Author Topic: Ecommerce  (Read 4170 times)

Offline RoboJam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Re: Ecommerce
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
@RoboJam what's your connection there,  I see you'r on their home page :D
I own the joint!!  ;D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is to serve as a bad example

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
I own the joint!!  ;D

Was wondering why you were plugging it so hard  :D

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 12:31:21 AM »
Site speed wont be any more of an issue than if you had only 10 SKUs. Its not like they give you a dedicated server, you share the same server as any other Mom & Pop website. Same goes for quick search results.
Volusions servers are pretty reliable and as long as you dont have 20K customers clicking to your site at once, they should be able to handle that sort of SKU volume.
Volusion offers semi-dedicated and dedicated servers as well. Plus if you're on a Volusion plan that's not on a dedicated, your bandwidth bills for those 20K customers are going to be astronomical.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »
I have built several larger scale Ecom sites over the past few years. I use magento for most of my more serious clients. (Never even considered enterprise after I sat down with Roy rubin (CEO of magento) and Yoav Kutner and they explained exactly what it is)

I spent a month in India this year with an outsourced team and 2 months in Ukraine working on magento.

I will never trust volusion again, I have recently been in talks with bigcommerce though.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »
I have built several larger scale Ecom sites over the past few years. I use magento for most of my more serious clients. (Never even considered enterprise after I sat down with Roy rubin (CEO of magento) and Yoav Kutner and they explained exactly what it is)

I spent a month in India this year with an outsourced team and 2 months in Ukraine working on magento.

I will never trust volusion again, I have recently been in talks with bigcommerce though.
If I was starting a site today I would not go with Enterprise, but I built my site a few years ago and was sold on it. Now everyone tells me that downgrading will be too complicated and break lots of my existing modules, and cost me $20K plus all the lost revenue and headaches from trying to get all the conflicts resolved. So I just sit back and take the annual $14K hit.

Ukraine = Gorilla?

What's your issue with Volusion?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline RoboJam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »
If I was starting a site today I would not go with Enterprise, but I built my site a few years ago and was sold on it. Now everyone tells me that downgrading will be too complicated and break lots of my existing modules, and cost me $20K plus all the lost revenue and headaches from trying to get all the conflicts resolved. So I just sit back and take the annual $14K hit.

Ukraine = Gorilla?

How does your math add up?
Paying Once 20K + is still less than 14K each year. Its not a few hundred dollar difference, this is serious money, after 2 years your migration is paid up.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is to serve as a bad example

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
How does your math add up?
Paying Once 20K + is still less than 14K each year. Its not a few hundred dollar difference, this is serious money, after 2 years your migration is paid up.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
Another problem: all the big development firms are in bed with Magento and won't work on a Community site.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

Ukraine = Gorilla?

Outsource it. Shouldn't cost you more than 10k with a mediocre firm.

No, not gorilla. (Did you know magento was actually conceived and developed in Ukraine? They only recently moved to SF)

Had a client on them way back. Got disgusted and never looked at them again
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »
I'm done with mediocre firms. It only ends up costing you more in the long run (yes Robo, even factoring in the $14K annual hit).

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Capital One Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
I'm done with mediocre firms. It only ends up costing you more in the long run (yes Robo, even factoring in the $14K annual hit).
I use magento community and have found some great developers on oDesk. Unless you have some major eCommerce site I do not understand the need for the enterprise version.
It's what is on the outside that matters

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
I've used oDesk to find good Volusion devs for cheap. My Magento site is too sensitive for anything less than the best.

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

anything come of that talk, we're  looking at bigcommerce right now as a new option