Author Topic: Flying with an infant on your lap internationally - prices and/or points  (Read 706 times)

Offline chai18

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
What is the best way to pay for an infant under the age of 2 (ie a lap child)? Can you use miles?

I live in Israel and I wanted to get my wife a ticket to LA for the chagim so I took advantage of the recent United Denmark glitch and got a business class ticket from LHR to LAX for 508 DKK (~77 USD) for my wife but i did not include a lap child for our baby (my wife hasn't given birth yet), when I spoke to someone from United they said a lap child is 10% of the going rate for the day in which i request it (i.e. after the baby is born) and not the price I paid, so instead of being 5 DKK it will be somewhere along the lines of 560 USD!! Is there anyway to pay for a lap child with miles? As of now to fly from TLV to London will be either around 7-800 on BA or 3-400 on easyjet  and the total flight will still be at a minimum close to 1000 USD when a RT from ELAL is only 1300 USD

Is there a way to avoid this 560 fee -- can a lap child ticket be bought with miles?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with an infant on your lap internationally - prices and/or points
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
What is the best way to pay for an infant under the age of 2 (ie a lap child)? Can you use miles?

I live in Israel and I wanted to get my wife a ticket to LA for the chagim so I took advantage of the recent United Denmark glitch and got a business class ticket from LHR to LAX for 508 DKK (~77 USD) for my wife but i did not include a lap child for our baby (my wife hasn't given birth yet), when I spoke to someone from United they said a lap child is 10% of the going rate for the day in which i request it (i.e. after the baby is born) and not the price I paid, so instead of being 5 DKK it will be somewhere along the lines of 560 USD!! Is there anyway to pay for a lap child with miles? As of now to fly from TLV to London will be either around 7-800 on BA or 3-400 on easyjet  and the total flight will still be at a minimum close to 1000 USD when a RT from ELAL is only 1300 USD

Is there a way to avoid this 560 fee -- can a lap child ticket be bought with miles?
Miles can be used, but depens which airline miles you are using.

You may just have to eat the 10% cost, or find a different way to LAX. Though you are probably better off just paying.
Quaerite et Invenietis.