Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1214189 times)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4460 on: February 24, 2024, 11:47:24 PM »
This is ridiculous. A screenshot of every return since the order was placed?
Not to mention amazon returns only show the last 2 months

Wow...yes, this is extremely ridiculous, first of all, but how do you even find a list of returned items on Amazon.com? I know that on the page for the individual purchase, you can see whether a credit has been received for returning the item, but how would it even be possible to see a list of all returns over the past two, three or four months?

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: February 24, 2024, 11:55:20 PM »
Wow...yes, this is extremely ridiculous, first of all, but how do you even find a list of returned items on Amazon.com? I know that on the page for the individual purchase, you can see whether a credit has been received for returning the item, but how would it even be possible to see a list of all returns over the past two, three or four months?

yeah im not aware of a way to do that. I'd probably just resort to sending them a list of all of my amazon orders for the requested time period (although that's admittedly an invasion of privacy)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: February 25, 2024, 08:53:58 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/spr/returns/history?ref_=orc_spr_return_center_view_more_returns_ref
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: February 25, 2024, 03:30:03 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/spr/returns/history?ref_=orc_spr_return_center_view_more_returns_ref

Thanks! I had no idea there was even an option to view that. Seeing as they seem to be using the same tactics for multiple customers (although I have yet to be asked for this specifically), I'm sure a lot of us will benefit in the coming months from knowing how to do this! Incidentally, I just checked mine, and indeed it says:

"Returns Center › Your Returns
0 returns placed in past 2 months"

Meaning that this would only go back to the end of December, not November like AmEx Assurance was requesting, so I still don't see how they're expecting anyone to get a screenshot going back more than two months.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:27:40 PM by jl75 »

Offline jc1234

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: February 25, 2024, 09:39:08 PM »
It is not clear to me if the return protection works 1k/year per eligible card or 1k for all cards combined. does anyone know?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: February 25, 2024, 10:05:21 PM »
It is not clear to me if the return protection works 1k/year per eligible card or 1k for all cards combined. does anyone know?

Per card

Offline jc1234

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: February 25, 2024, 11:18:29 PM »
Per card
Oh wow. I have tried calling to ask that and they have never been clear. That is a lot of return insurance lol

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: February 26, 2024, 02:02:47 AM »
Oh wow. I have tried calling to ask that and they have never been clear. That is a lot of return insurance lol
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: February 28, 2024, 01:11:19 AM »
Ok, first and only claim! I got denied! Reason..."During the month of October 2019, AMEX Assurance Company sent you a notification in your statement
informing you that effective 01/01/2020, Return Protection was no longer a benefit on your American Express Card. Therefore, purchases made on or after 01/01/2020 are not eligible for this benefit.".....Why? I had a Hilton Amex Aspire Card! They took forever to do the claim so about 3 days before this letter I did downgrade my card. Does it not qualify if I downgrade the card before the claim is approved? Thought I read you can close it before approved but maybe downgraded is a no no to get approved? Or what did I do wrong?
Respond to them that you changed your card at xx date however at time of purchase it was still the Hilton Amex Aspire Card so purchase is covered under the return protection.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: March 02, 2024, 04:53:01 AM »
Ok, first and only claim! I got denied! Reason..."During the month of October 2019, AMEX Assurance Company sent you a notification in your statement
informing you that effective 01/01/2020, Return Protection was no longer a benefit on your American Express Card. Therefore, purchases made on or after 01/01/2020 are not eligible for this benefit.".....Why? I had a Hilton Amex Aspire Card! They took forever to do the claim so about 3 days before this letter I did downgrade my card. Does it not qualify if I downgrade the card before the claim is approved? Thought I read you can close it before approved but maybe downgraded is a no no to get approved? Or what did I do wrong?

Interesting how they're getting stricter and stricter with (at least some of) us, but at the same time, their employees are making more and more obvious mistakes: From what you're saying, you just downgraded your card this year (2024), yet their excuse for denying your claim is that back in 2019, your bill for a card that you didn't even have before 2024 contained a message that the Return Protection benefit would be eliminated from the non-Aspire Hilton cards starting on 1/1/2020. It would be different if they were saying that they won't approve the claim since you downgraded your card prior to the claim getting approved, but what they're saying is completely false (unless, by chance, you had a non-Aspire Hilton card in 2019, later upgraded that to Aspire, and then re-downgraded it last month...but even then, according to what has generally been said in this thread, your Return Protection benefit should follow the card you had when you made the purchase, not the card you had/have when the claim is being reviewed, so, Aspire). They really ought to check all their own facts before making decisions on these claims, and, like many of us were taught in elementary school, check their work for errors before submitting it.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: March 02, 2024, 12:11:44 PM »
Interesting how they're getting stricter and stricter with (at least some of) us, but at the same time, their employees are making more and more obvious mistakes: From what you're saying, you just downgraded your card this year (2024), yet their excuse for denying your claim is that back in 2019, your bill for a card that you didn't even have before 2024 contained a message that the Return Protection benefit would be eliminated from the non-Aspire Hilton cards starting on 1/1/2020. It would be different if they were saying that they won't approve the claim since you downgraded your card prior to the claim getting approved, but what they're saying is completely false (unless, by chance, you had a non-Aspire Hilton card in 2019, later upgraded that to Aspire, and then re-downgraded it last month...but even then, according to what has generally been said in this thread, your Return Protection benefit should follow the card you had when you made the purchase, not the card you had/have when the claim is being reviewed, so, Aspire). They really ought to check all their own facts before making decisions on these claims, and, like many of us were taught in elementary school, check their work for errors before submitting it.

Agreed, but whether intentional or not it appears their mental model is "just deny the claim(s) and see whether or not the customer makes a fuss about it". They know that 80% of customers are likely to just give up.

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: March 02, 2024, 09:58:52 PM »
I had this a year ago. Don’t think it’s a new thing, it’s just that the underwriter doesn’t realize that you downgraded the card since the purchase and thinks that the purchase was made on a non eligible card, once I pointed that out to them it was immediately approved.

Online Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: March 03, 2024, 07:38:01 PM »
Which Amex cards have purchase/return protection and extended warranty?
Thanks.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: March 03, 2024, 07:39:54 PM »
Which Amex cards have purchase/return protection and extended warranty?
Thanks.

You can find this pretty easily with a google search.

For example, here is purchase protection: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Online Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: March 04, 2024, 06:24:54 AM »
Thanks.
Is this: https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/
still accurate?

At least for Return Protection, yes. I don't believe that American Express has removed Return Protection as a benefit from any additional cards after the 1/1/2020 changes, nor have they added it as a benefit for any card since then, as far as I know. If you want the most up-to-date information about a specific card, though, it's probably best to go to americanexpress.com and look at the details/benefits for that specific card. As a complete list, though, I do believe that the Dan's Deals link that you asked about is the only complete list of these benefits across all AmEx cards.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: March 08, 2024, 11:30:45 AM »
This is ridiculous. A screenshot of every return since the order was placed?
Not to mention amazon returns only show the last 2 months

So i think i know why they asked for this. They ended up denying the claim saying i already got a credit for that amount so i returned it. It was a small item for like $10 or so and i had returned another item also $10 so the refund was the same. They were asking to provide proof that the refund was for a different item. I had sent a letter saying it was an unreasonable request so they denied it. If they had been clear that they saw a refund in the claimed amount and want to confirm the item was not returned (even though the screenshot showed the order was not) and that they want to see what the returned item was i would have done that.
Lesson learned.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: March 08, 2024, 12:29:59 PM »
You can still respond to them with this info.

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: March 08, 2024, 12:43:04 PM »
So i think i know why they asked for this. They ended up denying the claim saying i already got a credit for that amount so i returned it. It was a small item for like $10 or so and i had returned another item also $10 so the refund was the same. They were asking to provide proof that the refund was for a different item. I had sent a letter saying it was an unreasonable request so they denied it. If they had been clear that they saw a refund in the claimed amount and want to confirm the item was not returned (even though the screenshot showed the order was not) and that they want to see what the returned item was i would have done that.
Lesson learned.

You can certainly pursue this further, but for $10 it seems too much hassle.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: March 08, 2024, 03:13:57 PM »
Lesson learned.

My concern would be that after sending them a negative reply like that, that they'd use that against you for future claims (in other words, that you might be calling unwanted attention to yourself and end up with unwanted scrutiny for future claims). That was my same concern when people were posting about having to do video calls and recite their SSN number out loud during the call...I'd probably be one to tell them "no" and that they're being unreasonable, but I'd do so knowing that they might declare me persona-non-grata for Return Protection. Oh, and yes, it's really ridiculous that they put you through all of that for a $10 claim. Why didn't they just ask you to take a photo of the item in front of a newspaper with a date from after the date that you received the refund for the other $10 item? Or simply ask for a screenshot of the order page for both the $10 item that you returned and the other $10 item that you didn't return. Or, God forbid, just ask you to submit the item to them? It seems like instead of making common-sense requests, they're taking the totally hands-off approach, probably--like someone else noted above--just trying to make things hard for us now in the hopes that we'll just give up instead of following through on the process. Anyhow, thanks for the update, and I hope that they won't give you problems with your future claims after denying this one.