Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 489640 times)

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2880 on: August 12, 2020, 11:21:19 PM »
From what age is a teenager legal to work/claim for unemployment? 16 or 17 years old?

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: August 12, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
From what age is a teenager legal to work/claim for unemployment? 16 or 17 years old?
https://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/hrswork.shtm

16 for sure. The younger the more restrictions there are so it gets difficult to claim full unemployment because you can't legally work enough to be "ready willing and able to work" enough days. 16 should still be able to put in enough hours though.

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: August 13, 2020, 02:19:10 AM »
google the number. Scam

It has to be a scam, they called me 3 times in 1 day! The real UI won't call me back even once.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2883 on: August 13, 2020, 08:16:11 AM »
If "effective days remaining" is down to 20, what does that mean in practical terms - that in just 5 more weeks, the applicant will not receive any more UI for the rest of the year (or ever)? If yes, should the applicant stop certifying now and "wasting" their effective days on weeks that are just $182 each, in the hope that a $600 FPUC (or similar) will be reinstated later in the year, and then those 5 weeks' worth of effective days remaining will be much more valuable, since they'll net $782 per week instead of $182?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: August 13, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »
If "effective days remaining" is down to 20, what does that mean in practical terms - that in just 5 more weeks, the applicant will not receive any more UI for the rest of the year (or ever)? If yes, should the applicant stop certifying now and "wasting" their effective days on weeks that are just $182 each, in the hope that a $600 FPUC (or similar) will be reinstated later in the year, and then those 5 weeks' worth of effective days remaining will be much more valuable, since they'll net $782 per week instead of $182?

Regular UI applicants receive an additional 13 weeks (not to go past 12/31/20) when their claim reaches 0, and when the 13 weeks reach 0 they receive an additional 20 weeks (for now) in NY and NJ (all states are offering some extension but not everyone is giving 20 weeks)

PUA applicants receive an additional 20 weeks when their claim reaches 0 (total of 46 weeks) but for now certifications can't go past 12/31/20.

Bottom line: if you're on PUA it's set to expire on 12/31/20, and all applicants will be given enough weeks til at least then.

Feel free to check my post on extended benefits is my signature block below.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:07:44 AM by cgr »

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2885 on: August 13, 2020, 09:36:21 AM »
Bottom line: if you're on PUA it's set to expire on 12/31/20, and all applicants will be given enough weeks til at least then.

And if you’re on regular UI (not PUA), then what? The weeks will run out before 12/31/20?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:02 AM »
And if you’re on regular UI (not PUA), then what? The weeks will run out before 12/31/20?
Unlikely.
Right now there's 26+13+20=59 weeks for regular UI claimants. You'd have to be on from about October 2019 to exhaust your weeks before year end.

Offline davs

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: August 13, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »
From the LRRC

Backdating Unemployment Claims
As per the Department of State, if you receive a call from 866-812-5907, that is a legitimate Unemployment number, and you can feel comfortable disclosing personal information necessary to backdate your claim.

As previously posted, if you are waiting for benefits for the time between when you lost your job and when you filed for Unemployment, you need to request those retroactive benefits by speaking to a Department of Labor representative. You can try calling 201-601-4100 or 732-761-2021. Sunday morning may be the shortest wait time. You can also leave a message at 866-812-5907, and someone will call you back. It is difficult to get through to them, but do not worry. The Department of Labor confirmed that all benefits will be retroactive.

As always, you may contact us at questions@lrrcenter.org or 732-942-9292 with any questions.

Offline davs

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: August 13, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
Did anyone get a callback in NJ from 8668125907 ?
Real number or scam? The guy sounded straight out of India.
Guess that should make you feel at ease

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: August 13, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
Unlikely.
Right now there's 26+13+20=59 weeks for regular UI claimants. You'd have to be on from about October 2019 to exhaust your weeks before year end.
Thank you

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: August 13, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
Guess that should make you feel at ease
Or rather @159dallas
Thanks

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: August 13, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »
I have a friend that was waiting for back pay, and called in. They worked 3 days a week so only got $45.50 per week, but they got it twice for all the weeks. What do they do now? they call UI/PUA to tell them? they just wait it out? What are the chances they he will be under audit and have to return the $?

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: August 13, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »
Did anyone get a callback in NJ from 8668125907 ?
Real number or scam? The guy sounded straight out of India.
Today i'm convinced that it's the real deal. No scam.

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #2893 on: August 13, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
i made a backdated claim from 6/14 when in actuality i got paid for that week and i want to claim from end of march is there any way to backdate it further?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: August 13, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
i made a backdated claim from 6/14 when in actuality i got paid for that week and i want to claim from end of march is there any way to backdate it further?
Yes. Message or call.

Offline sams

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: August 13, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »
For Few days says filed-$0 in nj what should I expect ?

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: August 13, 2020, 07:07:20 PM »
i filed unemployment in nj as of april 1st (middle of the week) when in reality i was unemployed as of march 29. will i get the full amount for that week or should i try to backdate?

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #2897 on: August 13, 2020, 07:08:28 PM »
Yes. Message or call.
thanks! who do i message (ny)

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: August 13, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »
thanks! who do i message (ny)

Via the online message center in your account:
Certifications and Payments
I want to request backdating of my claim

If you get a generic bounceback just reply to the bounceback with your message again- that will route it to a live agent.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: August 13, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
i filed unemployment in nj as of april 1st (middle of the week) when in reality i was unemployed as of march 29. will i get the full amount for that week or should i try to backdate?

What is listed as your claim effective date?