Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 489402 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2500 on: July 22, 2020, 03:14:20 PM »
Those payment are not listed at all in her labor account.
All the payments that are listed in her labor account were already deposited previously.

That's a nice gift! Could be they accidentally mixed up your bank account info with someone else's account...
I'd say if you want to save yourself trouble further down the line call or send them a message via the message center. Let us know if they let you keep it ;)

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: July 22, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »
That's a nice gift! Could be they accidentally mixed up your bank account info with someone else's account...
I'd say if you want to save yourself trouble further down the line call or send them a message via the message center. Let us know if they let you keep it ;)
I do not have UI for myself. Should i send a message from my DW labor account? the bank account is only under my name.
I called my bank to see if they have more info for whom the deposit was intended, but they said that they don't.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: July 22, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
I do not have UI for myself. Should i send a message from my DW labor account? the bank account is only under my name.
I called my bank to see if they have more info for whom the deposit was intended, but they said that they don't.

Yes, you can use her account. The mixup must somehow be related to that if her deposits are usually routed to this account.
The bank account holder and the UI claimant name don't need to match.

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: July 22, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »
@cgr  My daughter is looking for work since March when Covid hit, and she can't find any work. She is 18. I understand that she is eligible for the $600/week. Am I right? When I go online to apply it asks for the last date of employment, how do I fill this out? There was NO last date of employment?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: July 22, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »
@cgr  My daughter is looking for work since March when Covid hit, and she can't find any work. She is 18. I understand that she is eligible for the $600/week. Am I right? When I go online to apply it asks for the last date of employment, how do I fill this out? There was NO last date of employment?

Unless she actually landed a job and had an offer of employment but the employer rescinded due to Covid, then no, she is not eligible.
And again, there's no such a thing as receiving just FPUC ($600). It's only issued with a weekly UI/PUA payment- you're not on unemployment otherwise.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: July 22, 2020, 04:05:37 PM »
looking for work since March when Covid hit, and can't find any work.

I resent the bochurim for spreading this misconception >:(

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: July 22, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »
Unless she actually landed a job and had an offer of employment but the employer rescinded due to Covid, then no, she is not eligible.
And again, there's no such a thing as receiving just FPUC ($600). It's only issued with a weekly UI/PUA payment- you're not on unemployment otherwise.

So those ads advertising PUI without employment history is COMPLETELY bogus?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: July 22, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »
So those ads advertising PUI without employment history is COMPLETELY bogus?
Sort of. You are eligible with no employment history if you had a job offer, which is not the same as having employment history so you can technically phrase that either way. I guess they manufacture an offer for you?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: July 22, 2020, 04:10:11 PM »

If she usually does babysitting or the like and couldn't work when covid hit, that would be a qualifying claim though.

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: July 22, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
If she usually does babysitting or the like and couldn't work when covid hit, that would be a qualifying claim though.

But if she did informal babysitting, she likely never reported it on a tax return. Wouldn't that be a problem?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: July 22, 2020, 04:57:43 PM »
But if she did informal babysitting, she likely never reported it on a tax return. Wouldn't that be a problem?
Most people who earn less than 12k never file a return so that's not a requirement (that's for federal. Minimum income for a return varies by state). The only requirement is to show proof of previous income, not necessarily a tax return. Obviously if you're showing proof above 12k (or your state's minimum) you'll be in trouble, but showing proof of a few hundred dollars with no corresponding return is perfectly okay.

The only issue with claiming on jobs like these is the proof- not the actual eligibility. It's notoriously difficult to prove cash income but it's doable. If you deposit the cash in the bank, the bank statement will do nicely. If you don't, try finding texts/emails that show your hourly rate and gig commitments. It's a pain, but depending on how long you were out of work it could be worth it.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: July 22, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »

Thanks!

Ok, that is something she was doing on the side. So if she is not doing it anymore, she is fine?

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: July 22, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »
@cgr She started babysitting in 2020 when she turned 18, no tax returns, no proof of payment. Anything she can do?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: July 22, 2020, 05:45:33 PM »
@cgr She started babysitting in 2020 when she turned 18, no tax returns, no proof of payment. Anything she can do?

I'll PM you.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: July 22, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »
People are paying $3,000 for (bogus) help with unemployment  ???

I'd like to put out the call once again for people to support the efforts of @cgr by donating to the link in the wiki. She answers questions all day and night. The LRRC gets donations and a lot of government funding. She has evolved into a one-woman organization, answering all the questions for free.

I'm certain that she could advertise "Get help with UI for $100/hour" and she would have steady business. She chooses to be a free resource to everyone here.

If you got help from her, give a few dollars. You can edit the link in the wiki (after you copy it to your address bar) to put in whatever amount you wish to give.

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: July 22, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »
I applied over the phone in ny and went through for all previous weeks, now I got a email  to certify for each Previous week do I need to do that ?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: July 22, 2020, 10:20:27 PM »
I applied over the phone in ny and went through for all previous weeks, now I got a email  to certify for each Previous week do I need to do that ?

If you got your funds then no, it's was automated to go out before you claimed and you only got it now.

Offline lifetimedeals

• View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: July 22, 2020, 10:33:18 PM »
at which number?

Offline tov hashem

• View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: July 23, 2020, 12:11:59 AM »

Offline tov hashem

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: July 23, 2020, 12:13:17 AM »
If you got your funds then no, it's was automated to go out before you claimed and you only got it now.
i certified while applying originally.