Author Topic: How can Monsey restaurants justify their prices? (specifically milchig ones)  (Read 26491 times)

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

[/quote]
Tell me, what else do you know ?

Is https://happyheartswine.com/ for example also part of Kayco?

Israel has 100s of kosher wineries, how do the prices of imported wine compare ?

Disclaimer, I have wine running in my blood but other than my occasional Napa valley here and there I'm mostly surviving on grape juice
Happy hearts is not part of Kayco. They have it much harder. For example a store in lkwd was told by Royal that if they do not remove  Happy heart wine from the center promo area in the wine store they will not be getting a bunch of popular Royal wines. Who will you choose.

The 100s of Israeli winerys can not (or extremally hard) to sell in the USA without a distributor. Royal wine is known for bulling them big big time.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Sad fact is that many "struggling families" don't look at prices, are getting huge amounts of FS, and aren't budget savvy at all. You ask them if for their family size it doesn't make more sense to shop at Costco/Bingo etc. and they laugh in your face. I've long concluded that it's our culture's problem which enables the prices we see, not the other way around.

Why do you think budgeting is an issue specifically for frum families any more than any other community?

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Classic DDF, thread opens about restaurants in Monsey, and we're now talking about Kayco. The Kayco issue deserves its own thread. It would be cool if we, as consumers, could somehow band together to break the monopoly somehow, though I have no idea how.

Happy hearts is not part of Kayco. They have it much harder. For example a store in lkwd was told by Royal that if they do not remove  Happy heart wine from the center promo area in the wine store they will not be getting a bunch of popular Royal wines. Who will you choose.

They have done this to many, many, stores, and not just telling them to remove promotional displays, but remove products from the shelves entirely.

They also bully their way into buying up a lot of the companies that make up their portfolio ruining many an individual's company that they spent years building up. It's awful.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
How much did they pay for Haddar?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ya

• View Profile
Classic DDF, thread opens about restaurants in Monsey, and we're now talking about Kayco. The Kayco issue deserves its own thread. It would be cool if we, as consumers, could somehow band together to break the monopoly somehow, though I have no idea how.

Because Kayco is all food. Restaurants buy from Kayco or someone that buys from Kayco.  How can we band together to break it if we have no other options?

Offline ya

• View Profile
How much did they pay for Haddar?
after bulling them? Starting up Gefen because Haddar started to sell Grape Juice?

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Pinging @NYT  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
When will Bertram give in and sell to Kayco?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ya

• View Profile
side point if Kayco is no good ethically. How can we trust their kashrus?

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
How come Ungers pricing is almost always identical to Gefen/Glicks/Haddar?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
side point if Kayco is no good ethically. How can we trust their kashrus?
While I trust the people and their food, you suggest that perhaps they cannot be trusted. If trust is the determining factor, then I have no problem eating their food. However, if you do not trust them, then it would be wise for you to avoid consuming their food, as trust is essential in such matters.
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Why do you think budgeting is an issue specifically for frum families any more than any other community?

I'm not convinced the frum are any worse at budgeting, but I would argue they need to be better than average given the lifestyle. 

Also I constantly hear people berating "other cultures" (read: specific racial minorities) for being lazy and taking government handouts while simultaneously justifying their own food stamps, WIC, and other assistance as being due to their large families and perfectly acceptable because they meet the criteria. Did you know you probably don't really meet the criteria if you're hiding income by getting paid half on a W-2 and half on a 1099?  Most still eat out, buy national brands (sodas, cereal, etc) at more expensive frum supermarkets instead of cheaper national chains, etc. 

All that being said, most people don't fit the description above.  But unfortunately a lot do, and whenever I notice it in my neighbors or peers it really annoys me.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

They have done this to many, many, stores, and not just telling them to remove promotional displays, but remove products from the shelves entirely.

They also bully their way into buying up a lot of the companies that make up their portfolio ruining many an individual's company that they spent years building up. It's awful.
wine I think is more of an issue. Food there is definitely more diversity and from what I hear the other major food distributor is in a price war with them.

Offline ya

• View Profile
While I trust the people and their food, you suggest that perhaps they cannot be trusted. If trust is the determining factor, then I have no problem eating their food. However, if you do not trust them, then it would be wise for you to avoid consuming their food, as trust is essential in such matters.
i do try to avoid their food and wines. However its not always possible.

Offline ya

• View Profile
wine I think is more of an issue. Food there is definitely more diversity and from what I hear the other major food distributor is in a price war with them.
and what happens when the other distributor looses?

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
Question, מזונותיו של אדם קצובים מראש השנה עד ראש השנה, does this mean that if prices go up mid year we'll starve to death ?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ya

• View Profile
I'm not convinced the frum are any worse at budgeting, but I would argue they need to be better than average given the lifestyle. 

Also I constantly hear people berating "other cultures" (read: specific racial minorities) for being lazy and taking government handouts while simultaneously justifying their own food stamps, WIC, and other assistance as being due to their large families and perfectly acceptable because they meet the criteria. Did you know you probably don't really meet the criteria if you're hiding income by getting paid half on a W-2 and half on a 1099?  Most still eat out, buy national brands (sodas, cereal, etc) at more expensive frum supermarkets instead of cheaper national chains, etc. 

All that being said, most people don't fit the description above.  But unfortunately a lot do, and whenever I notice it in my neighbors or peers it really annoys me.
and its hurts the middle class. Stores are not as price sensitive as the rich dont care and the poor dont care since the government (us) are paying for it.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Question, מזונותיו של אדם קצובים מראש השנה עד ראש השנה, does this mean that if prices go up mid year we'll starve to death ?

No. That is priced in.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
No. That is priced in.
So then Kayco will have to sort this out with Hashem, glad i can step out
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ya

• View Profile
ok so we can all shop at pomegranate? Dont you think fighting back against a bully and a monopoly is a small hishtadlus? Or just let it go on...