Topic Wiki

If your charge posted after Saturday and was swiped on Saturday call 800-297-7500 (tell them you used your cards on Saturday, and also mention all your cards you used).
« Last edited by DoGo on December 12, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »

Author Topic: AmEx Small Business Saturday  (Read 594747 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY IS BACK!!!!! NOV 26
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2011, 12:33:40 AM »
Last year the owner of the kosher grocery store in CLE just let me use one of the cc terminals to swipe and charge all my cards :D

Did he notice the $2500 credit you ran (by mistake of course) on one card? :P
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »
Did he notice the $2500 credit you ran (by mistake of course) on one card? :P
'Twas a she.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline APoshiterYid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2011, 01:18:24 AM »
I noticed in the ToS it says: “Additionally, if you received a $25 statement credit in connection with Small Business Saturday through American Express’ offer on Facebook or Foursquare, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit through this offer.”
So does anyone know what promotion this is referring to?

Also, just funny how they picked Saturday of all days, kinda makes you wonder... ;)
If you have my email PLEASE don't PM me :)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2011, 01:19:19 AM »
I noticed in the ToS it says: “Additionally, if you received a $25 statement credit in connection with Small Business Saturday through American Express’ offer on Facebook or Foursquare, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit through this offer.”

Also, just funny how they picked Saturday of all days, kinda makes you wonder... ;)

the LL&L promotion

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »
I noticed in the ToS it says: ?Additionally, if you received a $25 statement credit in connection with Small Business Saturday through American Express? offer on Facebook or Foursquare, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit through this offer.?

I'm guessing 'facebook' isn't referring to the recent Fedex promo...

Offline APoshiterYid

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2011, 01:45:17 AM »
the LL&L promotion
Since when was LL&L called Small Business Saturday?...

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2011, 01:45:59 AM »
he was referring to link like love

Offline APoshiterYid

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2011, 01:52:43 AM »
he was referring to link like love
Yes, hence the question: Since when was LLL called SBS?

(As per my original post quoting the ToS it says: “Additionally, if you received a $25 statement credit in connection with Small Business Saturday through American Express’ offer on Facebook or Foursquare, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit through this offer.”)

---

Sorry if this post has become totally convoluted, lets start fresh :)

Amex ToS refers to a SBS through FB/FS. People have said that this is referring to the FB/FS LL&L Promo. My question is, that the ToS specifically calls it SBS, not LL&L, so what are these people basing their statements on?

Shkoyach!

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »
Yes, hence the question: Since when was LLL called SBS?

(As per my original post quoting the ToS it says: “Additionally, if you received a $25 statement credit in connection with Small Business Saturday through American Express’ offer on Facebook or Foursquare, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit through this offer.”)

---

Sorry if this post has become totally convoluted, lets start fresh :)

Amex ToS refers to a SBS through FB/FS. People have said that this is referring to the FB/FS LL&L Promo. My question is, that the ToS specifically calls it SBS, not LL&L, so what are these people basing their statements on?

Shkoyach!

Since AMEX has the small business promotion to sign up for under LL&L. Did you even try going to FB to check?

Offline APoshiterYid

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
A
Since AMEX has the small business promotion to sign up for under LL&L. Did you even try going to FB to check?
At most that would show that this current promotion is under LLL, not that the previous LLL has been referred to anywhere as SBS...

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
ill gladly charge you $25 :P
and then refund lets say 20?
I can't see why not... any downside on my end?
JW would it be an issue for taxes, would you need to report it as income?
I don't see any problem with this. You can open a store selling $20 Bills and charge $25 for them. Totally legit, just you would have no customers (aside from on Nov. 26th :)

You probably would have to report income of $5 on each transaction ($25 Sales with a $20 deduction). Additionally you could deduct the 75 cent fee that Amex charges you. Basically you would have taxable gain of $4.25 on each transaction. Which means you still make money on each transaction. Assuming you're in the 28% bracket, you pay $1.19 tax and keep $3.06.

Do 100 such transactions make $306. Do 1000 transactions make $3,060!!!!

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2011, 12:09:26 PM »
I don't see any problem with this. You can open a store selling $20 Bills and charge $25 for them. Totally legit, just you would have no customers (aside from on Nov. 26th :)

You probably would have to report income of $5 on each transaction ($25 Sales with a $20 deduction). Additionally you could deduct the 75 cent fee that Amex charges you. Basically you would have taxable gain of $4.25 on each transaction. Which means you still make money on each transaction. Assuming you're in the 28% bracket, you pay $1.19 tax and keep $3.06.

could be seen as money laundering and lead to an investigation even though it isnt

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »

I would consult a lawyer. If you're doing this in high volumes it probably relates to other potentially illegal stuff (e.g. money laundering). Personally, I'd err on the side of caution with something like this.

On top of that, if there are any legal implications to this, it would be hard to come across as honest when you tell them you were trying to exploit an Amex promotion.

/IANAL

could be seen as money laundering and lead to an investigation even though it isnt

Now you're onto me as well :P?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
I would consult a lawyer. If you're doing this in high volumes it probably relates to other potentially illegal stuff (e.g. money laundering). Personally, I'd err on the side of caution with something like this.
On top of that, if there are any legal implications to this, it would be hard to come across as honest when you tell them you were trying to exploit an Amex promotion.
as well :P?
Wikipedia defines money laundering as:   

Money laundering is the process of disguising illegal sources of money so that it looks like it came from legal sources.

The governmental body dealing with money laundering is the FATF. They define money laundering as:
The goal of a large number of criminal acts is to generate a profit for the individual or group that carries out the act. Money laundering is the processing of these criminal proceeds to disguise their illegal origin. This process is of critical importance, as it enables the criminal to enjoy these profits without jeopardising their source.
Illegal arms sales, smuggling, and the activities of organised crime, including for example drug trafficking and prostitution rings, can generate huge amounts of proceeds. Embezzlement, insider trading, bribery and computer fraud schemes can also produce large profits and create the incentive to “legitimise” the ill-gotten gains through money laundering.
When a criminal activity generates substantial profits, the individual or group involved must find a way to control the funds without attracting attention to the underlying activity or the persons involved. Criminals do this by disguising the sources, changing the form, or moving the funds to a place where they are less likely to attract attention.
In response to mounting concern over money laundering, the Financial Action Task Force on money laundering (FATF) was established by the G-7 Summit in Paris in 1989 to develop a co-ordinated international response. One of the first tasks of the FATF was to develop Recommendations, 40 in all, which set out the measures national governments should take to implement effective anti-money laundering programmes.

Many people have misconceptions about what is and is not money laundering. When I was buying dollar coins from the mint a family member said they thought I was laundering money.

There is absolutely no money laundering involved in selling $20 bills for $25!!!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »
Wikipedia defines money laundering as:   

Many people have misconceptions about what is and is not money laundering. When I was buying dollar coins from the mint a family member said they thought I was laundering money.

There is absolutely no money laundering involved in selling $20 bills for $25!!!

Are you a lawyer? Wikipedia definitely isn't, and you can't use "But Wikipedia said..." as an excuse in court.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2011, 12:36:11 PM »
Are you a lawyer? Wikipedia definitely isn't, and you can't use "But Wikipedia said..." as an excuse in court.

Wanna bet? :P

(OK, technically not as an excuse, but Wiki has been cited as authoritative by at least one Federal Court of Appeals.)

That being said, +1.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
(OK, technically not as an excuse, but Wiki has been cited as authoritative by at least one Federal Court of Appeals.)

Really? Can you please link me to the details? (I'm convinced there's an integral part of the story you're omitting, which would explain the 'precedent')

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
Can the FATF be  used in court?

I'm not a lawyer either but I know that selling $20 bills won't get me put in jail for murder or grand theft auto either!
My point is that money laundering is a term that gets thrown around very often by laypeople to describe many acts that have nothing to do with money laundering.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »
My point is that money laundering is a term that gets thrown around very often by laypeople to describe many acts that have nothing to do with money laundering.

And wire fraud (and other such similar ambiguous infractions) are charges that are stuck to people when they want to convict them but don't have anything legitimate. People go to prison that way all the time.

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »
Would Citi American Express Virtual Numbers work ??