Author Topic: NYC-MIA advice  (Read 4941 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
NYC-MIA advice
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »
I want to go from NY to Miami for around 10 days at the end of August. I couldn't pull the trigger earlier in the year because of work and other constraints, and now that I can, I'm balking at the price (having trouble finding anything that works for us under $400 a ticket). I've been watching prices rise over the last few weeks, and I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet now or take a wiat and see approach. I have miles for AA (Avios) and Delta too, and I get the sense browsing DDF that waiting for availability to open up right before I want to go is dangerous for my route/time of year.

My question is, is it any different for paid tickets? Can I have a reasonable expectation of finding a cheap ticket late in the game, or do I have the same problem as I would with miles because of the popularity of the route and time of year?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: NYC-MIA advice
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
MIA in August :P

Stick with LAX IMHO and leave the humidity behind in NYC and MIA.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

+1, but if miami it is then avios is the way to go
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »

Wasn't chosen as a vacation spot, my brother in law lives in North Miami Beach.

I first started looking months ago and there hasn't been any availability at all.
ETA: Especially since it has to be MilesAAver, economy, and non-stop in order to be worthwhile.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
Related question. Does the 'book the aisle and the window and hope the middle is empty' trick have any chance on this route/time of year? This will be our first time traveling with our son and I'd love not to have to hold him the whole time. Or maybe since we have silver medallion, we'd be better off booking preferred seating and then finding out if there are any empty seats and trying to trade with the people next to the empty seat?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:13:32 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »
Related question. Does the 'book the aisle and the window and hope the middle is empty' trick have any chance on this route/time of year? This will be our first time traveling with our son and I'd love not to have to hold him the whole time.

There's no disadvantage to trying it. No one on DDF can guarantee it won't work (or will for that matter) during this/that time of year.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
There's no disadvantage to trying it. No one on DDF can guarantee it won't work (or will for that matter) during this/that time of year.

I was looking at a 3-2 setup, in which case I'd want to book the 2 if I thought the trick had no shot. Either way I'm just trying to get a feel for what all the experts on DDF think of my chances, not a guarantee.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »
I was looking at a 3-2 setup, in which case I'd want to book the 2 if I thought the trick had no shot. Either way I'm just trying to get a feel for what all the experts on DDF think of my chances, not a guarantee.

As you mentioned, there's a risk because it's a 3-2 setup. If you decide to take that risk, I'd suggest picking an Aisle and Window near the back of the plane, if available. Also, to the extent you have a choice, pick a plane which shows less occupancy (obviously).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
I first started looking months ago and there hasn't been any availability at all.
ETA: Especially since it has to be MilesAAver, economy, and non-stop in order to be worthwhile.
Look from PHL if you're open to that option.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
NYC-LAX has better availability than NYC-MIA AFAIK, though it costs 10K more Avios.

Offline DrDanny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
+ 1

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
Or look for something like NYC-CLE-MIA, though that will make the cost higher.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
Did u check LGA/JFK/PHL into PBI/MIA? Consider flying into MCO/FMY

Did u check kayak with airports nearby?

There's always Amtrak :P
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 03:43:10 PM »
trick worked for me once going to Mia after succos. I've gone in August and tickets where a lot cheaper than 400$ maybe try flying into ft lauderdale

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »
I took a quick look, and the award availability/prices aren't really any better. Either way, I'd have to be saving a bundle to be worth the hassle (not to mention 2.5 hours of driving + gas and tolls).

Or look for something like NYC-CLE-MIA, though that will make the cost higher.
Yup, looks like 24k per ticket RT. That's at least around $350 with a stopover.

Did u check LGA/JFK/PHL into PBI/MIA? Consider flying into MCO/FMY

Did u check kayak with airports nearby?

There's always Amtrak :P
I started with JFK/LGA - MIA/FLL. Eventually I looked at EWR and HPN too, but the only one that had any impact on prices was PBI, which adds a ton of direct flights to/from LGA and JFK. Ultimately I couldn't find anything with PBI that worked for us and saved us enough money to be worth the hassle. MCO, FMY, and PHY and others are all well over 2 hours away from where I am/need to be.

Anyway, I ended up finding the flights we wanted, albeit a slightly shorter trip (cutting off the second Shabbos and saving one vacation day at work) for $250 a pop, and it's nonstop between our preferred airports (LGA-FLL). The $400 I wrote in the OP doesn't really make sense (maybe I was thinking $400 total, that would be a pipe dream), but $250 isn't terrible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
I took a quick look, and the award availability/prices aren't really any better. Either way, I'd have to be saving a bundle to be worth the hassle (not to mention 2.5 hours of driving + gas and tolls).
Yup, looks like 24k per ticket RT. That's at least around $350 with a stopover.
You must be joking!

Attached is NYC-MIA and  PHL-MIA nonstop saver coach availability.

And I don't know of anyone that values BA at more than 1.1, thus 24K would be $264.  Valuing BA at 1.5 as you suggest would be valuing MR at 2.25 during the recent promotion and it never got anywhere near that.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
You must be joking!

Attached is NYC-MIA and  PHL-MIA nonstop saver coach availability.

And I don't know of anyone that values BA at more than 1.1, thus 24K would be $264.  Valuing BA at 1.5 as you suggest would be valuing MR at 2.25 during the recent promotion and it never got anywhere near that.

It's not the way there that's the problem, it's the way back. There's nothing from 8/25-9/3, and my return would have had to be in there somewhere. That's beside the point though, because it's nearly $100 in gas and tolls [ETA: I forgot about parking too, though I wouldn't be surprised if you had a trick up your sleeve for that], not to mention an extra 2.5 hours of driving.

The 1.5 was based on the fact that I'd have to be converting UR points, which I've actually been offered 1.7 for.

Bottom line, PHL was not an enticing option at all. I definitely appreciate the suggestion though, and I can see why it might be a good idea for some people in certain situations.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:46:42 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »
You said in the OP paid tickets were $400 (x at least 2 presumably?).
You said in the OP you had Avios.

It's hard to help those that don't give the full real facts...

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
You said in the OP paid tickets were $400 (x at least 2 presumably?).
You said in the OP you had Avios.

It's hard to help those that don't give the full real facts...

Yes, I apologize for the mistake in the OP. As I mentioned later, $400 was a mistake, it made no sense. If it was $400 for both tickets (which I know I couldn't find anything close to) that would be a steal. And if it were $400 per ticket, indeed all of the suggestions were probably worthwhile as they would save a boatload. Thinking back on it, the exact ideal flights I'd been tracking for a while had risen to $300 per ticket, and I probably meant to type $300.

As far as the Avios, I hadn't thought through the difference between having the points in UR or Avios, and obviously it's significant. You make it sound like I'm deliberately obfuscating the details. It takes time and experience to learn what to ask, just as it does to learn what to do.

Either way, I appreciate the input. The tips in this thread (most of which could probably have been spotted elsewhere in the forums by a more capable search operator than I), including trying PHL and checking if a stopover with Avios is still cheaper than the cash price, will still be here for others. Thank you for your help, and next time I'll have to be more on top of the details when I ask a question.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 11:48:41 PM »
No worries, I guess there really is a learning curve to even asking questions on DDF!