Topic Wiki

Thread summary:

Trump walks in a room.

1. Moshe123 shoots at him because he is pure evil, 2. ilherman+hachover jump in front of the bullets because Trump is our savior. 3. aygart tackles Moshe123 because Trump is better than HRC, 4. but Baruch can't stand Trump so he tells aygart he's crazy and Trump is a madman. 5. ExGingi would like to point out that who cares what he is, all that matters is the supreme court nominations. 6. Dan and others aren't really sure how this makes them feel plus they don't really want to drink poison. 7. Spoiler alert: Moshe123's gun was empty, it was just a blank.

And Freddie is in the back of the room just cooking his cholent. Until he announces that there are TWO menu choices, Pareve Cholent or Vegetable Lasagna. While etech0 figured out that they are both poisoned.

Repeat x100.

And then Hilary walks into the room with the most confidence a candidate has had in recent history. She is so confident that she eats both the Pareve Cholent and Vegetable Lasagna. Everyone is the room is aghast, they don't know how this happened, could it be Comey is behind this poisoning or was it that her Obamacare premiums were to high to get her the help she needed.

Everyone stared as she choked and was cast into oblivion on November, 8, 2016 the last day she was heard from in the public eye.

Moshe123, ilherman, hachover, Baruch, ExGingi, Dan, Freddie, etech0, and the rest of America are in total shock and hope that so long as Trump doesn't eat any Pareve Cholent and Vegetable Lasagna and stays true to his supreme court nominees this may be the greatest thing to happen since the CSR and GC's.

But remember this may be the beginning of the end...

P.S. Thanks to cognitive dissonance aygart, Michael Moore, and Scott Adams knew the whole time that Trump could win, unfortunately for JTZ he may be off DDF for the next 4 years due to his mandatory 3 times daily consumption of CROW!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub notes:

Nov 8 : Time to edit the wiki. Biggest upset in American History according to Michael Isikoff.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=57647.0

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump?lang=en
http://blog.dilbert.com/
http://fivethirtyeight.com/
All Political Ads - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvuOH0oJFwElBgRKz-eMlLw

As things turns out, the most prescient view on this election was that of Michael Moore! Though Scott Adams is also claiming a high view level of prescience.

Poll

Who are you voting for?

Clinton
12 (10.3%)
Trump
67 (57.3%)
Johnson
2 (1.7%)
Other (Write in)
8 (6.8%)
I don't vote in general and won't be voting this year
9 (7.7%)
I do vote in general, but won't be this year
19 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: US Politics/2016 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread  (Read 3924512 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread
« Reply #8520 on: November 22, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
MSM Exercise: Who can spot the difference between the headline and the actual Flynn quote?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/22/politics/kfile-michael-flynn-august-speech/index.html
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #8521 on: November 22, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
+1
Now that's an endorsement!

At the rate Dan has been going, you'll have candidates clamoring for his +1 four years from now!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: November 22, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
Now that's an endorsement!

At the rate Dan has been going, you'll have candidates clamoring for his +1 four years from now!
I have also received a PM in the past from the great one. I feel like a pig in you know what.  :)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: November 22, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
Does not being college educated mean they are dummies?
That's what it was when they voted for Obama. You can't have it both ways.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #8527 on: November 22, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
That's what it was when they voted for Obama. You can't have it both ways.
Who attributed it to that? If you mean Limbaugh's low-information voter that is not a statement on cognitive abilities but of their interest in the issues.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #8528 on: November 22, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »
Does not being college educated mean they are dummies?

Of course not. And you know that I know that. You are being purposefully dishonest, just as you were with this comment:

It is amazing how the same people who said not to vote for trump because of the things he said he was going to do are now saying how he won't do any of those things.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: November 22, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »
Of course not. And you know that I know that. You are being purposefully dishonest, just as you were with this comment:
What did he say that was dishonest?
Or assuming you really meant to say disingenuous, what did he say that was disingenuous?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #8530 on: November 22, 2016, 04:37:23 PM »
I have also received a PM in the past from the great one. I feel like a pig in you know what.  :)
Talking of which in this forum, here's a brief cultural taste: http://conversationalyiddish.com/a-taste-of-yiddish-3-44/  ;)
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: November 22, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »
MSM Exercise: Who can spot the difference between the headline and the actual Flynn quote?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/22/politics/kfile-michael-flynn-august-speech/index.html
Please tell me it's not '1.7 billion people' vs 'all Muslims'.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: November 22, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »
Please tell me it's not '1.7 billion people' vs 'all Muslims'.
No.

The headline sounds as if each individual Muslim has the Islamist cancer that must be excised. What he actually said likened the $1.7BB people to a body in which there is a growing cancer.

His words are not even slightly controversial. Only the CNN headline is.

ETA: Compare "vicious cancer in body of all Muslims" with "vicious cancer inside the body of 1.7 billion people." The difference is subtle but profound, and it's not an accident.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:57:22 PM by good sam »

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: November 22, 2016, 04:53:47 PM »
Talking of which in this forum, here's a brief cultural taste: http://conversationalyiddish.com/a-taste-of-yiddish-3-44/  ;)
Lets leave Trump out of this.   :P

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: November 22, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
No.

The headline sounds as if each individual Muslim has the Islamist cancer that must be excised. What he actually said likened the $1.7BB people to a body in which there is a growing cancer.

ETA: Compare "vicious cancer in body of all Muslims" with "vicious cancer inside the body of 1.7 billion people." The difference is subtle but profound, and it's not an accident.

It's still up for interpretation, because it can mean that 1.7b have cancer inside them, the way he said it. Body can mean "my body" or a "body of people".
Visibly Jewish

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #8535 on: November 22, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
No.

Oh brother. Listen, it's not impossible that his intention with those words was in line with your reading - which is why I agree that it's inappropriate to re-frame quotes in general - but I find their reading far more likely given the full quote (and speech) than yours. If anything, I find your interpretation easier to read into CNN's 'version' of the quote than the actual quote.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: November 22, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »
It's still up for interpretation, because it can mean that 1.7b have cancer inside them, the way he said it. Body can mean "my body" or a "body of people".
His words were "body of people." If he meant it the other way, he would have said "in the 'bodies' of 1.7 billion people."

It would be asinine to say the cancer is in the body of each and every Muslim, and the CNN reporter knows that.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: November 22, 2016, 05:24:36 PM »
Oh brother. Listen, it's not impossible that his intention with those words was in line with your reading - which is why I agree that it's inappropriate to re-frame quotes in general - but I find their reading far more likely given the full quote (and speech) than yours. If anything, I find your interpretation easier to read into CNN's 'version' of the quote than the actual quote.
You need to work on your critical reading skills.

CNN said: Cancer in the body of all Muslims. The only way to understand this is that each Muslim has the cancer.

Flynn said: Cancer inside the body of 1.7 billion people. Like Yuneeq said, "a body of people."

CNN deliberately (I suppose) misinterpreted his analogy.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: November 22, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »
No.

Did he actually say "inside the body of 1.7 billion people" or "inside a body of 1.7 billion people"? If anyone actually listened, please point out the point where he says that quote.
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: November 22, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »
You need to work on your critical reading skills.
I practically learned how to learn a gemara with you, whose fault is that. ;D
CNN said: Cancer in the body of all Muslims. The only way to understand this is that each Muslim has the cancer.
FTFY. The corrected phrasing is actually easier to understand your way (if only because headlines often omit articles - the part of speech). It's a cancer in a body. Which body? The body comprised of all Muslims. I of course agree with you that their intention is to show that Flynn is prejudiced against the entire religion.
Flynn said: Cancer inside the body of 1.7 billion people. Like Yuneeq said, "a body of people."
The inclusion of quantity (1.7 billion) makes that reading difficult. He could have said Islamism is a cancer in the body of Islam. Or in the body of the collective body of 1.7 billion people. Or a million other clearer ways.

I find it hard to believe that you truly only see one way to interpret his actual statement. It's poorly worded, and certainly vague enough to allow CNN's interpretation. I think for that very reason, it's irresponsible of CNN to choose the interpretation that fits their narrative. This is certainly not a particularly good example of this problem in the media though.

At the same time, if you ask me based on what I've read of his words, whether Flynn holds the viewpoint they ascribe to him, I'd guess that he does. I'm not particularly certain of it though, and honestly it wouldn't bother me all that much. But I do think you're playing the same linguistic games here that they are.