Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 149103 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #680 on: May 30, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »
טענו לו בחיטים והודו לזכר קדשו
Is that similar to a להד"מ? Because then you would be absolutely correct.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 30, 2021, 11:56:44 AM »
Anything that has variable factors cannot be guaranteed sustainable, but it's lasted this long, and as my quoted post says earlier, "even if they would shut down today, it would have been a resounding success."

If they shut it down today how many donors wouldn’t take it lightly after giving money for years? What about the family of a hypothetical donor who is terminally ill and on some level relying on this?

Other organizations aren’t structured this way, so it isn’t apples to apples. But if a קהילה געלט organization took money from someone and then didn’t pay out for what their mission is to, I’d have questions.

If RCCS had several rumored cases of denying help to families of Frum people in the area with cancer, I’d have questions.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 30, 2021, 12:01:22 PM »

If they shut it down today how many donors wouldn’t take it lightly after giving money for years? What about the family of a hypothetical donor who is terminally ill and on some level relying on this?

Other organizations aren’t structured this way, so it isn’t apples to apples. But if a קהילה געלט organization took money from someone and then didn’t pay out for what their mission is to, I’d have questions.

If RCCS had several rumored cases of denying help to families of Frum people in the area with cancer, I’d have questions.

You are being אוחז החבל בשני הראשים on The one hand you want them to avoid adverse selection and on the other hand when they do something to avoid it you call it denying help.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 30, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »

You are being אוחז החבל בשני הראשים on The one hand you want them to avoid adverse selection and on the other hand when they do something to avoid it you call it denying help.

I don’t want them to do anything. All I’m saying is if they were transparent and upfront then when they stuck to their published terms and bylaws, and published financial data, I would respect that.

I do hold them to a higher standard than other organizations because they choose to present things differently.

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 30, 2021, 12:09:46 PM »
I b personally don’t mind giving tzdaka to a family in need, in the case of areivim $7 per child after parent passes away. And the money really goes to the almana in cash.
Why would they need/have a pre existing clause???
עס איז דאך צדקה!!

As others mentioned it is much more sustainable the way it is currently set up. I also think people who are disqualified for prior medical issues usually have a lot less dignity to lose. Fundraising for a cancer patient that passed away is a lot less embarrassing for the family than a fundraiser for a healthy person that suddenly dies.
Visibly Jewish

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 30, 2021, 12:11:14 PM »
As others mentioned it is much more sustainable the way it is currently set up.

I’m sorry, that sustainability is in question IMHO.

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 30, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
As others mentioned it is much more sustainable the way it is currently set up. I also think people who are disqualified for prior medical issues usually have a lot less dignity to lose. Fundraising for a cancer patient that passed away is a lot less embarrassing for the family than a fundraiser for a healthy person that suddenly dies.
אני שומע

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 30, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »
I’m sorry, that sustainability is in question IMHO.

Honestly your perspective is pretty dumb and just looks like you’re trying to denigrate a great organization for no reason. There’s nothing to sustain. Each death has its own collection, there’s no funds lying around to “sustain” the next collection. It’s simple automated collections upon an eligible death. They’ve been around for many years and other than something like COVID there’s no reason to think it can’t work for many more.

Your idea of auditing the financials shows you are completely missing the point.
Visibly Jewish

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 30, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
Honestly your perspective is pretty dumb and just looks like you’re trying to denigrate a great organization for no reason. There’s nothing to sustain. Each death has its own collection, there’s no funds lying around to “sustain” the next collection. It’s simple automated collections upon an eligible death. They’ve been around for many years and other than something like COVID there’s no reason to think it can’t work for many more.

Your idea of auditing the financials shows you are completely missing the point.

I’m under the impression that a lot of the members consider this an alternative to Life Insurance (which they either could or can’t afford), and Arevim hasn’t done enough to market their program in a way that it clearly isn’t that. Maybe I’m totally off but that was the impression I got when I encountered Areivim.

I understand we disagree here, but I don’t see how that justifies you calling my perspective dumb.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 30, 2021, 12:36:01 PM »
I’m under the impression that a lot of the members consider this an alternative to Life Insurance (which they either could or can’t afford), and Arevim hasn’t done enough to market their program in a way that it clearly isn’t that. Maybe I’m totally off but that was the impression I got when I encountered Areivim.

I understand we disagree here, but I don’t see how that justifies you calling my perspective dumb.

For the hundredth time it isn’t life insurance and that’s where dumb comes into play. The burden is on you to show them marketing it like that before denigrating for being an “unsustainable life insurance policy” when it’s clearly not what it is.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #690 on: May 30, 2021, 12:37:51 PM »

FWIW they do state it clearly. Whether or not it's prominent enough is a subjective opinion.

The problem is that people will believe what they want to, even if it's removed from the reality presented to them. That happens everywhere a purchase is involved, as purchases involve emotions too. I am currently dealing with an extreme case where I took over as servicing agent on a policy, and the client is making baseless ridiculous arguments, ignoring the fact that they simply didn't pay all their premiums due on time, spending so much time and energy trying to tell me what the company should do, who they should hire, etc etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 12:40:53 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 30, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
For the hundredth time it isn’t life insurance and that’s where dumb comes into play. The burden is on you to show them marketing it like that before denigrating for being an “unsustainable life insurance policy” when it’s clearly not what it is.

For the hundredth time, you’re entitled to your opinion but please stop calling mine dumb. The fact that they busy in their terms that it isn’t life insurance doesn’t change the impression I got when I encountered the organization. Granted it was years ago and their approach may have changed, but I’m entitled to wonder about it.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #692 on: May 30, 2021, 12:44:32 PM »

As a first step remove/change the poll which seems to imply that Areivim is something one "has"!

The only thing a person "has" as a result of becoming a member of Areivim is the זכות of a מצוה. Putting that in one sentence (how much more so, a question) with Life Insurance is PURPOSELY MISLEADING!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 30, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
For the hundredth time, you’re entitled to your opinion but please stop calling mine dumb. The fact that they busy in their terms that it isn’t life insurance doesn’t change the impression I got when I encountered the organization. Granted it was years ago and their approach may have changed, but I’m entitled to wonder about it.

Did you encounter the organization or an individual that tried to promote it thinking he or she is doing the world the greatest favor?
-- Dan

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 30, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »
Did you encounter the organization or an individual that tried to promote it thinking he or she is doing the world the greatest favor?
No the burden is not on him.....

מאן דכאיב ליה כאיבא אזיל לבי אסיא
["-"]

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 30, 2021, 12:53:10 PM »
As a first step remove/change the poll which seems to imply that Areivim is something one "has"!

The only thing a person "has" as a result of becoming a member of Areivim is the זכות of a מצוה. Putting that in one sentence (how much more so, a question) with Life Insurance is PURPOSELY MISLEADING!

I didn’t put the poll up though I agree it seems misleading. Not enough to take a position as a mod unless you can tell me which forum rule it violates and how, and suggest an amendment.

In any case if you do, do it via the report-to-mod button or PM since moderation questions shouldn’t be asked publicly.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 30, 2021, 12:55:49 PM »

It was people representing/promoting the organization, I would assume they speak for the organization to some extent. I’m not sure they were knowledgeable enough about LI to discuss the differences between Areivim and LI, and you might argue that as volunteers maybe they shouldn’t have to. FWIW at the time I was clueless about LI as well, as I assume many people who sign up are.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 30, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »
Do you have something against charities in general? It feels weird arguing on 2 threads
["-"]

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 30, 2021, 12:58:18 PM »
Just the name implies an acceptance of responsibility.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 30, 2021, 12:59:30 PM »
Do you have something against charities in general? It feels weird arguing on 2 threads

I have something against lack of transparency and iffy fundraising methods. I have nothing against charity/tzedakah.