Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 296971 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #2220 on: December 30, 2022, 11:33:40 AM »
Which restaurants in Lakewood serve CHK meat?

I would personally exclude HECHSHERIM (making the distinction from actual Kashrus) from the discussion (though Shechita also traditionally has communal protections).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2221 on: December 30, 2022, 11:36:14 AM »
Why are you looking for some hothead to get involved? I don't keep track of it and don't remember specifically where.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2222 on: December 30, 2022, 11:40:15 AM »
Why are you looking for some hothead to get involved? I don't keep track of it and don't remember specifically where.
If it exists, I'd like to show CLE Kosher that they are wrong for passing the blame to the KCL.
Ironically CLE Kosher normally uses Star-K policies for all kashrus questions, and Baltimore restaurants do have CHK meat. But for this issue they're pointing to the KCL.

This is also despite R' Weissmandel saying that he takes achrayis for Shor Habor meat.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 30, 2022, 11:42:09 AM »
That's not what I heard from a semi-Heimish non-lubavitcher lakewood friend (I've heard from lubavitcher friends in lakewood too, but if the nonlubavitch ones get cheppered about it b/c they're "heimish", what does that tell you?). He said there are still a few yeshivish rebbeim and maggidei shiur for his kids that will knock lubavitch in front of the whole shiur. Yes, when there's antagonism in Lakewood it's only overwhelmingly "only" "soft antagonism" not "hard antagonism"  from what I've heard and BH it's seemingly getting much better, but let's not kid ourselves, there's still a way to go and it's not a one way street.

I guess we don't hang around the same people.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard from respected people strong views on ideological differences that the olem hayishivos has with Lubavitch (and with chasidus in general). I think thats a good thing. We don't need to agree with each other on all issues. We do need to respect each other. What I am pointing out is that what is being called "sinas Lubavithch" is not much of a thing today. 

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2224 on: December 30, 2022, 11:42:09 AM »

Local hashgachos not serving CHK is perfectly understandable, just like CHK restaurants don't serve other meats. (CHK not CH. Izzy's, for instance, doesn't serve CHK meat)

I was in a Flatbush restaurant and asked if any of the dishes used CHK meat by any chance, and the proprietor said, "I wish, I'm not allowed to serve CHK." I must have been visibly shocked because he smiled and said, "And would I get my shechita in your neighborhood?"

But if they're allowed to serve other non-local shechitas and refuse CHK, that's a whole other story

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 30, 2022, 11:42:12 AM »

If it exists, I'd like to show CLE Kosher that they are wrong for passing the blame to the KCL.
Ironically CLE Kosher normally uses Star-K policies for all kashrus questions, and Baltimore restaurants do have CHK meat. But for this issue they're pointing to the KCL.

This is also despite R' Weissmandel saying that he takes achrayis for Shor Habor meat.

Where is that pros and cons of where you live thread?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 30, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
Local hashgachos not serving CHK is perfectly understandable, just like CHK restaurants don't serve other meats. (CHK not CH. Izzy's, for instance, doesn't serve CHK meat)

I was in a Flatbush restaurant and asked if any of the dishes used CHK meat by any chance, and the proprietor said, "I wish, I'm not allowed to serve CHK." I must have been visibly shocked because he smiled and said, "And would I get my shechita in your neighborhood?"

But if they're allowed to serve other non-local shechitas, and allow refuse CHK, that's a whole other story
What is the local Lakewood or Flatbush Shechita?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2227 on: December 30, 2022, 11:43:49 AM »

But if they're allowed to serve other non-local shechitas, and allow refuse CHK, that's a whole other story
This has nothing to do with local.
KCL and CLE Kosher allow non-local meat in restaurants, as long as it's not CHK.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2228 on: December 30, 2022, 11:51:23 AM »
This has nothing to do with local.
KCL and CLE Kosher allow non-local meat in restaurants, as long as it's not CHK.

Izzy's, for instance, doesn't serve CHK meat

I think it's best to leave Hechsherim out of the conversation, וד"ל.

I also recommend reading the book I posted about, extremely helpful for people to learn about what goes on outside of their own shell.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2229 on: December 30, 2022, 11:52:50 AM »
What is the local Lakewood or Flatbush Shechita?

No idea. In the case of that restaurant, the hechsehr only approves certain shechitas, not "everything besides CHK". I don't mean the shechitah has to be a local one, I'm saying any local place can make red lines wherever they choose. But if your red line is just Lubavitch...

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 30, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »
I guess we don't hang around the same people.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard from respected people strong views on ideological differences that the olem hayishivos has with Lubavitch (and with chasidus in general). I think thats a good thing. We don't need to agree with each other on all issues. We do need to respect each other. What I am pointing out is that what is being called "sinas Lubavithch" is not much of a thing today.

The way I heard it, it was not "respectful ideological differences".

And just to reiterate, I do think it's a 2 way street with harmful stereotypes on both sides, but that's probably natural expected human behaviors, and I think it's a wonderful testament to Am Yisroel that both sides have clearly been moving away from those more and more as the years go on.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 30, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »
No idea. In the case of that restaurant, the hechsehr only approves certain shechitas, not "everything besides CHK". I don't mean the shechitah has to be a local one, I'm saying any local place can make red lines wherever they choose. But if your red line is just Lubavitch...
But, but, but Ben and Jerry's isn't anti-semitic. It's just that Israel is the (only) red line!

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 30, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »

You also need to know how much is an admin not being interested in the hock.  I was once told by one of the KCL rabbonim about a different shchita "we have never been asked to accept it but if an establishment would then we would allow it."

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 30, 2022, 11:58:53 AM »
You also need to know how much is an admin not being interested in the hock.
Just about all of the meat restaurants, butchers, and takeout places in CLE are owned or managed by Lubavitchers. It has been requested many times and it's an issue that will boil over.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 30, 2022, 12:08:11 PM »
We cut an entire chunk out of this very thread

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: December 30, 2022, 12:09:34 PM »
The way I heard it, it was not "respectful ideological differences".

And just to reiterate, I do think it's a 2 way street with harmful stereotypes on both sides, but that's probably natural expected human behaviors, and I think it's a wonderful testament to Am Yisroel that both sides have clearly been moving away from those more and more as the years go on.

I didn't say "respectful ideological differences". I said respected people offering (sharply worded) views on ideological differences. I see nothing wrong with that. My only point is that there is no sina for the sake of sina. We all know there was a huge machlokes years back but nobody is focused on that today.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 30, 2022, 12:12:01 PM »
My only point is that there is no sina for the sake of sina.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 30, 2022, 12:17:37 PM »
Why are you looking for some hothead to get involved?

The fact that this is a real concern means that there continues to be a level of hatred to Chabad (and that it is acceptable enough that the "hothead" would be able to make a real problem and not just be laughed out of the room).

To be clear, you are not doing anything wrong by recognizing the reality. It is the fact that this reality exists which is the problem.

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 30, 2022, 12:20:06 PM »
I didn't say "respectful ideological differences". I said respected people offering (sharply worded) views on ideological differences. I see nothing wrong with that. My only point is that there is no sina for the sake of sina. We all know there was a huge machlokes years back but nobody is focused on that today.

And my point is ashrecha if you and the people you hang around honestly don't have that, but it still exists and needs to be worked on. Like many things, if it doesn't affect the individual they may not even realize it's there, for example, there's a world of chessed & support systems for many tzaros affecting klal yisroel, but if one or one they are close to BH doesn't have that tzarah they probably have no clue it exists. (obviously talking about chessed for more personal issues, not public ones that everyone knows about)

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 30, 2022, 12:20:54 PM »

To add to this, in Eretz Yisroel, just being a Lubavitcher is enough to disqualify a shochet from working in most shechitos. And the shechitos acknowledge that it isn't about them being unqualified, it is about fear of haters who won't buy their product if they find out that they hired a Lubavitcher.