Author Topic: FBI Sting Operation; Rabbis Arrested  (Read 171633 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: FBI Sting Operation; Rabbis Arrested
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
If only you understood how much an aguna suffers.

My heart has no mercy for any man that leaves his wife, just to cause her to suffer.
What makes you think I am not capable of understanding? You think I don’t know what a “bastard child” is? Pardon my ignorance but can’t Jewish law be changed to get rid of this “get”?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »
....their goal was not the kidnapping nor torture, they wanted a get.
So what anyone does to get to a righteous goal is OK?

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »
What makes you think I am not capable of understanding? You think I don’t know what a “bastard child” is? Pardon my ignorance but can’t Jewish law be changed to get rid of this “get”?

From this question alone it shows that you have no understanding about our culture. Don't even try to understand, it's too complicated for you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
From this question alone it shows that you have no understanding about our culture. Don't even try to understand, it's too complicated for you.
Condescending much?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
Condescending much?

Nope. Just saying that we are TOO complicated, and he won't understand us, and our culture. There are some things outsiders don't understand, it's not a lack of wisdom, it's just you need to live this culture.

And the same I'm afraid goes for the judge in the case, he didn't let these so called "thugs" out on bail because they are a danger for society. I would have my 3 year old girl sleep in their houses without skipping a beat for a minute. I'm sure many here agree on this.

Obviously, they did break the law, this is their only problem, otherwise they are "tzadikim gemurim".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:16:25 PM by sillypainter »

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
Nope. Just saying that we are TOO complicated, and he won't understand us, and our culture. There are some things outsiders don't understand, it's not a lack of wisdom, it's just you need to live this culture.
Do you think I need to live your culture to understand that women suffer from failed marriages? How about you try and live my culture were women get beaten every day and lose their lives from failed marriages? 

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »
Jewish law is god given so obviously it cant be changed.  ::) :)

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 13, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
People don't need to live in our culture to have an understanding of it. They don't have to be Jewish to have an understanding of it. I'd say anyone with a knowledge of what religious people live like (and not necessarily Jews) and what it's like to be a religious person could understand. He may not know all the details and laws but to say he can't understand? That's silly.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Condescending much?
+1
@CV-Jewish law doesn't work that way. It can't be changed. A get is a biblical requirement. It's not up for discussion.
(A man can marry two wives-that prohibition was much later, late 11th century and only for certain sects and is therefore much more negotiable)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Jewish law is god given so obviously it cant be changed.  ::) :)

Anyone Jewish knows that nothing is so black and white like that.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »
From this question alone it shows that you have no understanding about this issue. You probably shouldn't even try to understand, it's too time consuming for someone who doesn't live it.
FTFY
His point is that by asking that the get rules should be changed show a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues at hand. Until someone is willing to put in the time and effort to get this understanding he should not be stating opinions since they will be based upon ignorance. This is an issue which is not fully understood even by many, if not most, orthodox Jews. Hence the halacha that one should not be involved in marriage our divorce ruling unless he is an expert in their rules. That takes years. Wikipedia or google will not do it. Even a regular Yeshiva education won't, but they will realize how much they don't understand. A such, those without even that should probably not bother since they will not even know how much they don't know.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:43:21 PM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
The definition of what the law "is" is not B/W, but the fact that the "Law" can't change is clearly black and white.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
FTFY
His point is that by asking that the get rules should be changed show a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues at hand. Until someone is willing to put in the time and effort to get this understanding he should not be starting opinions since they will be based upon ignorance. This is an issue which is not fully understood even by many, if not most, orthodox Jews. Hence the halacha that one should not be involved in marriage our divorce ruling unless he is an expert in their rules. That takes years. Wikipedia or google will not do it. Even a regular Yeshiva auction won't, but they will realize how much they don't understand. A such, those without even that should probably not bother since they will not even know how much they don't know.
+1

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

+1. Reminds me of the Kedushei Ktanah issue which RMF was able to resolve.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 13, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »
Do you think I need to live your culture to understand that women suffer from failed marriages? How about you try and live my culture were women get beaten every day and lose their lives from failed marriages? 
No, you don't need to live our culture to understand that women suffer from failed marriages, but equating an agunah with an abusive civil marriage shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues at hand.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »
No, you don't need to live our culture to understand that women suffer from failed marriages, but equating an agunah with an abusive civil marriage shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues at hand.
To be clear:
I'm not talking about the "suffering" aspect of it, rather the resolution, which is, I believe, what we're discussing here.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
And your comment shows a lack of understanding of women's plight and inability to leave an abusive situation
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »
And your comment shows a lack of understanding of women's plight and inability to leave an abusive situation
I disagree. Even after the "regular" abusive situation is finally resolved the get issue can live on for years. The former is generally resolved if the husband and wife are now in different parts of the world and have no contract with each other. The get issue only gets more complicated with distance.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »
To expand on the point I made before but couldn't elaborate then; not always does going against the law-bad. We are fortunate enough to live in a moral ethical society, and most issues can be solved satisfactorily through legal means. Not always was that the case (case in point: Soviet Russia). The issue of Agunot is a tough one, and unlike abusive marriages the courts in America won't get involved due to separation of church and state issues (in Israel for example, it is considered a human rights issue, and the courts go all out to solve such cases).

Of course not everyone can just "take the law in to their own hands", and the debate here is only whether these Rabbis were the right ones for this job. In the core issue here, whether "the end justifies the means" here, I think the Jewish world is unanimous.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »

In case you didn't see my last post before you posted this, I'm talking about the fundamental differences in how the issues are resolved, not how difficult it is for the woman.
(I should know by now that everything needs to spelled out here...)

US law provides a way out for a woman in an abusive relationship. The difficulty for the woman in actually doing it is another story, but the system is in place. If she gets her head in the right place, and/or has the support she needs from friends/family, as difficult as it may be, it can be done. Ultimately it's in her hands to do something.

A woman whose husband absolutely refuses to give a get is SOL. She can be 100% determined and willing. she can have all the support in the world, but there's not a darn thing she can do if he refuses.