Author Topic: Merits and Demerits: The Best CC for Actual Spend  (Read 13849 times)

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
Re: Merits and Demerits: The Best CC for Actual Spend
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
Why SP over EDP for regular purchases?
I meant SP is the most valuable card out of the 3 that AJK mentioned.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
--2x on groceries (which no other card offers, and is better than the 1.5x possible with fee-free AMEX Everyday)
Isn't ED non-preferred 2.4% on groceries?

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
Isn't ED non-preferred 2.4% on groceries?

Or OBC and others. It really makes no sense to me why they put this feature on this card.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »
+1 unless there is bonus categories with other cards.. Like taxes for flights = prg. Restaurants etc. But basic spending for me is all SPG

Well, then you're deviating from the OP and suggesting a two-card portfolio, one of which is the SPG and the other being PRG.

Personally, that would not be my one-two punch.

Not to mention, you'd better be doing a crap-ton of spending on the SPG to earn enough miles to fly premium cabins, especially with *zero* bonused spend, aside from SPG hotels.

It seems the only factor that PRG has over SP is the 2x on groceries and gas.
That makes SP a better overall card to me.
I would still use EDP or PRG for groceries and gas, and they pay for themselves with AMEX benefits.

Not only 2x on G/G, but it beats SP on all the attendant bennies, like offers, bonuses, protections, sbs, which are huge and probably the most compelling aspect.

I couldn't agree more with you and for me personally this is no concern and I don't care about APR at all because >> *we don't pay interest on purchases we make!*but the truth is that many people do and factor this in when choosing their respective CC.

These people should not be concerned with this thread or rewards cards at all. They should balance transfer to a 0% card and stop paying interest.

This isn't a game for people who pay interest. Period.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
If its indeed 1 card to go to war with its probably going to be the ink card & me getting gift cards at staples. for everyday spend. Crazy but only having 1 card is crazy too :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »
If its indeed 1 card to go to war with its probably going to be the ink card & me getting gift cards at staples. for everyday spend. Crazy but only having 1 card is crazy too :)

Personally, I think that's an absolutely ridiculous idea.

Lose CC protections; lose effective record keeping; additional responsibility of keeping track of all the various GCs both from a perspective of how much is on each to not losing the actual card; to... you know, having to deal not with 1 or 2 cards, but dozens.

No thanks.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mb1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
Not only 2x on G/G, but it beats SP on all the attendant bennies, like offers, bonuses, protections, sbs, which are huge and probably the most compelling aspect.

Almost every AMEX card has those benefits.
I think the TP on the SP makes it more valuable then the other two premium cards you mentioned.

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
Personally, I think that's an absolutely ridiculous idea.

Lose CC protections; lose effective record keeping; additional responsibility of keeping track of all the various GCs both from a perspective of how much is on each to not losing the actual card; to... you know, having to deal not with 1 or 2 cards, but dozens.

No thanks.

the entire thread is ridiculous. I value more to maximize & squeeze out as many points as possible. You it seems from your posts at least that you like the benefits more.
With the ink you can maximize your points. The EDP would probably next be in line IMO.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »
the entire thread is ridiculous. I value more to maximize & squeeze out as many points as possible. You it seems from your posts at least that you like the benefits more.
With the ink you can maximize your points. The EDP would probably next be in line IMO.
Some people hit 50K on Ink in 1 month via MS. Now what card should they use?

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
Asking me? Ask AJK lol

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2015, 02:16:10 PM »
Asking me? Ask AJK lol
I was saying that Ink isn't an everyday card. It's an MS card.

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
The GC's you are buying become the everyday card. Again this thread is pointless. Basically everyone has more than 1 CC.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »
The GC's you are buying become the everyday card. Again this thread is pointless. Basically everyone has more than 1 CC.
Yeah, but maybe he's looking for an answer for the people who come up to him in Shul and ask what CC should I get? lol

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
Almost every AMEX card has those benefits.
I think the TP on the SP makes it more valuable then the other two premium cards you mentioned.

Of course all AMEX cards have those benefits, but you compared the AMEX cards to the SP, which does not...

So you personally feel that the travel protections > amex offers, sbs, bonuses, and protections?

Fair enough, but not me :)

Well, then you've resigned yourself to carrying a dozen cards around, and that's your entitlement. This thread is simply debating the merits and demerits of the top cards out there in an analysis to determine the one or two best cards for actual spend, seeking a more streamlined approach, taking into account annual fees, bonused spend, and other bennies and protections.  If you think that is "pointless" then I won't take it personally.

Some people hit 50K on Ink in 1 month via MS. Now what card should they use?

Yup.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
Probably CSP:

Better sign up-bonus (then PRG) which can then be redeemed for more using UR (vs Amex).
2x on travel is better then 3x on Airfare in my mind as 2x on travel is much broader and applies to more people (car rental,tolls+bridges, parking, bus)
2x dining + 3x dining on first Friday of the month
While it sucks that CSP has ended the dividends program but so has the 15K for 30K in Spend ended on the Amex front.

I really just looked at overall daily spend otherwise it would prob be real close considering SBS and Amex offers. If I should include those then I really want at least 2-3 cards in my wallet at all times.
Work hard, Play harder!

Online hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »
I tend to agree with AJK. PRG and CSP are my cards of choice to spend. I use PRG for my GC purchases at groceries. I make sure to have maxed out the EDP and BCP Grocery Spend first though. Thats 27k MR and $360 respectively, annually. Low hanging fruit. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline mb1

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »
Of course all AMEX cards have those benefits, but you compared the AMEX cards to the SP, which does not...

So you personally feel that the travel protections > amex offers, sbs, bonuses, and protections?

Fair enough, but not me :)

Didn't mean that. Bottom line is you need more then one card.
But SP vs PRG and you have to choose one I would choose SP.
Of course if you are talking about chosing  your one and only card I would go with AMEX.
Probably EDP or SPG because PRG can get expensive with AUs.
But you need a MC or Visa for all the places that don't accept AMEX.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:44:17 PM by mb1 »

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »
The thing is, I don't like looking at other benefits like SBS, offers, CDW because those aren't important for someone's main 1-2 cards for daily spending. Those cards can stay in your drawer and still get those offers/be pulled out for a car rental. To me, which cards give bonus spending categories (plus return protection) is the main decision for daily purchases.

But, again, this is based on personal spending habits.

I was all SP for a long time for travel and restaurants (How often is one buying cash airfare for 3x? Would rather have 2x for the few times instead of holding onto another card). Then I went SP + ED (for supermarkets). Then I decided I have a lot of UR/MR and would rather collect SPG and A+ since my balances are low in those. Why not use PRG? Because I didn't want the AF or dealing with churning it. Yet, I have no problem churning SP (obviously).

So what do we see from my analysis? It's just up to a person's needs/wants.

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »
why do we need a new thread? there's already a thread about comparing credit cards. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=25991.0
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »
why do we need a new thread? there's already a thread about comparing credit cards. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=25991.0

You really think the two threads are discussing the same thing?