Author Topic: Chase Sapphire rental car claim  (Read 1006 times)

Online jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Chase Sapphire rental car claim
« on: January 28, 2024, 06:18:38 PM »
Any recent data points? We rented a car (Lakewood) with the sapphire preferred and rear ended someone with no damage to the other vehicle but some  front damage to mine which I’m sure will rack up a nice bill with the rental company.

I’m not sure if I should be filing with my auto insurance company and have Chase pay the $1000 deductible to be safe or go with Chase as primary and hope they pay out so I don’t have to file a claim with my own insurance? Is there a risk chase doesn’t pay up annd insurance won’t cover for not filing a timely claim with them? Any recent data points with the chase claims process and time to payout appreciated. Thanks.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Sapphire rental car claim
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 09:17:09 PM »
Any recent data points? We rented a car (Lakewood) with the sapphire preferred and rear ended someone with no damage to the other vehicle but some  front damage to mine which I’m sure will rack up a nice bill with the rental company.

I’m not sure if I should be filing with my auto insurance company and have Chase pay the $1000 deductible to be safe or go with Chase as primary and hope they pay out so I don’t have to file a claim with my own insurance? Is there a risk chase doesn’t pay up annd insurance won’t cover for not filing a timely claim with them? Any recent data points with the chase claims process and time to payout appreciated. Thanks.
I don't see any reason you shouldn't go with Chase first in order to have them pay the whole thing and not having your insurance go up.

Online jye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 09:57:49 PM »
I don't see any reason you shouldn't go with Chase first in order to have them pay the whole thing and not having your insurance go up.
Agreed. If the other driver doesn’t make a claim it definitively makes sense. I spoke to my insurance agent who says I can file an auto claim up to two years after the incident though he doesn’t recommend it, so here goes. It’s a bit nerve wracking to lay out thousands of dollars up front but it definitely makes the most sense.

I’ve seen an infinite number of DDF posts about using the chase Sapphire card for primary coverage on rentals, so I was sure I would see lots of reports about the claims process  but a search on DDF didn’t turn up anything about  actually using the benefit so I’ll try to update as I go through the process.

A family member rented a car from a local Lakewood rental company with the Chase Sapphire preferred and declined rental insurance. He rear ended a car with minimal to no damage to that car but some relatively minor damage to the rental- a cracked grill and maybe a damaged sensor behind the grill from what I can tell.

We got an initial police report and took photos of the damage. Took the car back to the rental the next day and encountered a very rude, stressed out, and belligerent guy behind the counter. Haven’t experienced that type of service or lack thereof since a certain Lakewood auto repair shop I used (two decades back before I decided that I was entitled to take my business to a place that doesn’t abuse its customers) that had a similar attitude about customer service.

Barely gave us the time of day. He tried to insist that we go through our auto insurance.  “We don’t deal with credit cards”. “You want to go through your auto insurance”. Mentioned something about his rental place using different auto shops for insurance than for non insurance repairs.

Then he told us that if we want to try to go through our credit card it’s our business but it’s definitely going to be 5k at least and we have to pay up front if we want to try to go through our credit card. He handed us a form letter that stated we were acknowledging that we don’t have any auto insurance coverage (we do) and insisted submitting it was the only way to get reimbursement from the credit card. What?

I pointed out that the rental agreement says $3000 deposit for damages with balance due in 180 days so he begrudgingly acceded to that. When I asked for a copy of the final rental agreement he told us he has no time to explain anything, talk to us or give us any paperwork we need in person but we could email him.  We emailed him later and he did eventually send the final rental agreement. 

We opened a claim online on the chase eclaims website which has a list of documents needed and uploaded all of the documents that we have so far- the initial rental agreement, the final rental agreements, photos, our auto insurance declaration page, etc. We are still waiting on the police report, copy of the next credit card bill listing the rental charge  and and itemized repair summary. We will submit those when they come in. According to the claim website, an agent is supposed to review the docs within 5 business days. Hoping that we get reimbursed before the $3000 damage deposit comes due on the next statement.

Will update as things progress.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:51:58 PM by jye »

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 10:28:59 PM »
My FM used it. Only issue was that he never got a copy of his police report so Chase didn't cover.

Online jye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 01:08:08 AM »
I have to say the car rental agency has been responding promptly to my emails and supplying the necessary documents. Chase asked for a damage repair estimate and a demand letter from the car rental agency. Both were promptly emailed to me and I uploaded them to chase. It will take several business days for chase to review the last two documents. Once the next billing statement is generated I need to upload a pdf showing the rental charge and that should be everything from my end.

The car rental agency managed to get an estimate of over 10k for what is basically a cracked grill and maybe a damaged sensor behind it! Someone is probably going to make a lot of money off of this.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 09:05:14 AM »
I have to say the car rental agency has been responding promptly to my emails and supplying the necessary documents. Chase asked for a damage repair estimate and a demand letter from the car rental agency. Both were promptly emailed to me and I uploaded them to chase. It will take several business days for chase to review the last two documents. Once the next billing statement is generated I need to upload a pdf showing the rental charge and that should be everything from my end.

The car rental agency managed to get an estimate of over 10k for what is basically a cracked grill and maybe a damaged sensor behind it! Someone is probably going to make a lot of money off of this.
Crazy. I wonder if Chase will negotiate that down. The real insurance companies do.

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 01:58:34 AM »
Code: (chase.com) [Select]
Where coverage is limited

Chase Sapphire Preferred provides coverage up to the actual cash value of the vehicle but excludes certain expensive and exotic vehicles. Chase Sapphire Reserve provides rental car coverage up to $75,000 and does not exclude expensive/exotic vehicles.

Am I understanding correctly that for rentals of large SUVs (e.g. Chevy Suburban) CSP will cover it even if MSRP is above $75k?
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Online TzviR

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • [b]Learn to play for a kumzits in 5 weeks!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:01:58 AM »
@jye you left us hanging

My  prizes from CV :)

Online jye

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:16:28 AM »
@jye you left us hanging
Thats because Chase (eclaims) has left me hanging. They have been stringing me along occasionally asking for additional docs such as the police report, and giving conflicting info when I call. Probably spent over 10-15 hours between procuring docs, email, and phone calls altogether.

Around a month and a half ago they claimed they were almost finalized, then said that they needed to wait for an insurance investigator to verify the claim. They kept giving vague answers about when said investigator would be assigned and reach out.

On the last day of yom tov the investigator left his card on my door and we reached out to him on Isru Chag and basically just recanted how the accident happened and also confirmed my primary auto insurance status (not sure why, sapphire is primary). I’m going to give them a few weeks to see if they finalize.

Horror stories seem to abound on Reddit and other online forums about eclaims dragging things out indefinitely, stonewalling, and other tactics. BBB appears to have had some limited success. If I don’t hear back from them in the next few weeks BBB, NJ dept of Banking and Insurance, and CFPB will probably be the next steps. Depending on how it goes I’ll probably update with a PSA about relying on cards with primary rental collision coverage when the saga is over.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:17:35 AM »
Chase paid out on a claim in Israel for me 2 years ago. Took a while though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jye

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:23:23 AM »
Chase paid out on a claim in Israel for me 2 years ago. Took a while though.
Seems like you were lucky. These posts seem to be pretty typical of what you go through with eclaims.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k14400829-o10-Chase_travel_insurance_eclaimsline_Allianz_is_unreliable-Bargain_Travel.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/comments/10autb4/chase_eclaimsline_is_a_scam/

One of their specialties appears to be an endless loop where they keep requesting the same docs you already submitted.

Meanwhile I have the 3000 damage deposit I had to front on my card so it’s annoying, and it is several months they’ve been dragging it out, but I do have 365 days to file with my auto insurance if need be, so let’s see.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:31:35 AM by jye »