Author Topic: What Is The Greatest Travel Hack You Did?  (Read 58671 times)

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: What Is The Greatest Travel Hack Want to Try
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2022, 11:08:06 PM »
Is there a airbandb method. Asking for a friend.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: What Is The Greatest Travel Hack You Did?
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2022, 10:58:48 AM »
Lakewood, Ontario?
No and not Lakewood OH or CO either.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shmelke

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Shlepper Class
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2022, 06:21:02 PM »
Was traveling from CLE to OGG via DFW in February 2021, had a relatively long stopover, and was trying to figure out a way to get some kosher wine that could be drunk during the lay over, as this was my birthday trip.

I called the Bar Symon in CLE and asked to speak to the manager and I left him a message. He called me back, and I asked if he could get some kosher wine in for sale on the day of my flight. He said he was able to do so.

On the day of the flight, we stop at the bar, which is a priority pass bar, and the manager was there with a bag and three bottles of kosher wine. We paid for it with the PP for myself and a guest, and took it on the plane.

We got badly delayed in DFW (this is another saga) and we wound up in the Centurion Lounge in DFW, where I complained that I can't drink the non kosher wine, and would they mind opening my bottle, which they did!

That was fun, a couple other members here should have the pics of the wine in the lounge, I cant find it.
What’s blue but not heavy???
Light Blue!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2022, 06:53:40 PM »
Was traveling from CLE to OGG via DFW in February 2021, had a relatively long stopover, and was trying to figure out a way to get some kosher wine that could be drunk during the lay over, as this was my birthday trip.

I called the Bar Symon in CLE and asked to speak to the manager and I left him a message. He called me back, and I asked if he could get some kosher wine in for sale on the day of my flight. He said he was able to do so.

On the day of the flight, we stop at the bar, which is a priority pass bar, and the manager was there with a bag and three bottles of kosher wine. We paid for it with the PP for myself and a guest, and took it on the plane.

We got badly delayed in DFW (this is another saga) and we wound up in the Centurion Lounge in DFW, where I complained that I can't drink the non kosher wine, and would they mind opening my bottle, which they did!

That was fun, a couple other members here should have the pics of the wine in the lounge, I cant find it.
Brilliant really. Just a pity it wasn't a better bottle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSkMVlLGjy/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2022, 11:19:52 PM »
Getting a full size SUV at National even when none is in the isle.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2022, 11:54:07 PM »
1. Were the keys in the vehicle?
2 what status?

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2022, 01:05:41 AM »

Took it anyway and drove out with good luck or a real hack?

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2022, 01:18:51 AM »
Took it anyway and drove out with good luck or a real hack?
as long as the keys are in the vehicle, you can take any vehicle you want and no one will stop you unless you ask

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2022, 07:25:07 AM »
No and not Lakewood OH or CO either.
was it $9 US or $9 CA?

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2022, 07:39:05 AM »
2 stories. I wouldn't call them hacks but HACK"S: Hashem's Always Controlling, Knowing, Saving (if you can think of a better acronym, feel free to let me know)

1. I was returning to Israel and was asked by a few people to bring stuff back plus i had stuff for my family/kids. i probably had 10 pounds of my own stuff and 50-60 of other peoples, but i sorta just hoped it would work out. I was flying Lufthansa (before the "incident") and i've had issues with them before regarding baggage. I got to the desk and the scale just happened to be broken. Doing favors for others never hurts you.

2. DD helped me with this one half a year ago. We booked to JFK/Newark from Ben Gurion with British and were planning to drive down the coast, around 2/3 hours to where my family lives. British cancelled out IL to UK flight and gave us a 12 hour stopover. During the night. With 8 kids. I called them up and they said they would try to help. I let them know that i was really aiming for a city farther south and they gave us a better timed flight with El Al to Heathrow and then a direct flight to our home city. For the same price as the IL to JFK flight which was around $300 cheaper (x9=$2700). It was such a Bracha from Hashem that we didnt have to make the drive from and to the farther airport. 

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2022, 07:51:25 AM »
and 50-60 of other peoples

I dug really deep and still couldn't find a worse idea.

Doing favors for others never hurts you.

This does not in any way justify the stupidity and danger of the above.

Just a PSA.

EDIT, after getting some sleep:
Maybe I shouldn't post critical comments after not sleeping for two days. I read that as bringing stuff from "50-60 other people", which is indeed extremely dumb. Quite different than taking 50-60 pounds of stuff from someone you know and trust........
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:46:52 PM by Something Fishy »
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2022, 07:55:37 AM »

Just a PSA.
"other peoples" doesn't have to mean strangers.
Is there no one you trust enough to do a favor and bring something for?

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2022, 08:18:53 AM »

Just a PSA.

i am in no way stupid or reckless. first of all, most of that stuff was for my family and kids that i purchased myself. secondly, before i take anything of for anyone i let them know that i will go through it all and pack it myself. i have no interest in sitting in jail.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2022, 01:47:25 PM »
@Moshe Green see my edit above 🙈🙈🙈
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2022, 01:54:22 PM »
i am in no way stupid or reckless.

"But if you were from Chelm you probably wouldn't think it was so dumb to be from Chelm."

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2022, 06:48:10 PM »
I was looking for a long-term SUV rental (11 months) anywhere in the US. The cheapest SUV rate I found was $6,340 ($576/month) at a small Avis location in Memphis, TN. The location had horrible reviews, all of them with the complaint that when they showed up to pick up the rental, the location was sold out. I was doubly worried since I obviously didn't want to fly down and find out that they didn't have a car for me, but I also wanted to ensure that they would have an SUV available and wouldn't try to downgrade me to a Sedan. It occurred to me that I can rent a car in Memphis Airport (which has an Avis Preferred Aisle so I'd be more likely to get something to fit my taste) and set the return location at the smaller office where my SUV was scheduled to be picked up for the 11 month rental. After receiving confirmation from a fellow DDF'er that locations commonly allow you to drop off a vehicle and then check it out again right away under a different reservation, I went ahead and booked the Memphis Airport rental. It cost me $200+ for just 24 hours but I decided it was worth it in an effort to prevent heartache down the line.
Lo and behold the night before I was scheduled to pick up my long term rental I received a call from the local Avis location that I shouldn't bother to show up for my reservation since they were out of vehicles. I explained to them that I was actually dropping off a vehicle at the same time as my pickup was scheduled for, and that they should please hold the reservation open since they will have a vehicle for me as soon as I drop it off. The guy was a bit confused by the dropoff and then pickup shpiel, but after checking his dropoff list he confirmed that I was indeed on it and that I can check out the same vehicle again for my reservation!

Additionally:
-Avis long-term rentals (referred to as a "mini-lease") are not set up as one long term rental, but rather at pickup they had me sign 11 contracts for 1/11th of the price, each for 30 days. Each month at the close of the contract they send me an invoice for 1/11th of the total and bill my card (card is charged after the 30 days wraps up, not before) so I didn't have to put up the full $6k in advance.
-On the 11 contracts I signed at pickup, the pickup date and mileage were blank. Each months on the day the contract rolls over I receive a call from Avis inquiring as to the current mileage reading (the reservation has unlimited miles so this doesn't matter price-wise), and they then send me an updated contract that has the pickup date (the start of the current 30 day period) and mileage filled in. This allows me to be covered by my credit card CDW insurance, as no single rental contract exceeds 30 days.
-I booked my reservation on Prime Day, when Avis cashback at Amazon (https://www.avis.com/en/offers/partners/amazon-benefits) was 20% (note that the Amazon offer only applies to the base rate), so I'm receiving that each month as well! That brings my effective monthly rate down to ~$500 including insurance:)

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2022, 11:12:24 PM »

Just a PSA.

Maybe I shouldn't post critical comments after not sleeping for two days. I read that as bringing stuff from "50-60 other people", which is indeed extremely dumb. Quite different than taking 50-60 pounds of stuff from someone you know and trust........
How did 50-60 people even fit inside one suitcase? Must have been really claustrophobic...

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2022, 11:15:55 PM »
How did 50-60 people even fit inside one suitcase? Must have been really claustrophobic...
You're asking questions on Gulliver?

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2022, 11:16:56 PM »
YOU also NEED some SLEEP!
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2022, 11:50:31 PM »
Who remembers the good old Sears unlimited Continental OnePass aka mileageplus trick? You were able to earn as much miles as you needed. Statue of limitations is long gone, so I am not afraid anymore......I had some sleepless nights after this Best buy (I think it was BB) couple was arrested for a similar scheme. I did not abuse it, just topped up when needed some extras. We go back to 2011-2012.