Author Topic: Is it time to reopen the country?  (Read 44213 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Is it time to reopen the country?
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
The fight of the Straw Men.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2020, 07:58:16 PM »
Please quote where I have advocated for a continued lockdown. I am advocating for a responsible and safe reopening. We have ramped up testing capacity, lowered active infections, discovered more about transmission and treatment, and educated many peopleas  to the risks. Many health care workers hopefully have antibodies, and there is probably some more immunity through the general population as well. We want to prevent a sharp surge in new infections so it needs to be done smartly, not just letting everyone out at once, but I am for reopening most businesses in a safe and regulated manner. You seem to be for no regulation, is that accurate?
That sounds pretty reasonable but that's not what your previous posts seemed to imply

I don't advocate a total immediate opening but something much more accelerated than is going on in NJ
So far Murphy has opened up things that either were never closed or never should have been closed. (other than the beach)
Time (or more precisely was time a week or two ago) to start a serious phased reopening like they have done in GA TX or FL (I don't mean all the details but the general idea)

Online etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2020, 07:58:46 PM »
So far Murphy has opened up things that either were never closed or never should have been closed.
Time (or more precisely was time a week or two ago) to start a serious phased reopening like they have done in GA TX or FL (I don't mean all the details but the general idea)
+1
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2020, 07:59:24 PM »
And that will prevent any more people from dying? Or will the same people die, over a longer period of time?
I don't know the answer to that.
Of course the hope is that then less people will die. Anyone who makes it to the point of vaccine or proper treatment will survive. If we basically keep the virus at bay by stopping it from ripping through the population again (through random testing as well as rapid testing of any suspected infections) we’ll hopefully have less people dying as well. What’s difficult about that?

There has already been a lot of information learned about how to deal with this virus, and mortality rate is expected to decline. Ventilators were one early culprit in many deaths.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2020, 08:01:23 PM »
Of course the hope is that then less people will die. Anyone who makes it to the point of vaccine or proper treatment will survive. If we basically keep the virus at bay by stopping it from ripping through the population again (through random testing as well as rapid testing of any suspected infections) we’ll hopefully have less people dying as well. What’s difficult about that?

There has already been a lot of information learned about how to deal with this virus, and mortality rate is expected to decline. Ventilators were one early culprit in many deaths.
Agree. So when will we draw the line that "now we know enough about this virus that it is safe for normal life to resume"? Treatment will hopefully keep improving over time. Should we wait for a vaccine?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2020, 08:01:56 PM »
That sounds pretty reasonable but that's not what your previous posts seemed to imply

I don't advocate a total immediate opening but something much more accelerated than is going on in NJ
So far Murphy has opened up things that either were never closed or never should have been closed. (other than the beach)
I don’t know where you saw that. If you are talking about posts from weeks ago, well, those posts held true then. The situation obviously changes from day to day and week to week. By the way, we’re talking about the state, not about Halacha and Judaism. I think there is a different playbook for Yiddishkeit and law although some here don’t seem to realize that.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2020, 08:05:41 PM »
Agree. So when will we draw the line that "now we know enough about this virus that it is safe for normal life to resume"? Treatment will hopefully keep improving over time. Should we wait for a vaccine?
We should be phasing ourselves back in to normal life and constantly test the water. We can hopefully keep the virus at bay through testing and isolation. Constant research on treatment and vaccines means that even if it proves impossible to keep at bay fully we have something to hope for to end this earlier. I don’t think we should have full arenas with no restrictions for quite a while, unless we have managed to quell any new flare ups successfully a few times.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2020, 08:06:20 PM »
The fight of the Straw Men.
Aka the politicians.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »

Your issue seems to be with NJ in particular, which has some of the strictest rules in the country. You're also comparing NJ's reopening to 3 of the largest states in the country, who have less than half of NJ's death toll COMBINED.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2020, 08:11:56 PM »
Amazing how many people fail to understand nuance. Obviously opening is going to be a process. Nobody is saying keep everything closed and nobody is saying open everything at once.

FWIW, I think Ohio's reaction to closing and opening has been excellent. Closed things down before they got bad, and have been opening them up again gradually over the past few weeks. Looking a whole lot better than neighbors like Michigan.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »

Amazing how many people fail to understand nuance.
That sums up the internet.

Online ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
Your issue seems to be with NJ in particular, which has some of the strictest rules in the country. You're also comparing NJ's reopening to 3 of the largest states in the country, who have less than half of NJ's death toll COMBINED.
I happen to live in NJ as do many of the other posters here hence the focus on NJ
I don't have issues with the states that are doing things at a reasonable pace
While NJ was very bad new cases and hospitalizations have been dropping rapidly for weeks
We have passed all the metrics Gov Murphy originally gave to start reopening at least a week ago and as of now he has basically opened nothing. Hence the complaints of an indefinite lockdown

Online ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
Amazing how many people fail to understand nuance. Obviously opening is going to be a process. Nobody is saying keep everything closed and nobody is saying open everything at once.
The point is that in NJ they haven't really started the process

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2020, 08:24:51 PM »
The point is that in NJ they haven't really started the process
And this, as I have written numerous times, is the source of many problems. He is in a fight to become the biggest straw man of all.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2020, 08:54:15 PM »

Any state that is still under lockdown has literally already posted criteria for ending the lockdown, and has begun easing restrictions. What are you talking about?

California criteria for reopening is 14 days straight with zero COVID deaths.

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
These governors are living in alternative reality riding around the state and saying we did everything we could
People are burnt
Cuomo says everyday we can’t force people just give them facts bla bla
They got to get their act together

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:45 PM »
It is the first step in a phased reopening, although I agree he is not doing it fast enough or smartly enough
He missed the boat. People aren't waiting around any longer for him to drag this on as long as possible.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but I believe there is a deliberate effort by the Democratic party to sabotage the economy so Trump doesn't win reelection. (No, Bush was not behind 9/11)
BH the systems won’t be overwhelmed. Flatten the curve was an answer to skeptics who said “we’re all going to catch it anyway”, the answer was “even so we’ll still save lives by spreading it out”. Why is it a bad thing to prevent more people from actually getting sick and dying? Now that we flattened the curve we must let everyone out at once and negate everything that was accomplished?
You mean the government lied to us? This is why I have an issue trusting the government.
A) Didn't actually answer my question. B) You keep using the term "lockdown." I don't know what this is. To my knowledge, there has been no lockdown in this country due to covid-19. There have been state and local stay-at-home ordinances restricting gatherings, but by and large, people have been able to move around freely. You say lockdown like we're at war and people will get shot if they leave their homes. It's rhetoric like this which exacerbates the debate and the divide.
Lockdown refers to government telling people they can't open their stores and government telling me I'm not allowed to stand outside and talk to my neighbor.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2020, 09:12:34 PM »
California criteria for reopening is 14 days straight with zero COVID deaths.
'Pie in the sky' like most left wing radical agendas.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
A) Didn't actually answer my question. B) You keep using the term "lockdown." I don't know what this is. To my knowledge, there has been no lockdown in this country due to covid-19. There have been state and local stay-at-home ordinances restricting gatherings, but by and large, people have been able to move around freely. You say lockdown like we're at war and people will get shot if they leave their homes. It's rhetoric like this which exacerbates the debate and the divide.

Hiding in our house are we?! so let me fill you in, on what we as a country are going through.
The term LOCKDOWN refers to the government mandating that every aspect of our life shut down, and dictating our every move.
From small and large businesses owners being forced to shutter their doors or lay off employees, resulting in the unemployment  of 33 Million Americans, to closing schools and places of worship, from closing state and county parks to encouraging citizens to inform on their neighbors if they get too close to one another, from police showing up at a private residence because their child had a play date with a neighbor to police brutally and physically harassing a mother in front of her child because her mask wasn't on properly. 

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2020, 09:36:48 PM »

He missed the boat. People aren't waiting around any longer for him to drag this on as long as possible.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but I believe there is a deliberate effort by the Democratic party to sabotage the economy so Trump doesn't win reelection. (No, Bush was not behind 9/11) You mean the government lied to us? This is why I have an issue trusting the government. Lockdown refers to government telling people they can't open their stores and government telling me I'm not allowed to stand outside and talk to my neighbor.

+1, but flattening the curve includes keeping it flat.