Author Topic: Long Live OnePass!  (Read 11973 times)

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
Re: Long Live OnePass!
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
Please be more specific than that.

You once had a post listing all the pros and cons of the UA and CO (i think: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/7001) and it seems that they have taken each con and brought it to the other airline,

Tell me what advantages from either airline were brought to the other?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
Absolute rubbish, so far at least.  I'd say the best of both worlds has been happening and I'm impressed so far.

I still get american reps when I call CO, alcohol and wifi are now free in all clubs, continental.com is here to stay, starnet blocking is gone, continental's award policies are winning out, economy plus is coming to continental, onepass numbers are here to stay, silver/gold/plat names replace lame premier and premier exec names, 75k level stays, 1MM now earns lifetime *G with companion earning lifetime *G as well, etc, etc, etc.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:18:46 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:57 PM »
Absolute rubbish, so far at least.  I'd say the best of both worlds has been happening and I'm impressed so far.

I still get american reps when I call CO, alcohol and wifi are now free in all clubs, continental.com is here to stay, starnet blocking is gone, continental's award policies are winning out, economy plus is coming to continental, onepass numbers are here to stay, silver/gold/plat names replace lame premier and premier exec names, 75k level stays, 1MM now earns lifetime *G with companion earning lifetime *G as well, etc, etc, etc.

MR transfers died (or was that pre-UA-merger as well).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »
onepass numbers are here to stay,
used to be much easier to create duplicate CO account than UA. hope that option stays available (kinda helps with churning)

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
The website stays Continental's. thats good new!!
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:10 PM »
MR transfers died (or was that pre-UA-merger as well).
May or may not have been merger related.  Chase was bound to force COs hand their at some point, just as they did to United and Southwest.  And like Chase did to CO/UA/WN with SPG.
The good thing is that UR is a more than adequate replacement, with much easier transfers and no fees.

used to be much easier to create duplicate CO account than UA. hope that option stays available (kinda helps with churning)
Considering that CO.com and the CO Onepass format are sticking around I think we may dodge a bullet there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:42 PM »
Absolute rubbish, so far at least.  I'd say the best of both worlds has been happenning.

In that post I quoted you seem to be quite pessimistic about the merger.
-AFAIR Wifi has always been free in UA clubs, I was never a big alcohol drinker so I don't recall
yes, the new website will be co's with the domain being united.com (i don't know much about the co website and i really haven't found -any advantages of it over united, I actually think united's looks nice and more modern!)
-this is the first i hear about starnet blocking being removed, I welcome that if it's true
-economy plus id definitely a plus
-i don't see the maaleh of op numbers over ua
-names really mean nothing
-they brought in a new level to make 75k there highest level remains 100k
-i don't know much about the lifetime status as i am far from it

a few cons that i can think of,
-miles expiration staying
-close in award fee re-introduced ("in order the align the programs" why not take it away from co to align it?)
-same horrible ceo of united
-reduced the bonus that gold/prem exec get from 100% miles to 50%
-reduced the economy plus to 1 companion not 8

either way it's hard to think of examples off the top of my head, but i recall every time i receive an email about a merger update they seem to have taken the disadvantage from whichever airline and brought it to the other.
I have always been a United elite and have barely ever flown CO so when i first heard about the merger i was excited, i thought that this is a merger between a bad airline (ua) and a better one (co), the better one stands to lose but i couldn't imagine the bad one would get any worse, so what do i have to lose being a united customer? but apparently they had their ways of making united worse too.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
Aha, you're a UA guy.
Yet you think the new UA is run by the "same horrible ceo of united?"  Actually the CEO came from CO.  The UA CEO is long gone.

You can thank CO that you can make routing and airline changes on awards for free.  And that you can book awards across both oceans and with roundabout routing.  And for allowing a stopover and an open jaw.  And for making changes to awards after departure.  And for cheaper RTW award tickets.... 

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 11:59:59 PM »
Aha, you're a UA guy.
Yet you think the new UA is run by the "same horrible ceo of united?"  Actually the CEO came from CO.  The UA CEO is long gone.

You can thank CO that you can make routing and airline changes on awards for free.  And that you can book awards across both oceans and with roundabout routing.  And for allowing a stopover and an open jaw.  And for making changes to awards after departure.  And for cheaper RTW award tickets....

Listen, as you said, I am a UA guy, but I'm more than happy to hear about benefits being added, it just seems to me that there are very few. All the benefits that are practical to me seem to have been reduced if not terminated. As far as I have seen, Jeff Smisek doesn't seem to be too popular.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
Oh and also penalties for cancelling and changing awards are way down from the PMUA days.

And what have you lost?
Close-in fees are back, though you can workaround them easily.
E+ for Golds goes from 8 to 1, although that has a workaround as well IME.
So miles earned on flights goes down from 100% to 50%.  Small reduction in benefits for numerous gains.
The UA folks on FT just like to whine and groan and then whine some more because the stupid tulip is gone or because <insert daily gripe>

The real losers here are folks like me with the CO PP card.  Everything that made that premium card awesome is gone, save for elimination of close-in fees for cardholders.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:07:24 AM by Dan »

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
Close-in fees are back, though you can workaround them easily.

how?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
Search and ye will probably find.  Same as it works for AA.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 01:16:14 AM »
Regarding the title of this thread: What's the big whoop? A number is a number...
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 03:29:58 AM »
United started selling tires.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
Regarding the title of this thread: What's the big whoop? A number is a number...
I've had my CO number since I was 4 years old.  You can't understand the emotional attachment to a number?

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »
United breaks guitars

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:25 AM »
United breaks guitars

Lol!

Well said!

FIFY

Offline goodenglewood

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum, *W Platinum, AA Gold, Hertz Platinum, National Executive
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »

The real losers here are folks like me with the CO PP card.  Everything that made that premium card awesome is gone, save for elimination of close-in fees for cardholders.
What changed with the CO PP Card? You can still accrue FQM's, right? To me, that was the biggest benefit.....

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
What changed with the CO PP Card? You can still accrue FQM's, right? To me, that was the biggest benefit.....
Only up to 75k.

They expire and no longer count for lifetime miles.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
Only up to 75k.

They expire and no longer count for lifetime miles.
That and every card now gives priority access and only 1 companion gets 2 free bags now.