Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 410986 times)

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #900 on: November 02, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
Pathetic existence? Bitter much?
Not at all. Its not directed at him. Its a general statement about that type of person.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 02, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »
Pensions be good for frum peeps. Because your tuition committee can't take your pension, and by the time you're drawing on it its too late.

Make sure to max out your 401k or IRA before your kids hit school--that money is safe from the tuition vandals.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 02, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »
Pensions be good for frum peeps. Because your tuition committee can't take your pension, and by the time you're drawing on it its too late.

Make sure to max out your 401k or IRA before your kids hit school--that money is safe from the tuition vandals.
Pensions are a dyin. They vest later. Retirement age is pushed back. Not as lucrative as they used to be.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #903 on: November 02, 2015, 09:26:27 PM »
Pathetic existence? Bitter much?
+1 wow that was harsh.

Maybe some people just enjoy spending time with family.

I guess some people feel they are better when they put others down.

That said going to law school to work a $40k a year job seems a waste to me.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 02, 2015, 10:01:44 PM »
+1 wow that was harsh.

Maybe some people just enjoy spending time with family.

I guess some people feel they are better when they put others down.

That said going to law school to work a $40k a year job seems a waste to me.
+1
I could have gotten into a top flight law school and probably excelled in big law. Instead I chose to become a computer programmer and enjoy my 9:30-5:30 work day. Probably left millions on the table. I guess I live a pathetic existence?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 02, 2015, 10:04:52 PM »
Lets start with the premise that if youre making 110k your also getting benefits comparable to any govt job. So what savings are you talking about?
As for my neighbor, if you consider a more fulfilled life as one where you take your old lady carriage and go to the supermarket every other day for your small bottle of milk, wake up for the second minyan, do daf yomi in the evening instead of before shachris and spend the rest of your pathetic existence in your high 50s and 60s waiting for the Malach Hamaves then maybe a your million dollar skills are not wasted. Its not the money its the waste of skills and useful resources. There is a mentality amongst government employees...and certain elements of our community to get away with an easy life. Dont work too hard c'v. There is a price to pay for taking a govt job, thats all I'm saying.

My understanding is that government jobs generally have better benefits than do jobs in the private sector. Perhaps law is an exception, but otherwise I would object to  premise.

Further, if any existence is pathetic I would say that would apply to someone whose outlook is that his only value is via his work product, without which he is worthless. Do you plan on retiring ever? Will your existence then be pathetic? Or are you of the belief that retiring at 65, or 75, thus precludes you from being "pathetic," but retiring at 55 renders you undeniably so? Your argument also assumes that after retirement your neighbor doesn't use his skills. Perhaps he volunteers or makes use of his variety of skills via other means.

Also, what of stay at home mothers. Once their kids are independent, are they in your view all discarded to the "pathetic" pile? Or people who are not successful professionally. Also thrown to the pathetic bin?

Live and let live. I very much doubt your neighbor is judging you for the choices you make regarding your professional career.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #906 on: November 02, 2015, 10:18:15 PM »
+1
I could have gotten into a top flight law school and probably excelled in big law. Instead I chose to become a computer programmer and enjoy my 9:30-5:30 work day. Probably left millions on the table. I guess I live a pathetic existence?

<sigh>
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 02, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »
+1

pathetic. 

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 02, 2015, 10:44:16 PM »
Lets start with the premise that if youre making 110k your also getting benefits comparable to any govt job. So what savings are you talking about?
As for my neighbor, if you consider a more fulfilled life as one where you take your old lady carriage and go to the supermarket every other day for your small bottle of milk, wake up for the second minyan, do daf yomi in the evening instead of before shachris and spend the rest of your pathetic existence in your high 50s and 60s waiting for the Malach Hamaves then maybe a your million dollar skills are not wasted. Its not the money its the waste of skills and useful resources. There is a mentality amongst government employees...and certain elements of our community to get away with an easy life. Dont work too hard c'v. There is a price to pay for taking a govt job, thats all I'm saying.

Does working as a lawyer add any intrinsic value to anything or anyone??

Your neighbor could potentially learn Torah all day in his fifties and sixties. At least he'll have a few years to show for himself when the malach hamoves does come.

It's all about perspective.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »
Does working as a lawyer add any intrinsic value to anything or anyone??

I think so.  I'm enabling business transactions to move smoothly. 

Organized business transactions have vastly improved human life.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 02, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
I think so.  I'm enabling business transactions to move smoothly. 

Organized business transactions have vastly improved human life.
So lawyers improve human life.

(Sounds like a punch line )

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 02, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »
So lawyers improve human life.

(Sounds like a punch line )

People like to make fun. You want to go back to a barter economy?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #912 on: November 02, 2015, 11:36:46 PM »
I believe most professions improve human life.

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 02, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »
<sigh>
And an 18 minute commute to boot
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 03, 2015, 12:45:22 AM »
I was not saying it as a general statement. If you look at this guy his existence is pathetic. Its not family time he's busy with. It is a mentality of most local government employees. When a cop has a license plate that says 20ANDOUT...meaning he will put in his 20 years and then file for his pension its a mentality. Hes not a law enforcement hero. Hes a stiff making widgets until its time to atop making widgets. Government lawyers in NY for the most part (ADAs that become criminal defense attorneys are the exception) are widget making stiffs who put in their years and then retire without any drive or motivation to grow professionally. That is my definition of a pathetic existence.
Let the games begin...

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 03, 2015, 12:58:21 AM »
I was not saying it as a general statement. If you look at this guy his existence is pathetic. Its not family time he's busy with. It is a mentality of most local government employees. When a cop has a license plate that says 20ANDOUT...meaning he will put in his 20 years and then file for his pension its a mentality. Hes not a law enforcement hero. Hes a stiff making widgets until its time to atop making widgets. Government lawyers in NY for the most part (ADAs that become criminal defense attorneys are the exception) are widget making stiffs who put in their years and then retire without any drive or motivation to grow professionally. That is my definition of a pathetic existence.
Let the games begin...
there are government employees and there are government employees. The guy who works minimally, with no professional pride for 30 years in order to spend the rest of his life sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch reading the paper is arguably wasting 30 years with no real fulfilling goal.
The guy who works pushing paper for 30 years so that when he gets home at 6 pm he doesn't have to think about work at all, and can have dinner with his family and go learn, and when he is 55 he can go back to kollel, spend time with his kids etc with no parnassa worries has one of the most fulfilling existences known to man.
As one of those in the second category, who had recently retired from a NYC job told me (as he sat down in the bais medrash for first seder), for thirty years I could have been comatose at my desk and no one would have cared. But now I am so alive!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 03, 2015, 06:17:10 AM »
there are government employees and there are government employees. The guy who works minimally, with no professional pride for 30 years in order to spend the rest of his life sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch reading the paper is arguably wasting 30 years with no real fulfilling goal.
The guy who works pushing paper for 30 years so that when he gets home at 6 pm he doesn't have to think about work at all, and can have dinner with his family and go learn, and when he is 55 he can go back to kollel, spend time with his kids etc with no parnassa worries has one of the most fulfilling existences known to man.
As one of those in the second category, who had recently retired from a NYC job told me (as he sat down in the bais medrash for first seder), for thirty years I could have been comatose at my desk and no one would have cared. But now I am so alive!
Kol Hakavod.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 03, 2015, 06:20:28 AM »
I believe most professions improve human life.
Would that include the oldest profession?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 03, 2015, 07:09:44 AM »
Still at pathetic use of 30 years...

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 03, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »
Still at pathetic use of 30 years...
Thats a choice people make. Spend 30 years in a dead end job so that they have a pension and have to ration their retirement assets. They keep busy trying to figure out if they can afford a trip to here or a night out on the town. There is no (real) financial security in a government pension. It breeds frugality and deprivation.