Topic Wiki

I created an account to say this

I am a survivor of abuse

I tried to type up a longer, more detailed post but it got too hard. The bottom line is the following

There's no such thing as universal feelings, reactions, desires, needs that all victims share. Each one is an individual who suffered alone and carries the unique scars that stay with them and each one will react to future situations in life in their own way.

Therefore, there is no single response to abuse that will leave all victims feeling safe, secure, validated, supported, closure and everything else all the well meaning people here want to give them.

However, I think there is a single response that would leave all victims feeling further pain and trauma and that is "It can't be."

Rabbi Shimon Russell - How to Safeguard and Protect our Children

https://youtu.be/fefqSvXf0JI

« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 12, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

Author Topic: Chaim Walder dies  (Read 128778 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Chaim Walder dies
« Reply #840 on: January 03, 2022, 09:26:17 PM »
It can start that they shouldn't call the abuser a tzadik

+100000

That seemed to have hit several raw nerves with survivors.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline randomjay

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 03, 2022, 09:31:09 PM »
It can start that they shouldn't call the abuser a tzadik

So you’re saying that all he wants is that when such a story breaks once in a few years (which I agree is way too often) there shouldn’t be people questing the story and call him a Tzadik. That doesn’t seem to be his point at all if you listened to all his videos.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #842 on: January 03, 2022, 09:40:39 PM »
Believe.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #843 on: January 03, 2022, 09:43:02 PM »
So you’re saying that all he wants is that when such a story breaks once in a few years (which I agree is way too often) there shouldn’t be people questing the story and call him a Tzadik. That doesn’t seem to be his point at all if you listened to all his videos.
I dud not watch the videos but if they wouldn't be called tzadikim and the victims Wrigley be called vicious liars they it would make victims much more comfortable discussing it.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #844 on: January 03, 2022, 09:48:14 PM »
OTOH, they put up people who were abusers and were subsequently removed from teaching positions and the like, which definitely was a great outcome.

The two people I know (and sometimes meet, hence my question) are there. As I mentioned, one served time in jail and another was convicted and is free pending appeal.
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #845 on: January 03, 2022, 09:59:22 PM »
The two people I know (and sometimes meet, hence my question) are there. As I mentioned, one served time in jail and another was convicted and is free pending appeal.

It's a tough question. Obviously we keep our children safe, first and foremost by ensuring they aren't just not alone with them, but aren't out in the position to build a trusting relationship. But beyond that, it's tough. I know one who is in some ways persona non grata in his own home. Do his children never let their kids hang out with Zaidy? It's tremendously sad.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 03, 2022, 10:05:27 PM »
It's a tough question. Obviously we keep our children safe, first and foremost by ensuring they aren't just not alone with them, but aren't out in the position to build a trusting relationship. But beyond that, it's tough. I know one who is in some ways persona non grata in his own home. Do his children never let their kids hang out with Zaidy? It's tremendously sad.

Yup. These people ruin many lives and relationships.

Another question: do you (people on this thread) view people who had a single case/accuser (sometimes when they were adolescents themselves) differently than those who have multiple people coming forth as victims?

-- Dan

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 03, 2022, 10:17:17 PM »

Another question: do you (people on this thread) view people who had a single case/accuser (sometimes when they were adolescents themselves) differently than those who have multiple people coming forth as victims?

I certainly think the details of the case have major bearing on the appropriate reaction, especially with regards to teshuva/re-acceptance into society.

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 03, 2022, 10:20:19 PM »

According to R' Shimon Russel (video posted up thread) - most of the abuse victims he sees weren't abused by serial pedophiles. 

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #849 on: January 03, 2022, 10:20:28 PM »
A prominent psychologist told a relative of mine that adolescent abusers who seek help early rarely become adult abusers. I would probably view a single act perpetrated by an adolescent as different (although the victim likely would not!) from the perspective of how to view the abuser.

Each case is different and there are shades of gray but it’s vital to remember that more often than not the victim(s) will still suffer for the rest of their life, no matter the circumstances.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 03, 2022, 10:25:39 PM »

Cases where there is only a single case / accuser -- can be false claim. Now the case against CW, there was testimony of 22 victims, and being that those victims do not know each other made the case extremely credible. Plus, who knows how many victims are there who chose not to testify.

However, in single case/accuser, the accused can be completely innocent, but many choose to go for plea agreements that involve no prison sentence  - they plead guilty to a lesser charge, like misdemeanor  - endangering the welfare of a child. Trials costs hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees, and one can still have a risk of being found guilty by the jury - leading to dozens of years in prison - which can mean life imprisonment for certain people.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 03, 2022, 10:27:12 PM »
Cases where there is only a single case / accuser -- can be false claim.
Or very real.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #852 on: January 03, 2022, 10:28:50 PM »
Or very real.
True but you need to proceed with extreme cation.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 03, 2022, 10:47:39 PM »
According to R' Shimon Russel (video posted up thread) - most of the abuse victims he sees weren't abused by serial pedophiles. 

That could be because the serial ones are more successful at covering their tracks, so their victims are less likely to seek treatment.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Flatbush

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 04, 2022, 01:24:55 AM »

Would someone be able to translate the gist of what the Feldheim guy was saying?
Thank you

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 04, 2022, 02:37:27 AM »

So in those cases, how is a single case different from other single case grave transgressions, such as bullying, violence, or various types of mental/emotional abuse etc.?
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 04, 2022, 02:47:46 AM »
A prominent psychologist told a relative of mine that adolescent abusers who seek help early rarely become adult abusers. I would probably view a single act perpetrated by an adolescent as different (although the victim likely would not!) from the perspective of how to view the abuser.

Each case is different and there are shades of gray but it’s vital to remember that more often than not the victim(s) will still suffer for the rest of their life, no matter the circumstances.

I am thinking of someone I know who was accused of abuse when he was a counselor in an overnight camp. I never looked too much into the details, but if I was to assume that the accuser was saying the absolute truth, I can still find a way to make said abuser forgivable, given his age at the time (which is probably involved with various hormonal, emotional and other developmental challenges). I don't know where the case ended up going. I believe he was initially arrested when the allegations were brought forth, and the situation definitely affected his life. But AFAIK he wasn't convicted of anything (IDK if it was a plea bargain or something else).
-- Dan

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 04, 2022, 04:14:05 AM »
Just a thought.
Is it possible that blowing this particular story up may be causing additional collateral damage to the victims?
If this wasn't blown up publicly, the women could go or be brought to BD and get their get (lehalacha) and not be permanently publicly stained with the info that the divorce was because they are asur to their husband, rather their reputation would be protected under the general "sometime marriages don't work out"... (and have a chance at a normal remarriage)
Additionally, if any women is named publicly, her children may be permanently stained as safek mamzeirim... (which may be the case none the less AYLOR, but why should they have to live their lives knowing that this is public knowledge?). Even if there is a universaly accepted psak that the children are not safek mamzeirim, why should her children know that their mother was Over one of the Gimel Chamuros (no matter whether it was ones or beratzon), and why should she have to live her entire life knowing that her children know?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 05:50:34 AM by yfr bachur »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 04, 2022, 07:19:20 AM »
Just a thought.
Is it possible that blowing this particular story up may be causing additional collateral damage to the victims?
If this wasn't blown up publicly, the women could go or be brought to BD and get their get (lehalacha) and not be permanently publicly stained with the info that the divorce was because they are asur to their husband, rather their reputation would be protected under the general "sometime marriages don't work out"... (and have a chance at a normal remarriage)
Additionally, if any women is named publicly, her children may be permanently stained as safek mamzeirim... (which may be the case none the less AYLOR, but why should they have to live their lives knowing that this is public knowledge?). Even if there is a universaly accepted psak that the children are not safek mamzeirim, why should her children know that their mother was Over one of the Gimel Chamuros (no matter whether it was ones or beratzon), and why should she have to live her entire life knowing that her children know?

Which is why this entire thread is full of “believe/support the survivors”, but no-one posted a list with their names and pictures (even though there were multiple responses here downplaying the extent of the allegations).

If we as a society didn’t stigmatize the survivors (and stick our nose way to deep into other peoples business for unhealthy reasons) in the first place, your entire concern would be a non-starter.

Your entire argument posits a reality that doesn’t at all have to play out, even if this story does blow over like it did.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 04, 2022, 07:54:43 AM »
That could be because the serial ones are more successful at covering their tracks, so their victims are less likely to seek treatment.
I don't think the victim themselves usually seek treatment, it's the parents who notice something is wrong and send them to a professional who uncovers the root of their troubles.  A professional (like Rabbi Russell) should be able to uncover it either way.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.