Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1712799 times)

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Chase credit cards closed
« Reply #3060 on: September 23, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
Sorry to hear. Wrong thread though.
Post in the Chase AA thread.
Actually, he should READ the Chase A/A thread first, and then post if necessary :)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: September 23, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »
All of my chase cards where closed. I got a letter with the explanation of "spending activity not as expected" or something along those lines. Is there any way back from this? I had about 125k points with one of those cards. Can I get those back?
Any advice?
This is a gotten ridiculous lately.... every week a new KURBEN.... getting the exact same letter from Chase that spending not as expected... anyone with any idea what this may be? the scary part is that this A/A'd members claim they have NO idea what Chase want from them.....
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline frozy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #3062 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Just called to activate new card and was told my account is under review and I'd receive a call within 24 hours - should i worry?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3063 on: September 23, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »
All of my chase cards where closed. I got a letter with the explanation of "spending activity not as expected" or something along those lines. Is there any way back from this? I had about 125k points with one of those cards. Can I get those back?
Any advice?

What did you do?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: September 23, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »

Just called to activate new card and was told my account is under review and I'd receive a call within 24 hours - should i worry?
Never heard that before..
Did they activate it?
Any recent transfers?

Offline emptyhouse

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: September 23, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
What did you do?

I am working on it. I have around 8k balance on my accounts so I hope to use that as leverage to get the accounts reopen.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3066 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »
What did you do BAD? :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: September 23, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »
Make a donation to kupat hair and then call the executive offices. You think im kidding im not. I made a 36 dollar donation and called and althgough i had to plead with them and consent to a few credit checks i was able to reinstate 2/4 cards as well as remove the 2 closed cards retroactively from my credit report. When i applied for a ba card 8 months afterwards i got instant approval. So daven, give tzedaka and call the exec's!

Offline frozy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: September 24, 2013, 01:39:21 AM »
Never transferred a point in my life.  froze experian and applied for biz southwest, made me unfreeze or give pin, gave pin.  I was declined.  So i unfreeze, got both sw personals, both instantly approved.  Also just changed my address...

Offline CtownBin

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Chase closed all of our accounts
« Reply #3069 on: September 24, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »
Hi all,

This is basically my first post on the forums, though I've been reading the forums and the main site for a while, as well as commenting on the main site (I'm also knows as "ANA Surcharges" there since I let Dan know when ANA stopped charging surcharges on United flights). I'm glad to start participating here too, though I wish my first post were under better circumstances...

So, Chase recently closed all of our accounts. I'm going to give as many details as seem relevant, since after reading through this thread it seems that there are a few possible reasons for this, and I'm hoping this can serve as another data point to help us all figure out what's going on at Chase. If some of the details are extraneous, I apologize in advance.

My wife and I moved to the U.S. 2 years ago. She is American, and had student loans under her name; I am not American and never lived here until 2 years ago. Which means, she had credit history here and a good score, whereas I had no history at all. All of "our" credit cards are therefore in her name, with her as the primary and with me as an authorized user, for now (except one with Fidelity who let us both be primary cardholders based on her credit score and her guaranteeing, which is allowing me to build a history; AFAIK neither Chase nor AMEX allow this).

In July 2012, we got out first card with Chase- a United Explorer (55k +$50). In November 2012, we did a 2BM for the Saphirre Preferred and Freedom (wanted to lock in the 10+10 Exclusives before it went away mid-November) and got approved for both via recon. After that, we held off on applying for a while- not just from Chase, but all cards. It wasn't until June 2013 that we applied again, this time a 2BM for the Ink Bold and Plus when they had the one-week special for 60k points. The Bold was approved before I even had the chance to call recon, but the Plus was not and I could not sway them on recon since they saw we also applied for the Bold at the same time and they said my business revenue only qualifies me for one card. Okay, no biggie- I was happy to just get the Bold. Sadly, we wouldn't have it for long because a couple of weeks ago I logged in online and see that they suddenly cancelled ALL of our credit card accounts. We even received a separate letter for each one, a few days later, as well as another letter from a different department that they were even closing my wife's checking account!! Curiously, the date on this letter was one week before they closed the credit cards, which means it seems they started with the checking first.

Now the question is, what in the world happened?? The letters only say something vague like "transactions not consistent with expected activity", and when I called in the number on the back of the card I was told there is no reason listed and they couldn't help. Even my personal banker at a branch had nothing, and when he tried to call in somewhere they told him that the accounts were closed by "compliance" and there is nothing else they can say. Unfortunately there is more than one possible trigger:

-The most obvious one is the Chase gift cards. Ever since April when they started being offered, I have purchased $2500 in them on each Chase card almost every month, including $5000 on the bold (one for each user as they are different card numbers) for the 2 months we had it. So that's 5 months of $2500 purchases each month on 3 cards, plus $5000 for 2 months on another card. But it seems that thousands are doing this without a problem, and I don't even see what could be wrong with it, it seems completely allowed.

-As for UR->United transfers to those other than me or my wife- I did a grand total of only 4 of these in the 10 months I had Chase cards: once in February 2013, once in May, and 2 in a day in August- any chance these last 2 triggered it?? But again, seems like there are tons of people doing these without any problems reported. I have NEVER done a UR-> UR transfer.

- In addition, I went over the "credit limit" on the Bold both months, although only by a mere $1000 or so. And of course I didn't know I did this until after the fact- how could I, it's a charge card after all and they don't tell you what the "unofficial" limit is! But I did later find out when a nice rep told me what the limit was. I also rang up $3k per month at gas stations for the 2 months we had the Bold. Besides that, we presented no credit risk whatsoever. We always paid off the entire balance each month in full and on time, and never used more than 50% of the credit limit on any card- and even that was only occasionally, usually it was 35% tops (except with the Bold at the end).

If anyone has any ideas as to what caused it, that would be great. Does anyone know have any ideas what to do next? I called the Chase Executive Office and was told someone with authority would call me back, but when she did and left a voicemail I got the sense that she was going to tell my nothing and keep the accounts closed. Do I try HUCA there and get someone else? What do I tell them? I see here that people have had success getting re-opened there- what did you say?? Apologize for whatever it was and promise not to do it again? My hunch is that it must have been something with the Bold card, as everything was closed so soon after we got it- though sadly they didn't just close that one. Any way we can convince them we are not a credit risk and it was only 2 months and we didn't even know the limit and we won't do it again? Another guess, based on the fact that it was "compliance," is that something in their system made them think we are criminal money launderers through the gift cards... do I just calmly explain to them that we are upstanding people with normal jobs on the books and this was all a mistake? Any ideas would be so, so, so much appreciated.

Also, as mentioned, I am an authorized user on all of my wife's cards, but only her checking account was shut down, and not mine. Does anyone know if I too will be blacklisted, or just her? Will I be able to open my own cards in my name later on, assuming my credit history has gotten to the point where I will be approved? Also, if there is a blacklist- how long can it be expected to last?  I don't really know how we are ultimately different than so many other similar Chase users, and this whole thing is really annoying- we have been loyal customers with Chase for 2 years and until now have had a great relationship with them and have been impressed with their customer service. Hopefully we can re-join the fold soon.

Either way, I think it's important to note that we are starting to see a lot of Chase shutdowns recently- Dan often says on the main site and the forums that there are only a few isolated reports of them but I think that is now starting to grow into a bit of a wave, and it would benefit everyone to try and figure out what's causing them.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Offline aj26

• View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 24, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »
That is a long post but welcome.
My hunch is its the gc that did it. Just a hunch

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: September 24, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
That is a long post but welcome.
My hunch is its the gc that did it. Just a hunch
+1.  I wanted to post this trigger in RED a while ago...... when I heard from some people that were A/A'd that the only think that maybe wrong with their account was buying large ammounts of Chase GC.
Staples GC IMO is not a problem they have no idea what you are buying there (I would not but to much there either... you have to use your head when playing this game...) VS Chase GC they are not sure when they see you got 20,000 dollars in GC in a few months. again you have to play this game safe.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: September 24, 2013, 09:58:48 AM »
+1.  I wanted to post this trigger in RED a while ago...... when I heard from some people that were A/A'd that the only think that maybe wrong with their account was buying large ammounts of Chase GC.
  Staples GC IMO is not a problem they have no idea what you are buying there   (I would not but to much there either... you have to use your head when playing this game...) VS Chase GC they are not sure when they see you got 20,000 dollars in GC in a few months. again you have to play this game safe.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #3073 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »
I actually read your whole post! and would suggest it probably has to do with the GC.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 24, 2013, 10:28:43 AM »
Is it just me or does everyone who gets an A/A has a chase checking account?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: September 24, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
GC is potentially the issue but there is only one thing in there that, to me, sticks out like a sore thumb...

...$3,000/mo at gas stations.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »
-100,000    ;)
Can you explain why buying $2,000 a month should be a problem... maybe I buy there battery's on sale and then selling them on Amazon???  I clear wrote that buying large amounts is never a good idea.
I dont think Chase is allience with Staples...
Hence I would agree that every day spending is aways a better ans safer idea.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #3077 on: September 24, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
Basically, quite a few red flags.
UR > United
Going over limit
Gift cards

There does seem to be a wave of closures.
Kudos for providing all the information in a single post, unlike others.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: September 24, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »
GC is potentially the issue but there is only one thing in there that, to me, sticks out like a sore thumb...

...$3,000/mo at gas stations.
Now reminding my self I once spoke to Chase executive dept. and they told me such kind of words 3k on gas a month.

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: September 24, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
Is it just me or does everyone who gets an A/A has a chase checking account?

I did not have a Chase bank account when I was AAd.