Topic Wiki

Term insurance vs Whole life

Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Return of Premium (ROP) Level term. Same as level term, but with a higher premium. At the end of the level period (e.g. 20 years or 30 years) you get back all of your premiums. Your premium is buying you two things: Part pays for the term insurance, and the other part pays for the cash payment you can get if you are alive at the end and didn't miss any premium payments. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate an IRR and decide if you see a value in doing this.

The policies below combine "investing" with insurance. As they are front-loaded with large fees and commissions, they typically lose money for a few years and then break even. These rarely make sense for lower to middle class families.
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

Choosing a company
Generally, the companies that focus on term insurance will have the best prices (i.e. rates) for term. Those companies are Banner, SBLI, AIG, etc. If you want to buy term, use a quote aggregator to get quotes from several companies at once. Here is one example of an aggregator (a good one!).
[No one here is getting a commission for this link]
http://www.term4sale.com/
https://www.accuquotelife.com/
https://www.matrixdirect.com/term-life-insurance#fv

If you are looking for Whole Life, Universal Life, or any other permanent product, you won't find quotes on aggregators- you will need to go to a company agent or an independent broker. A simple piece of advice for someone in this position is to get quotes from companies that focus on the product you want. For example, Whole Life is done best by mutual companies (e.g. New York Life, Guardian, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, Penn, Mutual of Omaha). Universal Life (and VUL) are the main products of public stock companies (e.g. Metlife, Prudential, etc.). Most big companies sell all the different types of products, but may not be competitive in price for all of them.

One ddf'er feels strongly that when choosing a company to buy Term from, a major factor is the what "conversion" rights the policy comes with. Conversion is a feature that entitles you to buy Whole Life or Universal Life at some point in the future (presumably when you have more money and can afford the higher priced plans) without being underwritten again - meaning you keep your rating no matter how your health may change. Conversion is certainly a valuable benefit if you anticipate needing permanent insurance at some point, and not all companies are created equal. When evaluating conversion features, you need to look at 1) how long does the conversion right last and 2) what product does the company let you convert to. Many companies offer liberal conversion rights but have bad permanent products, and you need to be educated enough to see through this and value it as a poor option.

Valuable tips for when you apply
Underwriting is the insurance company deciding which rating to give each applicant. They check health and driving record, but do not check credit rating. They can approve with their best rating, or pretty much offer whatever they want as each company has many rate classes.

Different companies can and do give different ratings to the exact same people. So if you don't like the rating one company offered, apply to a different company and maybe you'll be happier. Often, they can use the test results from the other company and you won't need to give blood a second time.

Do not eat for at least 12 hours before blood test. You can drink water.

Pregnant women can apply but most companies view blood work and weight as is. Translation: not wise to apply for life insurance while pregnant... do it before.

Shameless plug  :)
After you've done your own research, you could reach out to a broker to make the purchase. Remember to take advise from a broker with a grain of salt, since he is a salesman and your decision affects his income. Best to come prepared.
Henche's Broker, via ddf recommendation
Heshy Sheldon Breier. 
Worldwide Ins.
T:(718)253-9500
F:(718)252-3426
E:Sheldon@ww-ins.com

Author Topic: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance  (Read 138828 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Whole Life Vs. Term Life Insurance
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 09:12:46 AM »
@yeki
Take extra caution before investing in a fund without any government oversight.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »
I met the askan behind the movement to insure all young married people get life insurance.  This is his whole life. He offers non-biased advice as he doesn't sell anything. PM me for his contact info.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
I met the askan behind the movement to insure all young married people get life insurance.  This is his whole life. He offers non-biased advice as he doesn't sell anything. PM me for his contact info.

Impressive. You managed to use 'insure' and 'whole life' their other senses in one sentence about life insurance.

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »

I know agents say term is throwing money away for 97% of people, but the same is true for every other insurance that we hope we never need to use but have it for that 3% chance we will, and yet nobody sells whole car or whole house insurance...

In the end of the day, I think it really depends on why you have/need life insurance in the first place.  To me, the primary goal is to provide your spouse/family with an amount of money, in one lump sum, to offset the fact that if something happened to you would no longer be around to support your family financially.  If you are 30 and buy 30 year term insurance, you may want to replace that policy when your are 40, with a new 30 year term policy.  This way, you have provided $X million of financial benefit for your family until Age 70 -- by that time, we would hope your kids are finished with their education and are already established with their own families and incomes, and that you and your spouse have saved enough money to live comfortably in your retirement (such that your spouse doesn't need the death benefit of LI anymore).  Term Life is by far the cheapest wat to do this -- especially with the price discovery in the market that websites like instaquote or reliaquote have brought -- it is much cheaper to buy Term than it was 10 0r 20 years ago (and it will probably continue to get cheaper).

I have replaced my term policies a few times now as I've gotten older, and as pricing has shifted (even though I've gotten older, I have replaced 5 year old term for less premium) I have either saved $ or added coverage for the same $, or just gotten further out in time for the same or a bit more $ (i.e. replace a 20 year term policy 5 years later for a new 20 year term policy at the same rate).

Just my two cents, but I can't see justifying the costs and 'uncertainties' (actuarial calculations) surrounding whole life and similar policies -- Term is just so much easier, cheaper, and cleaner.

And the perspective of "throwing out $" is not relevant IMO, as the only reason you have the insurance is to provide the protection to your family if you, G-d forbid, are gone one day.  If you haven't gotten into a car accident in three years, I've never heard someone say they've thrown out money on car insurance.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Just my two cents, but I can't see justifying the costs and 'uncertainties' (actuarial calculations) surrounding whole life and similar policies -- Term is just so much easier, cheaper, and cleaner.
What do you mean by this? The cost of insurance calculation is set up the same way in term as it is in whole life.

Offline yosele

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
In the end of the day, I think it really depends on why you have/need life insurance in the first place.  To me, the primary goal is to provide your spouse/family with an amount of money, in one lump sum, to offset the fact that if something happened to you would no longer be around to support your family financially.  If you are 30 and buy 30 year term insurance, you may want to replace that policy when your are 40, with a new 30 year term policy.  This way, you have provided $X million of financial benefit for your family until Age 70 -- by that time, we would hope your kids are finished with their education and are already established with their own families and incomes, and that you and your spouse have saved enough money to live comfortably in your retirement (such that your spouse doesn't need the death benefit of LI anymore).  Term Life is by far the cheapest wat to do this -- especially with the price discovery in the market that websites like instaquote or reliaquote have brought -- it is much cheaper to buy Term than it was 10 0r 20 years ago (and it will probably continue to get cheaper).

If you are 30, and have in mind to replace the term by age 40, why buy a 30 year term in first place, when you could buy for much cheaper a 10 year term?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
If you are 30, and have in mind to replace the term by age 40, why buy a 30 year term in first place, when you could buy for much cheaper a 10 year term?
Because if someone were to get sick at 35 then they would still have term until 60 whereas if you got 10 year at 30 then when you try to get a new policy at 40 the prices will be outrageous.

Offline yosele

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »
a 30 year term is usually a waste of money.

If someone wants coverage for 30-40 years, the way to go is with universal.

Its approximately the same price as a 30 year term and you have much more flexibility.

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »
What do you mean by this? The cost of insurance calculation is set up the same way in term as it is in whole life.

No it isn't.  In term life, you have a rate per year that is fixed, and a death benefit that is fixed.  Period.  In whole life, there is an imputed interest rate used in calculating your premium -- and YMMV depending on what actually happens in the world as time goes on, cash value of the policy can differ over time, etc.

Offline David B

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »
Because if someone were to get sick at 35 then they would still have term until 60 whereas if you got 10 year at 30 then when you try to get a new policy at 40 the prices will be outrageous.

+1 BAHayman -- precisely.  At age 20 something, if you are healthy, compare 20 and 30 year term.  If it's not too much more, get the 30.  Look to replace in 5 or 10 years (or 5 AND 10 years) if you are still healthy.

Offline David B

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »

Its approximately the same price as a 30 year term and you have much more flexibility.

When I priced universal, it was not "approximately the same price" as term -- much more expensive.

If you are able to make that statement, please offer specific example with comparative rates.

And again, if you pay your term policy, you have a death benefit if it's needed G-d forbid -- don't see how that's a waste of $

On DDF, the difference between Term cost and Universal or Whole life cost can be invested in meeting spending thresholds....:)

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »

When I priced universal, it was not "approximately the same price" as term -- much more expensive.

If you are able to make that statement, please offer specific example with comparative rates.
+1. UL is cheaper then WL but still way more expensive then Term IME.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »
No it isn't.  In term life, you have a rate per year that is fixed, and a death benefit that is fixed.  Period.  In whole life, there is an imputed interest rate used in calculating your premium -- and YMMV depending on what actually happens in the world as time goes on, cash value of the policy can differ over time, etc.

You're mixing up a lot of disparate things. Your premium rate and your minimum death benefit on a vanilla whole life policy do not vary any more than they do on a vanilla term policy. You mention the 'uncertainties' and 'actuarial calculations' on whole life, as if they are somehow absent on term. There is an implied rate of return used to calculate the actuarial present value in term as well. The basic mechanics of how the 'cost of insurance' portion of any single life insurance policy is the same.

Offline Plus1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
From a former Life Insurance Salesman:

Term vs Whole Life insurance is one of the most quintessential age-old arguments.  I’ll just give some of my basic thoughts here and I am not going to get into crazy detail regarding interest rates, inflation, and other specific arguments.  I do know what I am talking about as I sold Life Insurance for a few years.

Many times it makes sense for young families to buy some Whole Life and then some Term insurance.  For example, I used to sell a lot of $250,000 Whole Life and $750,000 30 year Term, or $500,000 Whole Life and 1.5 million 30 Year Term (any denominations can be bought and you get the point) etc..

Of course the argument depends on your physical health, age, and what other retirement money you are putting away.  Many people don’t put away money for anything but always think that 1 day when they get a promotion or when they get a raise –then they will set up that IRA or increase payments to their 401K.  If you haven’t done it till now, there is good chance you won’t get around for a very long time (if ever).  And the "Buy Term Insurance and invest the difference argument" never really pans out.  Whenever someone would tell me that they made the smartest decision by buying Term insurance because now they can "invest" the difference, I would ask them if they invested the difference yet.  The answer was always "Not yet but I will."

DAN: THE BEST WHOLE LIFE PRODUCT YOU CAN BUY IS CUSTOM WHOLE LIFE BY NEW YORK LIFE. When you evaluate the built-in guarantees with the backing of the financial strength of mutually owned NY Life, it blows other insurers Whole Life products out of the water*.  Custom Whole Life is not a product you research yourself on the internet and then decide to buy.  If any of you are in the market for buying Whole / Universal Life Insurance, I urge you to contact your local NY Life office and ask for an experienced agent to come to your home or office to hear more about Custom Whole Life.  He or she will explain the ins and outs of the product. To be clear New York Life offers regular Whole Life (which is also 1 of the best Whole Life products out there) and Custom Whole Life.
Again, it may not make sense for you as it depends on your age and health.  If you are 40+ perhaps regular Whole Life or Universal Life might make more sense.

I do NOT recommend ROP / Return of Premium Term polices.  Firstly, they are relatively new products that have been released in the last decade.  The insurers that offer them have not really paid out the return of premium yet as many of them are 15-30 years out.  Most of the time this products is not worth it.  As a consumer you should be scratching your head thinking "Hey how come my Car, Health, Homeowners, Renters insurance companies don't offer a return of premium option if I never use their policies?   Most of the insurers that offer this product are banking on the fact that many of the policyholders will eventually stop paying the premiums and therefore the insurer keeps your money.  These policies cost more than regular Term Insurance, and I would only sell it if the guy I was selling to thought "he knows what he's doing" and doesn't need an insurance agent to sell him a regular Term Policy: www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGQQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fadvisorinsuranceresource.com%2Ffile%2Fa7b55c7a34ff4e80cd43b9e2a1be0b61&ei=FaMEUPPXKITm0QHRi4XfCA&usg=AFQjCNFL0CV1HLMRl-pYZSf1ycVB5j_Prw is a quick PDF on Return of Premium, it crunches the numbers for you to understand.

Other quick recommendations:
1)   No matter what policy with what company you buy, you should always add buy the Disabled Premium Waiver.  Virtually every company offers it for a nominal amount, and it protects you if you are ever disabled, the company will “pay” your premiums for you.  Most people don’t have any disability insurance, and this protects you for very little money. 

2)   ALWAYS find out the financial rating of the life insurer you are going with. In life insurance, the company is promising to pay a substantial amount of money years if not decades from now.  Make sure you stick with the winners who have been around for a long time and most likely will be around for a long time (even if we dip into another few recessions).  They are rated by the rating agencies Moodys, S&P etc

3)   Meet with at least 2 different brokers / agents and see what they offer.  You don’t need to do this but sometimes it’s a good idea.

4)   If your seriously considering buying a Whole Life policy, first seriously look into Custom Whole Life by NY Life.  If that doesn’t pan out then look into Whole Life from the following mutually owned insurers: New York Life, Mass Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, and Guardian Life.  These 4 companies are some of the strongest financially and that is extremely important when choosing an insurer that will be financially sound for years to come.  These 4 companies are mutually owned insurance companies, and they pay their dividends to the individuals who own Whole Life Insurance policies.  These are NOT public companies. Mutually owned insurance companies are much stronger and can offer a bit more. Read more about it http://www.newyorklife.com/nyl/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5b1ece94229d2210a2b3019d221024301cacRCRD

5)   You can buy Term insurance from a mutually owned insurance company, but usually you are better off buying from whoever is cheapest and has a good financial rating.   However if you do buy from a mutually owned insurance company there are some perks. 
    A)   You can convert and upgrade your policy with the mutually owned insurer at any time
    B)   Slight perks: For example, let’s say  you bought a 20 year Term insurance policy from NY Life with a $1 million death benefit, and you smartly bought the disability waiver of premium (as mentioned above).  Then you become disabled in year 15.  From year 15 to year 20 New York Life will pay your cheap Term premium. In year 20 they will convert the policy to a regular Whole Life policy with the death benefit of $1 million. And of course you can access the Cash Value as if you were paying the policy.

But if you are looking for a 30 Year Term policy, stick with a non-mutually owned insurance company, as mutually owned insurers don’t usually offer a 30 year term policy.

--
Some of you may disagree with what I wrote above- and you may even sell Life Insurance yourselves.  These are my personal opinions and I have nothing to gain by writing them. At times I did get into some detail, but overall these are my general opinions.  Don't buy Life Insurance on the internet, it's always better to use an agent or broker.
 I do not sell insurance anymore and I am just trying to give back to Dansdeals, as I learn a lot from these forums. 

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
From a former Life Insurance Salesman:

Thanks for the long and detailed post.

2)   ALWAYS find out the financial rating of the life insurer you are going with.

Aren't insurance policies insured by a government insurance policy (like FDIC for life insurance companies)?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »
@Plus1

+ a billion, you're spot on. I'm an actuary at NYL on a different product pricing team and we constantly look to CWL as a benchmark. I'd say a large percentage of the actuaries own either CWL or VUL, and who would know better which product is a good value. The point about the dividends cannot be emphasized enough. One of the options is to have the dividend 'reinvested' in the policy as Paid Up Additions, which essentially adds to your cash value and death benefit, without having to incur the expenses of a new policy (meaning a larger portion of your money in goes directly to your benefit). I can't agree more about the disability waiver as well, I think it's automatically included on certain policies.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
Aren't insurance policies insured by a government insurance policy (like FDIC for life insurance companies)?

Every state has their own agency, but there are significant limits, and it doesn't preclude the need to buy with a financially strong company.

ETA: NY's - http://www.nylifega.org/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:48:35 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
Guaranteed by the State

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
Every state has their own agency, but there are significant limits, and it doesn't preclude the need to buy with a financially strong company.

ETA: NY's - http://www.nylifega.org/

I saw this. Aside from the limits, who cares about the financial strength of an insurance company?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)