Topic Wiki

TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines

How it works

An applicant must be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes. If an applicant has a record of any of the crimes identified in the eligibility requirements, they may choose not to apply, as the application fee is nonrefundable.

Interested applicants must visit an application center to provide biographic information that includes name, date of birth and address. An applicant will be fingerprinted and will be required to provide valid required identity and citizenship/immigration documentation. An applicant also has the option to pre-enroll online to provide basic information and make an appointment before visiting an application center. There is a nonrefundable application processing fee of $85.

After completing enrollment, successful applicants will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail approximately 2-3 weeks following the visit to the application center. An applicant also may check status online by visiting https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ and clicking on “Service Status.” The Known Traveler Number is valid for five years.

Once approved as eligible for TSA Pre✓™, the enrollee must enter the provided KTN in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field when booking travel reservations on any of the ten participating airlines.  The KTN also can be added when booking reservations online via a participating airline website, via phone call to the airline reservation center, or with the travel management company making reservations.  Additionally, the KTN can be entered in participating airline frequent flyer profiles, where it will be stored for future reservations.
Please make sure the name used when applying for the TSA Pre✓™ application program matches the name used when booking travel.
TSA Pre✓™ eligibility will be identified with a TSA Pre✓™ indicator on the boarding pass.

Important Notice

Please note, appointments may only be made for a date within a 45 day window of completing the online application, and if all available appointments are booked in that period, appointments would not be accepted, requiring the applicant to check back for availability. The applicant also may visit an application site as a “walk-in” without an appointment but could experience a longer wait time.

Ready to pre-enroll? Visit the TSA Pre✓™ application website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if I do not meet the eligibility requirements?
A. If TSA determines that the applicant does not meet program eligibility requirements, the applicant will receive a letter via U.S. mail to the mailing address provided in the application with instructions on how to proceed.

Q. How can I pay?
A. Applicants pay at an application center with credit card, money order, company check, or certified/cashier's check. Cash and personal checks are not accepted. Application centers accept Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express, and Discover credit cards. Check and money order payments for all services should be made payable to "MorphoTrust USA." Checks and money orders must be written in the exact amount. No change or refunds can be given.

Q. Can I be refunded the $85 fee?
A. No. TSA uses the application fee to cover the costs of background checks after the application is submitted. Therefore, no refunds are allowed, even if it is determined that the applicant does not meet eligibility requirements.

Q. Where can I apply in-person?
A. For information and directions to your nearest application center, click here. TSA has more than 300 locations nationwide.

Q. Do I need to make an appointment for an application center?
A. Visit the TSA Pre✓™ appointment webpage to make an appointment or contact the Universal Enrollment Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Eastern Time.  Walk-ins are also allowed at most application centers, but wait times may be longer.

Q. What documents do I need to bring to the application center?
A. View the list of required identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents.

Q. How should I fill out my name on my application?
A. The name on the application must exactly match the name on the applicant’s identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents and be the name used when booking travel reservations.

Q. What if I have legally changed my name and it does not match the name on my identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents?
A. If the applicant has legally changed his or her name, that individual must provide an original or certified a court-ordered name change document (such as marriage certificates or divorce decrees) in addition to the required documentation. For example, when presenting a U.S. birth certificate with maiden name and a driver’s license with the married name, the applicant must also provide a marriage certificate that shows the link between the names on the birth certificate and the driver’s license.

Q. What happens if I cannot provide fingerprints or be fingerprinted?
A. For the in-person fingerprint collection, TSA has procedures to accommodate individuals who are partial or full amputees or who may be unable to provide ten-finger fingerprints.

Q. How will I be notified if I am approved?
A. If approved, the applicant will receive a notification letter with an assigned Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail when TSA completes the review of their application. The assigned KTN must be used when booking travel reservations. Applicants can also check their status online.

Q. Will I receive a card or credential to be used when traveling?
A. No. There is no card or credential provided by the TSA Pre✓™ application program.  Instead, the traveler would use the provided Known Traveler Number (KTN) when booking travel.  The KTN can be provided online when booking a flight. It also can be saved in the traveler’s profile, or provided verbally to the airline representative when booking travel by phone.

Q. If I have already been approved for Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, or if I already have a KTN,  do I need to apply for the TSA Pre✓™ application program?
A. Individuals who already have a KTN, including members of Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI, need not enroll in the TSA Pre✓™ application program.

Link to purchase Global Entry TSA pre-check for a discounted price.
« Last edited by chff on August 16, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

Author Topic: TSA Precheck  (Read 184667 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: TSA Precheck
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2016, 04:50:28 AM »
I know but my question is if I need the actual card when I have Nexus to enter Canada or I just punch in my info like I do with GE?
When I got my Nexus interview, I was told I can use GE lanes entering the US immediately, without waiting for card, but was told that I can only use Nexus lanes AFTER receiving card. It's been a while, so I don't recall if I actually needed to show the card on the Nexus lane the next time I entered.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2016, 07:16:01 AM »
so there's no point in nexus by the nf border? (wasn't it made to go across the customs(border),or was it only by a ezpass booth?
Nexus is Nexus, and toll is something else...
You once needed a Nexus "toll account" (as well) to use the "Nexus only" Whirlpool bridge, but now you can use EZ-Pass instead of the Nexus "toll account"

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
TSA Precheck
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2016, 07:24:12 PM »
Just got back from the appointment at EWR with application under married name and passport under maiden name and brought along a marriage license.
The guy gave my wife a hard time and kept saying that Uncle Sam doesn't know who you are... And that she had 15 months to get a new passport...
My wife just said she didn't get around to doing it and doesn't want to wait again for an appointment, after some back and forth he approved the application under her maiden name (same as passport) and the approval letter online reflects that.
The officer also made my wife promise that she'll change the name on her passport to her married name within the next 2 months, or else.... Probably nothing, but he said it may get revoked.
After the passport is changed she was told to come back without an appointment and when the officer comes out of the room she should say her name was changed and they'll process it.
Now I'm going to make a sw ticket under maiden and married names and we'll see when tsa pre works. Assuming it'll only work under maiden name, but I'll report back.
Tsa pre worked on a ticket under her maiden name (just remember to put in at least the middle initial)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:27:52 PM by Crazy tools »

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2016, 07:46:05 PM »
Tsa pre worked on a ticket under her maiden name (just remember to put in at least the middle initial)
Obviously....

Offline Shauly101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
« Reply #264 on: July 08, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
for the people without GE or Pre Check,

i was just in JFK (i have GE) the arrival was packed, while walking down the hallway they had signs about a new app which expedites your wait time and promoting to download it, then i saw that they actually direct you to the same line as GE,
in the app;
 you enter your passport info.
fill out  and you can do that in advance the CSB form 
show receipt to officer!

was nice to see a fellow just downloading it while walking down the hallway 45sec later he was out

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-passport-officially/id907024887?ls=1&mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.mobilepassport

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 08, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »
for the people without GE or Pre Check,

i was just in JFK (i have GE) the arrival was packed, while walking down the hallway they had signs about a new app which expedites your wait time and promoting to download it, then i saw that they actually direct you to the same line as GE,
in the app;
 you enter your passport info.
fill out  and you can do that in advance the CSB form 
show receipt to officer!

was nice to see a fellow just downloading it while walking down the hallway 45sec later he was out

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-passport-officially/id907024887?ls=1&mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.mobilepassport
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=63425.0
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 28, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
DW applied. Application is pending review. But there is a pass ID # added to the account. Will it help if I add it to reservation before appointment?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 29, 2016, 12:38:05 AM »
DW applied. Application is pending review. But there is a pass ID # added to the account. Will it help if I add it to reservation before appointment?
It shouldn't.

Offline yuguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »
Finishing up a two month stint in Israel. Precheck no problem when departing from JFK. Noticed the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass... There was no air travel between arrival and departure. I've heard of this for places like Mexico and Turkey... Any israel reports?

And GE won't work until it's off, correct?

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2016, 04:06:47 AM »
Finishing up a two month stint in Israel. Precheck no problem when departing from JFK. Noticed the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass... There was no air travel between arrival and departure. I've heard of this for places like Mexico and Turkey... Any israel reports?

And GE won't work until it's off, correct?

Offline Newcc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 02, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
If I checked in online and didn't have the option(or missed it) to add global entry number/tsa pre-check is there anyway to add it in later, or re-do check in?

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 02, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »
If I checked in online and didn't have the option(or missed it) to add global entry number/tsa pre-check is there anyway to add it in later, or re-do check in?
You can add it to your ticket at any time and refresh/reissue your boarding pass a few minutes later. No need to re-check-in.

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 02, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »
You can add it to your ticket at any time and refresh/reissue your boarding pass a few minutes later. No need to re-check-in.
didnt work.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 02, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
Whenever it happened to me I had to do it again at checkin.

Offline Newcc

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2016, 10:00:12 PM »
Ok, ill try that. thanks for ur help

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2016, 12:43:53 AM »
didnt work.

I have added my KTN after check-in while standing online for security and kept refreshing my mobile BP in the app until it showed TSA pre. Once it showed I switched to the other line.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2016, 02:29:16 AM »
Quote from the wiki "

After completing enrollment, successful applicants will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail approximately 2-3 weeks following the visit to the application center. An applicant also may check status online by visiting https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ and clicking on “Service Status.” The Known Traveler Number is valid for five years.".

Now, since that link doesn't work, can someone please advise me. Since The KTN is the same number as on the application, when can I put that in to my reservation? How do I know if I was accepted (before the letter comes)? And if anyone knows why that link isn't working, please fix the wiki. Thanx

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »
Link works for me...

(and whats pshat in your avatar?)
^^^

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
Link works for me...

(and whats pshat in your avatar?)
Didn't work for me on a desktop or mobile, weird..
Pshat why I picked that? Or pshat in the actual pic?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 12, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
Link works for me...

Got it. The link wasn't working on optimum...
I signed up for global entry, does it make sense that its not in the TSA system yet?

Eta: it obviously is tho because on CBP it shows that I was approved...Weird