Author Topic: Have You Experienced Anti-Semitism? Share Your Story  (Read 13134 times)

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Have You Experienced Anti-Semitism? Share Your Story
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2022, 09:15:54 AM »
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2022, 10:11:22 AM »
Am I the only one with no standout stories? I never have stories to tell, by me everything is a noner....

In all likelihood you have stories, you just don't think of them as "stories". As JJ said, that's a *good* thing. We shouldn't obsess about every negative thing that happens. Assuming you're visibly Jewish, the chances you've never encountered anyone on the Subway or in the park who scowled something about you as a Jew is as close to zero as can be.

And similar to what YitzyS was saying, even if you've personally never experienced someone cursing or spitting at you, you've likely experienced forms of systemic antisemitism. If you live in Brooklyn, the microcluster strategy was massively antisemitic, for instance. 

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2022, 10:18:25 AM »
(Anyone trying to get their kids into school in Lakewood experienced it )

Offline Moshe Green

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »
I don't think it's fair to equate Anti Chareidism with Anti Semitism

I think its very fair. Anti Semitism as we understand it (correct me if you understand differently) is prejudice towards a Jew for the mere fact that he is Jewish. That being said, if someone hates my guts because i'm trying to live like a Jew should and has been living since the Torah was given, does that not qualify it as Anti Semitism. The fact that it's self-hating Jews who, unfortunately, don't see the beauty and value of a Torah life does not give them a right to bash us for the reason other than we are practicing Jews.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2022, 03:59:58 PM »
I think its very fair. Anti Semitism as we understand it (correct me if you understand differently) is prejudice towards a Jew for the mere fact that he is Jewish. That being said, if someone hates my guts because i'm trying to live like a Jew should and has been living since the Torah was given, does that not qualify it as Anti Semitism. The fact that it's self-hating Jews who, unfortunately, don't see the beauty and value of a Torah life does not give them a right to bash us for the reason other than we are practicing Jews.
So when a Chusid gets upset at a Litvak for being too Machmir on something and says a derogatory remark (or vice versa, or any 2 Jewish sects), is that antisemitism as well?
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2022, 04:09:19 PM »
So when a Chusid gets upset at a Litvak for being too Machmir on something and says a derogatory remark (or vice versa, or any 2 Jewish sects), is that antisemitism as well?

That's a good question. While I do see in these posts that many here do consider racial slurs and other such actions Anti Semitism, its hard to draw that out to someone saying just a derogatory remark to be considered so as well.
In addition, the Chasid is not doing it because the Litvak is being a good Jew, he's doing it because he thinks the Litvak is being a bad Jew. Thus the remark is not coming from Anti Semitism but because of Pro Semitism,(i don't know if that term exists, but if it doesn't i trademark it),  i.e. not Jewish enough.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2022, 04:17:39 PM »

I would suggest, that if this is anti-semitism, it’s probably fair to suggest that the way the Charedi community treats the Chiloni community is anti-semitism as well. I.e. You hate someone’s guts for the mere fact that they are Jewish but chose not to follow the Torah, in Israel.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2022, 04:23:51 PM »
I would suggest, that if this is anti-semitism, it’s probably fair to suggest that the way the Charedi community treats the Chiloni community is anti-semitism as well. I.e. You hate someone’s guts for the mere fact that they are Jewish but chose not to follow the Torah, in Israel.
Hot take.

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2022, 04:27:54 PM »
How many chareidim actually HATE chilonim simply for the fact that they are not observant?  I hate many of the policies of chiloni politicians, but the people themselves? 

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2022, 04:33:40 PM »
How many chareidim actually HATE chilonim simply for the fact that they are not observant?  I hate many of the policies of chiloni politicians, but the people themselves?

Tell that to the Chiloni who moves into an entirely charedi neighborhood.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »
This sounds like "my best friend is black".

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2022, 05:31:49 PM »
There are way too many incidents to recall or even worth remembering, but here are some of them:

-Our school bus windows were egged (frozen) nearly every Halloween when growing up.
-Riding alone to camp a guy yelled at me something about Nazis.
-Guy spit towards me while walking on the street while cursing out Jews.
-Random people yelling something about Hitler or F the Jews in various instances that are too many to recall.
-Cars have intentionally swerved at while walking at the edge off the street at least 2-3 times
-A friends father walked me home and was shot a few times in the back with metal BB pellets
-In high school, while playing basketball in the park we were attacked by a group of blacks

-DW was thrown out of Target store when a customer started ranting and raving to an employee claiming she wasn’t wearing a mask (she was wearing it properly, at all times). Called up Target store managers and was basically ignored. I filed a police report, police claim they were sent video but I gave up after getting nowhere and chasing everyone to get some accountability.

-JetBlue threatened to throw us off the plane while my 2 year old was eating bec. he wasn’t wearing a mask. People right near us were eating as well but that was ignored.

-I was on the plane during the Spirit incident where they threw off an autistic child for not wearing a mask, a few passengers were cursing Jews in front of us.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2022, 12:42:48 AM »
This sounds like "my best friend is black".

No, more like my best friend is a politician

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2022, 04:52:51 AM »

First of all, i dont know any frum Jew who hates a non-frum jew because he doesnt follow the Torah. Please let me know if you can find someone like that.
Secondly, if there was 1 or 2 people that did hate someone for that reason, as you yourself note, its not because they are Jewish but because they aren't following the Torah. If that fellow would start following the Torah then the supposed hate would dissipate. This is contrary to Anti Semitism where even converting to another religion rarely removes the hate.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2022, 04:55:39 AM »
There are way too many incidents to recall or even worth remembering, but here are some of them:

-Our school bus windows were egged (frozen) nearly every Halloween when growing up.
-Riding alone to camp a guy yelled at me something about Nazis.
-Guy spit towards me while walking on the street while cursing out Jews.
-Random people yelling something about Hitler or F the Jews in various instances that are too many to recall.
-Cars have intentionally swerved at while walking at the edge off the street at least 2-3 times
-A friends father walked me home and was shot a few times in the back with metal BB pellets
-In high school, while playing basketball in the park we were attacked by a group of blacks

-DW was thrown out of Target store when a customer started ranting and raving to an employee claiming she wasn’t wearing a mask (she was wearing it properly, at all times). Called up Target store managers and was basically ignored. I filed a police report, police claim they were sent video but I gave up after getting nowhere and chasing everyone to get some accountability.

-JetBlue threatened to throw us off the plane while my 2 year old was eating bec. he wasn’t wearing a mask. People right near us were eating as well but that was ignored.

-I was on the plane during the Spirit incident where they threw off an autistic child for not wearing a mask, a few passengers were cursing Jews in front of us.

WOW, where did/do you live? Nazi Germany?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2022, 06:27:15 AM »
First of all, i dont know any frum Jew who hates a non-frum jew because he doesnt follow the Torah. Please let me know if you can find someone like that.
Secondly, if there was 1 or 2 people that did hate someone for that reason, as you yourself note, its not because they are Jewish but because they aren't following the Torah. If that fellow would start following the Torah then the supposed hate would dissipate. This is contrary to Anti Semitism where even converting to another religion rarely removes the hate.
What about a chareidi who CV becomes chiloni?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2022, 07:03:55 AM »
What about a chareidi who CV becomes chiloni?

rachmanus, not hate.  I may choose to avoid socializing with him for various reasons, but not from hate.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2022, 08:10:37 AM »
rachmanus, not hate.  I may choose to avoid socializing with him for various reasons, but not from hate.
I don't think you understood what I was asking. He wrote that since becoming from would end any animosity a chareidi has for a chiloni it is not anti semitism but the opposite is. By this reasoning, since a chareidi can become a chiloni and end that animosity this to would not be antisemitism
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2022, 08:23:35 AM »
I don't think you understood what I was asking. He wrote that since becoming from would end any animosity a chareidi has for a chiloni it is not anti semitism but the opposite is. By this reasoning, since a chareidi can become a chiloni and end that animosity this to would not be antisemitism

I did not say that being able to end the hate makes it not Anti Semitic. I said that a hypothetical Chareidi person who hates a non-frum person because he's not Frum is not anti Semitism beause he hates him for his actions and would not hate him anymore if he did Teshuva. Many secular Israeli's , on the other hand, hate the Frum because they are being more Jewish. That is Anti Semitism. If the person goes off Ch"V, and the hate goes away, that doesn't mean the hate before wasn't anti Semitism. That's like saying, "If a black person gets his skin color changed, then i won't look down on him". Of course that's still racism.