:43:09 PM »
We had an amazing Shabbos in Lubavitch beyond all expectations. I hope to get back to it later. The Aibershter was very kind to us with the weather, nothing more than a little mist at times. Farbrengens and stories of Rabbi Kogan were amazing. A true Chossid and soldier of the Rebbe. Rabbi Gavriel Gordon has done, and does, an amazing research and restoration job, and exceptional upkeep.

Kids are begging us to come back to Lubavitch at least for the last days of Pesach. With our return flight on Isru Chag, I don't know if it's possible.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 04:56:46 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2024, 04:28:02 PM »
Amazing TR. any pictures of the proverbial blotteh, or is April too late for that?

My grandson tripped outdoors on Motzoei Shabbos and got all dirty and started crying. He was calmed when he was told that people yearn for the Lubavitch blotteh. He now has something to be proud of for life. Priceless.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2024, 05:23:37 PM »
Apparently we were the first non-domestic group to spend Shabbos in Lubavitch.

Rabbi Gordon starts off with extensive research, and follows through with thorough restoration.

He relies and works a lot with Rabbi Nosson Gurary (formerly from Buffalo) who was the first to research and restore the Tziunim in Lubavitch.

Lubavitch has two Jewish cemeteries. The old one which has no visible markings, other than a fence around it, was unfortunately used post WW2 for dumpling trash. The "new" one is where the Tziunim are. When originally located by Rabbi Gurary it was a forested area with lots of grass and shrubs. A local non-Jewish old lady apparently helped them locate the Tziunim within the forest.

It has now been cleaned up, and is partially restored. The section closer to the entrance had no tombstones. Now there are marked graves with tombstones. When I asked Rabbi Gordon how they were able to mark the grave boundaries, he said there's an organization that does this for old Jewish cemeteries. They have equipment which detects underground density (or something similar) and mark graves. All the tombstones in the section closest to the entrance do not correspond to the actual graves. After WW2 the local goyim took the tombstones to use in constructing homes in the are (Lubavitch and surrounding villages). He says almost any old house had several tombstones in it. They bring them over and put them on top of graves that were located.

For the deeper areas tombstones were all over the field. Rabbonim instructed to just raise them in place, and once actual rows are located, to move as needed.

חצר רבותינו נשיאינו is an entire project. While the first structure there was a museum (not currently in use) old maps, drawing and memories were used, followed by excavations to locate old foundations. Apparently some empty bottles of Benedictine were found during excavations. The two structures currently built are those where location and shape were confirmed, and construction is rather advanced (as shown in the pictures). Our Sheva Brochos was actually the first time the place was used for meals.

-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2024, 05:34:41 PM »
An interesting story told on Shabbos by Rabbi Kogan about the first time he visited Lubavitch, about 40 years ago. He went on a trip to some major Lithuanian and Belarusian cities, and took some Jewish youngsters (from Vilnius IINM) on a trip which was supposed to reach Lubavitch at the end. This was the Soviet era, when stopped one needed to explain what business they had in a place which is far from their residence.

During one of the stops, while the KGB agents were questioning the people who they ordered out of the car, they instructed a local policeman to inspect the car. Rabbi Kogan got worried as the trunk was full of Jewish "contraband" (Siddurim, Shechita knives, etc.). The policeman went over to the cars, checked the steering, the breaks, lights, and turn signals, and came back with an approval that the car is OK. They were cleared to continue on the trip when Rabbi Kogan explained that they are visiting ancestral graves.

As often happens when spending a long time in a crammed car, the youngsters got into various fights and arguments. Just before reaching Lubavitch, Rabbi Kogan stopped the car, and told them that is not a way to come to Lubavitch. He stopped the car on the side pulled out some mashke, and had them all make peace with each other before continuing into Lubavitch.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 06:40:53 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2024, 06:29:28 PM »
I will now go back to our flight and connection experience.

I managed to book a total of 5 economy and 1 business class tickets on MS JFK-CAI-DME. The rest were revenue or in my own case a combination of revenue and LM.

MS apparently has Wifi on some of their newer planes. Those do not include the 777 which it flies between JFK and CAI nor the 737-800 on the CAI-DME route. Staff (in J) was very nice. KSML was airport stock. Regal from JFK, Hermolis from CAI.

Our transportation to JFK consisted of a minibus for the passengers and a van for the luggage. It took some time to cram everything in, with 29 checked in pcs, and about 40 or more pcs to take on board (carry ons and personal items). With 8 children under 12 (including an infant) and some teenagers who were acting like teenagers, it's not simple. Despite best intentions to have all bags numbered and marked, things didn't work exactly as planned.

DD's strollers were taken at the gate in JFK and were supposed to be delivered to her at the gate in CAI, they were not there, nor were they with the checked luggage at DME. I did get a call on Motzoei Shabbos from DME lost and found saying that they are sending us the lost luggage (presumably the strollers).  We obviously waited to deplane last both in CAI and in DME. On the Outbound route a terminal change was required at CAI (landed at 3 and needed to transfer to 2). Upon entering terminal 2 there were two security checkpoints. One for flights to Russia and the other for all other flights. The security check for flights to Russia was closed.  We were told we would need to wait 30 minutes, which turned into an hour. I later figured that they needed Russian agents to be present.

I was first in line for screening, we loaded all the regular stuff onto the belt for x-ray screening, and we're then instructed by a(n evidently antisemitic) Egyptian policeman to remove glasses, Jewelry (including children's earrings), anything metallic, and Yarmulka. I was willing to comply with everything except Yarmulka. I raised it to show there's nothing between it and my head, but the policeman didn't relent. DW tried arguing it's religious dress, but nothing. I then suggested that I stay in place and pass the Yarmulka through the machine. At that point the Egyptian police relented and allowed me to pass with my Yarmulka on, without passing it separately through the x-ray machine.

At the other end of the x-ray machine, any bag that had anything metallic or electrical was inspected, and the bargaining for each item started. Step down AC converter required some arguing, until the higher ranking Egyptian police officer approved it. Then came the candlesticks for our new daughter-in-law. Two large metallic items. The Egyptians wouldn't relent, DW kept on arguing, until the Egyptian commander called over a lady that was inconspicuously standing on the side, and asked for her approval. Thankfully she approved it. That is when I realized that the entire process is being supervised by Russian agents. I wonder if that was why the Egyptian commander started laughing when at an earlier stage when a certain item was questioned, I exclaimed in my broken Arabic "Russia Majnoon".

Once we were past this, we decided to skip the lounge, as every stop was a major operation with all the kids and the luggage. We got to our (enclosed) gate area, that seemed to have a security check area, which was unmanned when we arrived. Seating area was about 8-10 steps down (no ramp or elevator). After settling everyone and all the carry ons down, I took a change of closed and dashed over to the lounges to try and get a shower.

The lounge area is somewhat unclear as to which area belongs to which lounge. I reached the EgyptAir lounge, but when I inquired I was told there are no showers. I headed to the priority pass lounge, that has showers available for $10. At that point I realized I had left all my cash and CC at the gate area. Luckily Apple Pay was an option and off it was to the shower. There was only one towel in the shower. I requested another one (luckily as shower doors didn't seem to do a great job in stopping the water from getting entire bathroom floor wet). After the shower I grabbed a couple of water bottles to bring back to my family at the gate and headed to the gate.

Upon arriving there, I saw that everyone and everything was being passed through manual screening, which meant luggage and kids had to be taken up the stairs to go through screening. Unfortunately I was not there to help. My portable metal folding shtender was taken away (even though it was allowed at first security check point). The water I brought from the lounge was also taken away.

We finally boarded the flight. 737-800 J was like US domestic F. After arrival and picking up our luggage at DME, we realized that the strollers aren't coming, so DD went along with DS who speaks Russian to file a report. Since she filed a report she was forced to go through the red customs lane, which took some extra time. Everyone else went through the green lanes, and weren't stopped, questioned or inspected.

Upon reaching our destination and unpacking, DD realized that a carry on that contained much of her family's wedding clothes (her dress, her husband's kapota, kids shoes, and possibly more items) didn't come along with us. A call to the van that brought us from the airport, as well as the van and minibus that took us to JFK, came back with nothing.

DW went into a hyperdrive global operation, having a new kapota delivered from. NY with someone, new shoes for kids from EY (and backup ordered online in Russia). Eventually everyone looked gorgeous at the wedding (DD had a spare dress for additional occasions). But mood wasn't great leading up to the wedding, as well as lost sleep by my amazing DW that arranged everything.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2024, 06:32:12 PM »
Shortly after we boarded the coach bus that is taking us back to Moscow from Lubavitch, our family members from EY who are booked on the Sunday evening ELAL flight were notified that their flight was canceled (due to Iran threats) with no further info.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2024, 06:37:02 PM »
Soviet era WW2 fallen soldiers memorial.

TO THE VALORABLE SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO GAVE THEIR LIFE FOR THE FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE OF THE MOTHERLAND IN THE GREAT PATRIOTIC WAR

1941-1945

from grateful descendants

DS who has been to several former Soviet cities says that every city (in former Soviet Republics) has such a Soviet era memorial to the fallen soldiers from that town.

IINM I mentioned once before on DDF that for Russians WW2 wasn't about antisemitism and concentration and death camps (which didn't exist in Russia proper or even in Eastern Ukraine). It is "The Patriotic War" to defend the motherland.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2024, 06:49:32 PM »
I got most of my family Russian SIMs that were delivered to the airport for us, while I am still using my Verizon free travel pass days (I had 10 available).

In Russia it seems like Megafon has the best coverage. So if you get yourself a local SIM I recommend Megafon or Yota which is an MVNO owned by Megafon and using its towers. VZ uses Megafon, so I often had family members using my Hotspot rather than their local SIM. That is when I discovered that VZ only gives 2GB of high speed data per travel pass day, after which it switches to 3G which is useless.

eSIMs aren't popular in Russia. Though a regular SIM can be converted to an eSIMs online by locals who can be verified on Russian databases. Otherwise one needs to go to a store that sells prepaid SIMs to get one (showing local ID or Passport and Visa for visitors).
-- Dan