Author Topic: Need advice...Us Airways points compared to BA Avios  (Read 2308 times)

Offline hargel411

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Need advice...Us Airways points compared to BA Avios
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »
Hi Everyone...We are a family of 5...Every year we usually have 2 vacations...One in the fall in Florida...the other in the spring in Israel.  I have tons of chase cc for the avios.  The other I have is US airways Barclays card...they have the 2 $99 companion tickets.  The goal is to fly local with the us airways and international with the avios.  Am I on the right track.  Can you guys advice me?  Thanks in advance

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: Need advice...Us Airways points compared to BA Avios
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
Hi Everyone...We are a family of 5...Every year we usually have 2 vacations...One in the fall in Florida...the other in the spring in Israel.  I have tons of chase cc for the avios.  The other I have is US airways Barclays card...they have the 2 $99 companion tickets.  The goal is to fly local with the us airways and international with the avios.  Am I on the right track.  Can you guys advice me?  Thanks in advance

Nope, you've got it backward. Use the Avios to fly to Florida on AA, and the US Airways miles (or better yet, transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to United, as they are much better miles) to fly to Israel.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
Companion tix are only valid for domestic travel.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »
Nope, you've got it backward. Use the Avios to fly to Florida on AA, and the US Airways miles (or better yet, transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to United, as they are much better miles) to fly to Israel.
+1

Offline hargel411

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »
Doesn't Air Berlin fly for 60k and sometimes 40k to Israel...and they take Avios...Us Airways at 80 k and united too.  The companion tix is domestic that's why I thought about local.

Offline hargel411

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »
Sorry...I am new to this...What does +1 mean

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:46 AM »
Sorry...I am new to this...What does +1 mean
+1

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
+1 means גם אני מצטרף להנ״ל. :D

Offline hargel411

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
+1

In addition...no fuel charges for Air Berlin...so why not Avios...United at 80k...Air Berlin is 60k.  I am confused

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »
Doesn't Air Berlin fly for 60k and sometimes 40k to Israel...and they take Avios...Us Airways at 80 k and united too.  The companion tix is domestic that's why I thought about local.

You're right about Air Berlin - but that's just one airline, and not the greatest one, at that. If they don't have availability on the dates you want, you're SOL. They also often have VERY odd connection times. With US or UA miles, on the other hand, you can book United, US Airways, Swiss, Lufthansa, Austrian, etc. - you're much more likely to find availability, and on better airlines.

As for domestic, US Airways charges 25K for a round-trip; with Avios, it's only 15K per ticket (from NY). That means every person, every trip that you book with Avios instead of US, you'll be saving 10K - that's 50K. And that adds up much quicker than the silly companion certificates.

As an added bonus, if you plan your trip last-minute, BA does not charge a "close-in" or "expedite" fee.

Offline hargel411

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
You're right about Air Berlin - but that's just one airline, and not the greatest one, at that. If they don't have availability on the dates you want, you're SOL. They also often have VERY odd connection times. With US or UA miles, on the other hand, you can book United, US Airways, Swiss, Lufthansa, Austrian, etc. - you're much more likely to find availability, and on better airlines.

As for domestic, US Airways charges 25K for a round-trip; with Avios, it's only 15K per ticket (from NY). That means every person, every trip that you book with Avios instead of US, you'll be saving 10K - that's 50K. And that adds up much quicker than the silly companion certificates.

As an added bonus, if you plan your trip last-minute, BA does not charge a "close-in" or "expedite" fee.
Right but by your theory the savings with Air Berlin is at least 20k per person...which is double than 10k....and we are talking right now two family trips..... 5 tickets each....one to Florida and one to Israel...and we are flexible...Based on 5 tickets thats a 50k savings...because with Air Berlin is a 20k savings...

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »
Right but by your theory the savings with Air Berlin is at least 20k per person...which is double than 10k....and we are talking right now two family trips..... 5 tickets each....one to Florida and one to Israel...and we are flexible...Based on 5 tickets thats a 50k savings...because with Air Berlin is a 20k savings...

Good luck finding availability on Air Berlin. Especially five seats on the same flight.

Sometimes it's just worth paying the premium.

Offline hargel411

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »
Ok...so I go with United.....Can I somehow transfer the US airways miles to United...so I can use the chase points

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »
Ok...so I go with United.....Can I somehow transfer the US airways miles to United...so I can use the chase points

US Airways miles can be used to book the same flights as United miles, just with worse rules. My advice is to use up what you have from US, and from now on, spend on a Chase card that gives Ultimate Rewards. Like this, you'll have the flexibility to transfer to United or BA, whatever you need at the time.