Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Motorola Moto E 2015 8GB $16.21 FS (Verizon - GSM) Bestbuy + Price Protection  (Read 11777 times)

Offline TorontoGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Just bought a couple of these, before I start them up, has anyone used them on a GSM or Verizon Post Paid?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Just bought a couple of these, before I start them up, has anyone used them on a GSM or Verizon Post Paid?
Sounds like once you start them up with the Verizon prepaid card inside, you're stuck until you have six active months.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
Sounds like once you start them up with the Verizon prepaid card inside, you're stuck until you have six active months.
So as long as I take the SIM that is currently in out before I turn it on, I will be okay for both Verizon Post Paid and GSM Carriers?

Offline steroplasma

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
So as long as I take the SIM that is currently in out before I turn it on, I will be okay for both Verizon Post Paid and GSM Carriers?
No for gsm it will require some additional tweaking as described above despite the fact that you placed the sim card in before intial start up. For post paid from the SD wiki "For those wanting to use on Verizon Wireless (post-paid), PagePlus, or another Verizon MVNO, just put in your already active SIM card when you first power on device and you will be good." if you dont do it on first start up your stuck for 6 months b4 it can be used on post paid.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
I have a Verizon SIM that used to be active on my Post Paid, however I switched to an old VZW that doesn't have a SIM. Will that SIM suffice for initial startup?

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
Anyone have a clue what the slot on the right side of the Moto E is? It seems to have a piece of paper in it (Like the "pull -me" for cheap toys) and I'm afraid to check.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:50:10 AM by TorontoGuy »

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
Anyone have a clue what the slot on the right side of the Moto E is? It seems to have a piece of paper in it (Like the "pull -me" for cheap toys) and I'm afraid to check.
Ha! It's a pull tab, that has the phone info you usually would find under a battery. FCC ID, IMEI etc...   Very Cute

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
I have had a few questions about unlocking the phone so I will tell yo guys what I did, but Im not a tech guy anything you do at to your phone you do at your own risk.

1- I called Metro pcs from a landline and told them Im switching phones and gave them the IMEI on the box of the Moto e [ Im pretty sure you only have to do this step with Metro but maybe ATT too]

2 - put in my sim into the phone and turned it on and set it up
my phone either shipped or automatically updated to android 5.1

3-followed instructions from xda forum to set up usb debugging
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e-2015/general/how-to-verizon-moto-e-2015-gsm-network-t3098953

4- downloaded* zip file with 'auto script'
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1zhN8KFcCjqYWl6UDR6clNWa2s/view   [I found this link on the xda forum and take no responsibility for anything it does to your computer or phone]
*I did this on a desktop running Windows 10

5- plugged moto into computer via usb [ you need to except or click yes on your phone - dont remember the details, but the script has vague instructions]

6 - ran script from downloaded zip file- followed instructions to hit the anykey a few times
phone should reboot on it own

at this point I had voice and SMS but not data

7 - googled  APN for Metro pcs and added the apn--- settings>more>cellular networks > Access point names

8 - rebooted

I now have 4g LTE but sometimes I only have H+ Im not sure why

based on the XDa forums you have to repeat this process every time you factory reset your phone or put in a new sim card so I saved a copy of the zip file to my harddrive so I would have it for future needs.
this also means it may not be the best for using when traveling as you wont just be able to put any sim you buy you also have to run the script

I hoped this helped

You have to download the Device drivers first, (I was using a Win 7)  then it worked perfectly.  Here is the link http://www.motorola.com/getmdmwin
It may say "Non Verizon SIM" just swipe away the notification, and it will work.

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Change.org Petition page

There really is one of these for everything...

Offline talmid chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Got this a few days ago for one of my orders of 2 phones
Talmid Chuchem, please accept our apology for this inconvenience.

Due to popular demand, we've temporarily run out of the item(s) listed below. However, we now expect the item(s) to arrive at your door no later than Tuesday, December 29, 2015.

For more information and to see additional options, check out the What You Need to Know section below.

Thank you for your patience. Please know that we'll do everything we can to deliver your order by the date noted above.

Sincerely,

Pedram Afshar
Vice President, Customer Experience

Now i got this cancellation email

Best Buy order update.

Hello Talmid Chuchem,

Unfortunately, the item(s) you purchased below are still on backorder. We are unable to acquire additional inventory for these items, and therefore will not be able to fulfill your order. We have canceled your order and will credit any payment back to your original account.

We know this is disappointing, so please accept our sincerest apologies. In addition, we also would like to offer you a one-time savings code that you could use on your order with us.

$10.00 off your next purchase1
Promotional Code: ***************
PIN: ****
Expiration Date: January 1, 2016

For credit card payments, we have released your funds. If you used My Best Buy reward certificates, points will be credited to your My Best Buy account. Any other forms of payment will be refunded from your local Best Buy store.

Again, we apologize that we were unable to meet your needs for this order. We value you as a Best Buy customer and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Pedram Afshar
Vice President, Customer Experience
Go explain to them that i was planning on making much more then $5 per phone....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:55:24 AM by talmid chuchem »

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
Will this work with PagePlus?

If yes, will it got locked to the Verizon network like if i would activate it on a Verizon plan?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Will this work with PagePlus?

If yes, will it got locked to the Verizon network like if i would activate it on a Verizon plan?
I've read that to use it on page plus, the page plus sim must be in the phone the 1 st time the phone is powered on.

You should still be able to use it later on with other gsm networks, following the excellent advice posted above and here

Offline jollyjoe

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
If I put no sim in when I start it up can I use vzw postpaid after

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Sounds like not, but ymmv

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
If you did not setup the phone or have a sim in,the phone will work on Verizon postpaid.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Discover approved my 1st claim for $60, check will arrive within 10 days. Not bad.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
So I got this for use with AT&T (It works well, although I don't usually get 4G LTE speeds. I usually get H+). I don't see any reason it shouldn't work if I were to decide to switch to T-mobile but I was wondering if anyone here did that (got this phone and is now using it with t-mobile).

Offline mendygold92

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I thought I saw Dan posting a link once on the site, about how to unlock this moto E Verizon phone, anyone know how? Or where the link/discussion is?

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
I thought I saw Dan posting a link once on the site, about how to unlock this moto E Verizon phone, anyone know how? Or where the link/discussion is?
Look upthread

Offline mendygold92

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Look upthread
Didn't understand,
I searched in many ways in many threads, can't find it