Author Topic: Amex Pop up/ bonus jail  (Read 6231 times)

Offline nsastamps

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Amex Pop up/ bonus jail
« on: July 05, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »
I keep getting the “you are not eligible for bonus” pop up on Amex Schwab despite me  never having that card. I also haven’t canceled any cards recently and my spending is healthy on all 4 of my Amex cards. Anyone with any solid DP on getting around it? I’ve called once as well.

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Pop up/ bonus jail
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 08:25:13 PM »
When applying got the same message.
Try the following.

1. Reset your internet identity. Use a diffrent browser and if possible use a diffrent internet connection such as US based VPN etc...
Can't hurt to clear browsing history, Cache etc...

2. Even if it gives you that message still click continue go all the way through with the application  and if it denies you at least that have to tell you a reason why instead of just making up a reason.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 08:34:38 PM »
When applying got the same message.
Try the following.

1. Reset your internet identity. Use a diffrent browser and if possible use a diffrent internet connection such as US based VPN etc...
Can't hurt to clear browsing history, Cache etc...
You practically found that that helped? I thought the popup is based off of the info that you put in, not your cookies/cache.

2. Even if it gives you that message still click continue go all the way through with the application  and if it denies you at least that have to tell you a reason why instead of just making up a reason.
I thought this has nothing to do with approval/rejection, just whether you get the SUB or not. You can still get the card after the popup just no SUB, so if you get denied I don't think it's because of the popup. And if you don't get the SUB I don't think they have to tell you why- they only have to give you a reason if they don't want to approve the card, no?

Offline Shmulyg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 09:48:26 PM »
I believe DoC recently reported that it will be counted as a regular plat with regard to SUBs

Offline nsastamps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 11:18:42 PM »
I believe DoC recently reported that it will be counted as a regular plat with regard to SUBs
"Update 7/5/21: One recent data point confirms that AmEx is still giving bonuses on each version of Platinum separately – reader ausd reports getting the regular Platinum a year ago and successfully getting the bonus on a Schwab Platinum now, after the terms change.

Update: Readers note that the terms are more likely meant to consider both the $695 Platinum and the $550 Platinum to be a single product. Separate versions of the Platinum, such as standard and Schwab are probably still considered separately for the purposes of signup bonuses."

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 07:04:50 AM »
You practically found that that helped? I thought the popup is based off of the info that you put in, not your cookies/cache.
I thought this has nothing to do with approval/rejection, just whether you get the SUB or not. You can still get the card after the popup just no SUB, so if you get denied I don't think it's because of the popup. And if you don't get the SUB I don't think they have to tell you why- they only have to give you a reason if they don't want to approve the card, no?

Yup on like 4 diffrent cards I tried and then when I used a VPN and a diffrent browser in "Private Browsing" I still got the message but clicked continue and got approved on the spot.

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 07:31:50 AM »
Yup on like 4 diffrent cards I tried and then when I used a VPN and a diffrent browser in "Private Browsing" I still got the message but clicked continue and got approved on the spot.
And you got the SUB when you hit the minimum spend? AFAIK the pop is not about getting the card or not, it's about getting the SUB.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »
The pop up won’t prevent you from getting the card, just the SUB. Amex doesn’t mind if you get the same card multiple times. Let us know if the bonus posts.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 02:56:35 PM »
How do they calculate if you get the SUB or not?

I got this on message on multiple Amex cards after only having one credit card in the lifetime....

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 11:57:49 PM »
How do they calculate if you get the SUB or not?

I got this on message on multiple Amex cards after only having one credit card in the lifetime....
Many factors, probably including how many cards you've opened and how often; how often and how soon you close cards; spending on existing cards (ppl say this is a big one), and probably other factors too.

Spending regularly on all your existing cards is probably the single most helpful thing that you can do about it as far as I've heard.

Offline nsastamps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 01:08:09 AM »
Many factors, probably including how many cards you've opened and how often; how often and how soon you close cards; spending on existing cards (ppl say this is a big one), and probably other factors too.

Spending regularly on all your existing cards is probably the single most helpful thing that you can do about it as far as I've heard.
Unfortunately not in my case

Btw for those who just try daily, not sure if makes a difference or not but Amex keeps tabs on how many attempts there were even if you canceled application once you received pop up. Can be checked here:

https://online.americanexpress.com/eaol/statusCheckAction.do

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
Amex No Welcome Offer Message
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 12:02:42 PM »
I was applying for the Amex Green personal card since I get a discount of $75 on the annual fee from my corporate card. I got this message from Amex on the web page even though I'm pretty sure I've never had this Green personal card:

DANIEL, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer. In determining eligibility, we considered your history with credit card balance transfers, your history as an American Express Card Member, the number of credit cards that you have opened and closed and other factors.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Note: Your application will be considered withdrawn if no action is taken on this page.

Is this the standard message when you've already had the card before? I really don't think I've ever had the Green card before.

Offline theyankel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Amex No Welcome Offer Message
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 01:27:32 PM »
I was applying for the Amex Green personal card since I get a discount of $75 on the annual fee from my corporate card. I got this message from Amex on the web page even though I'm pretty sure I've never had this Green personal card:

DANIEL, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer. In determining eligibility, we considered your history with credit card balance transfers, your history as an American Express Card Member, the number of credit cards that you have opened and closed and other factors.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Note: Your application will be considered withdrawn if no action is taken on this page.

Is this the standard message when you've already had the card before? I really don't think I've ever had the Green card before.
call amex applications to confirm

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
Re: Amex No Welcome Offer Message
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 01:50:34 PM »
call amex applications to confirm
I did and they weren't very helpful. They just said that they don't have any additional details into the reason and it's just based on what the pop up says. What I'm trying to figure out is if this popup is the standard one that gets sent if you've had the card or if there's some other reason. I haven't done anything odd or nefarious at all and I haven't even closed any Amex cards recently.

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile

Online lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 04:31:58 PM »
I did and they weren't very helpful. They just said that they don't have any additional details into the reason and it's just based on what the pop up says. What I'm trying to figure out is if this popup is the standard one that gets sent if you've had the card or if there's some other reason. I haven't done anything odd or nefarious at all and I haven't even closed any Amex cards recently.
Have you been using their cards recently.
That has an affect.
Use them for a bit and try again

Offline Mareh Makom

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2023, 03:10:10 PM »
My wife and I have been in pop up prison for a few months. A friend and his wife have recently joined me here to. I haven't been spending much on all my cards, so started to do that. They say the best thing to do is increase spending on cards(about $500 a month). Other than that all i can say is... welcome to pop up prison!

Offline monsey yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2023, 12:08:51 AM »
If you charge a lot for at least 3 months will almost certainly take you out from the pop up jail
If you like my post give me a like!

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2023, 03:36:34 PM »
If you charge a lot for at least 3 months will almost certainly take you out from the pop up jail
I spend a lot but I am still in the 'pop up jail'. I guess YMMV
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline monsey yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2023, 07:28:54 PM »
I spend a lot but I am still in the 'pop up jail'. I guess YMMV

Interesting, how much did you spend?
If you like my post give me a like!