Author Topic: swiss air denies frum passengers boarding to TLV  (Read 330 times)

Offline dwkl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA lifetime platinum
swiss air denies frum passengers boarding to TLV
« on: Yesterday at 12:19:43 PM »
on 5/5 
5 frum passengers were denied boarding as their tickets were over staying the 3 month visa
as is common practice once in israel you can extend the visa for the duration of ones stay up to a year which most students do
 i told  them to purchase any 1 way return fully refundable ticket within 3 months which they all  did
 they let them all on though they cancelled the return trip  on all the reservations
 the gate agent wasnt happy about not letting them check in originally  (as directed by her supervisor)and was happy with this solution and whispered yes that will work to get you on the flight)
  Did SWISS AIR have the right to deny boarding because a return ticket was longer then the 90 day israel visa?

Online Zali

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: swiss air denies frum passengers boarding to TLV
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:31:33 PM »
I was on the ORD-ZRH flight on Sunday. At the gate they announced that anyone who was connecting with United or had a mobile boarding pass needed to have their passports checked. A bochur who was connecting from Phoenix was also not going to be allowed to board for the same reason, but they let him on with the acceptance email from his Yeshiva. He approached me so his parents could email the letter to me (he only had a dumbphone), and when we showed the gate agent the email, she told me that I would need to stick with him as he would also need this letter for the next flight, though they didn't check in Zurich. Separately, the bochur who sat next to me on the Israel leg told me he had the same visa issue in JFK, and booked a separate return so he could board.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:36:34 PM »
I always make sure there's a (cancellable) return ticket available. I very often sent my kids with one way tickets (mileage), so I had that just in case.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline sruli17

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:45:09 PM »
My brother leaving from Montreal yesterday had same issue. While trying to check- in online they were denying him the printing pass. He booked a refundable ticket and that worked for him as well.         

Offline dwkl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:32:41 PM »
its known on a 1 way ticket they give issues but never on a RT tkt which shows your returning what im trying to findout if airline has a right to deny boarding though you have an automatic 3 months stay to enter israel what diff does it make to the airline if youre entering legally

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:41:28 PM »
its known on a 1 way ticket they give issues but never on a RT tkt which shows your returning what im trying to findout if airline has a right to deny boarding though you have an automatic 3 months stay to enter israel what diff does it make to the airline if youre entering legally

They are subject to heavy fines for carrying a passenger who does not have the proper documents
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:17:43 PM »
Very misleading header for the post. The denial was because of the visa not because the passengers were frum

Offline dwkl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:42:27 PM »
had you spoken to the passengers as i have youd understand the "very misleading header"