Author Topic: What Award Itinerary Did You Just Book/Hold?  (Read 922306 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: What Award Itinerary Did You Just Book/Hold?
« Reply #1640 on: January 05, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
Hi, thanks. I have your TR from last summer as a guide for Spain and will probably have questions about Gibraltar and about the intra-Europe flights, etc. as the months draw near.   :D
I didn't know you were going to Spain (you just mentioned DUB in your post). Ask all the questions you want (in the appropriate thread).

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1641 on: January 05, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »
Having internal conflict, need help from masses.

MEL-AUH-IAD // DCA-JFK on EY F A380 then EY F 787 where connections are great, allows me to leave MEL on on Saturday night and be home on Sunday night, but requires I switch airports from IAD to DCA (perhaps EY would drive me?)
or
MEL-AUH-JFK on A380x2 but connection is terrible. I'd arrive AUH at 06:35 and would depart 21 hours later at 03:25, only arriving in JFK at 910am on Monday.

What would you do?

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1642 on: January 05, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »

MEL-AUH-IAD // DCA-JFK on EY F A380 then EY F 787 where connections are great, allows me to leave MEL on on Saturday night and be home on Sunday night, but requires I switch airports from IAD to DCA (perhaps EY would drive me?)
or
MEL-AUH-JFK on A380x2 but connection is terrible. I'd arrive AUH at 06:35 and would depart 21 hours later at 03:25, only arriving in JFK at 910am on Monday.

What would you do?
Go back to work and stop booking flights you're not going to take ;)
Or hop on a plane to CLE for a Chef Dave's DO? Though you missed this: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=17387.msg1372604#msg1372604
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: January 05, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
1. What's connection time in DC?
2. Is there no flight IAD-JFK/LGA at the time you need or just not available (it's a long ways away, couldn't it open up)?
3. Have you toured AUH before? Would you tour it now? If so, it's not an awful connection, rather an opportunity to see another city
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1644 on: January 05, 2016, 03:41:16 PM »
1. What's connection time in DC?
2. Is there no flight IAD-JFK/LGA at the time you need or just not available (it's a long ways away, couldn't it open up)?
3. Have you toured AUH before? Would you tour it now? If so, it's not an awful connection, rather an opportunity to see another city

Good questions.

1) Connection time is 5:35 PM to 8:00PM, which *should* be enough time on a Sunday evening.
2) No flights period without a connection.
3) I did a similar routing JFK-DXB-SIN on EK F last year, and toured for the day last year, and although it was a fantastic opportunity, I remember being *exhausted*
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: January 05, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
Good questions.

1) Connection time is 5:35 PM to 8:00PM, which *should* be enough time on a Sunday evening.
3) I did a similar routing JFK-DXB-SIN on EK F last year, and toured for the day last year, and although it was a fantastic opportunity, I remember being *exhausted*

*Exhausted* is perfect as you can just go and sleep for 8 hours on the A380 bed once you board your flight home.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: January 05, 2016, 03:46:05 PM »
Good questions.

Easy enough to get back from DC area if you miss the connection that I'd skip the long AUH connection if you prefer not to tour for a day. I personally would prefer to tour even if it would mean I'd be exhausted afterward.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: January 05, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »
*Exhausted* is perfect as you can just go and sleep for 8 hours on the A380 bed once you board your flight home.

Ugh, that's a good point. But there's something to being able to just go from flight to flight.

Anyone know, if it's two sep awards, would I get EY chauffeur in AUH?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: January 05, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »
Easy enough to get back from DC area if you miss the connection that I'd skip the long AUH connection if you prefer not to tour for a day.

So I guess comes down to whether we want to tour for the day.

Decisions, decisions.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: January 05, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »

or

What would you do?
I was in a similar situation:
DOH-AUH-LAX with the last leg on EY 77L F, but good connection times or
DOH-AUH-JFK//LGA-CLT-LAX  on EY A380 F, but with not only an airport change, but also a connection flight (though hopefully that will change) and a long layover.

In the end I chose the 2nd option. Like you, I hope to get EY to drive me between airports and think it's worth it for the A380 F.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: January 05, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »
Ugh, that's a good point. But there's something to being able to just go from flight to flight.

Anyone know, if it's two sep awards, would I get EY chauffeur in AUH?

Do you have it booked? See if it lets you reserve one in AUH. I have an Asia-US EY award that is ticket-pending and can try after it's ticketed and post here.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 05, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
Or hop on a plane to CLE for a Chef Dave's DO? Though you missed this: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=17387.msg1372604#msg1372604

He missed a lot more than that, as I got a chance to have some fun on the practice court, shoot a few free throws on the actual court (unfortunately, my FT% is pretty close to TTs), get a few pics with my name on the court, sit on Lebron's throne, and more :)

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 05, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
He missed a lot more than that, as I got a chance to have some fun on the practice court, shoot a few free throws on the actual court (unfortunately, my FT% is pretty close to TTs), get a few pics with my name on the court, sit on Lebron's throne, and more :)
I dont get it- The Cavs have so few fans that all their names are on the court?
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 05, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
I dont get it- The Cavs have so few fans that all their names are on the court?

Hey Dan, you're famous :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 05, 2016, 04:57:38 PM »
I was in a similar situation:
DOH-AUH-LAX with the last leg on EY 77L F, but good connection times or
DOH-AUH-JFK//LGA-CLT-LAX  on EY A380 F, but with not only an airport change, but also a connection flight (though hopefully that will change) and a long layover.

In the end I chose the 2nd option. Like you, I hope to get EY to drive me between airports and think it's worth it for the A380 F.

See, in your shoes, it's less of an issue. I assume F will open up at some point on the day you arrive in JFK, thereby allowing you to avoid the non-sense with switching airports etc.

Do you have it booked? See if it lets you reserve one in AUH. I have an Asia-US EY award that is ticket-pending and can try after it's ticketed and post here.

Nope. On hold. Can't decide between option 1 and option 2.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 05, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
See, in your shoes, it's less of an issue. I assume F will open up at some point on the day you arrive in JFK, thereby allowing you to avoid the non-sense with switching airports etc.

Nope. On hold. Can't decide between option 1 and option 2.
I really hope it does, but it's still adding 2 stops and a day in AUH just to fly EY A380 F even if JFK-LAX opens up.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 05, 2016, 05:33:40 PM »
What's the least amount of on-the-ground time that is reasonably needed to visit Thailand and SIN w/ wife and 2yo? Is 7 days too little?

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: January 05, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »
What's the least amount of on-the-ground time that is reasonably needed to visit Thailand and SIN w/ wife and 2yo? Is 7 days too little?

If you plan on visiting CNX and HKT/USM, you will need 7 days in Thailand alone.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 05, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »
If you plan on visiting CNX and HKT/USM, you will need 7 days in Thailand alone.

How about if we stationed in one of the above places the entire time in Thailand? I'd like to visit SIN and can only find enough availability to AUH from there. Unfortunately, I  won't be able to take off for 2 weeks :(.

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 05, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »
How about if we stationed in one of the above places the entire time in Thailand? I'd like to visit SIN and can only find enough availability to AUH from there. Unfortunately, I  won't be able to take off for 2 weeks :(.

If you want activities, go to CNX. If you want beaches/relaxation, go to USM.
If you're only going to 1 city in Thailand, 7 days is enough to do that and SIN.

(I can't comment on the wife and 2 year old part though)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:54:51 PM by D93 »