Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1121670 times)

Offline Mech

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, United Silver, SkyTeam Silver
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #1580 on: December 10, 2014, 04:22:06 AM »
UA offered my entire flight, for 5 hr delay, a choice of $100 e-voucher or 5,000 mileage plus points. Which one has a better value??

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: December 10, 2014, 04:28:09 AM »

UA offered my entire flight, for 5 hr delay, a choice of $100 e-voucher or 5,000 mileage plus points. Which one has a better value??
if they offered it, you can do better

Offline Mech

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, United Silver, SkyTeam Silver
« Reply #1582 on: December 10, 2014, 04:35:49 AM »

if they offered it, you can do better
I already did better. I got them to pay for my rental car and they gave me economy plus seats on a different flight on the reservation. I'm asking in particular about this offer. Which one is better??

Offline ygygold

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: December 10, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »
I flew on JetBlue from FLL to SWF, booked additional space seats. When we arrived at the gate the agent told us that we only have extra speed (?)  tickets, not extra space.
We went till the door of the plane and waited for a crew member to take our car seat/stroller, while waiting the captain came out and told us to bring the car seat on board and seat the baby for no extra charge. This is not because I complained, he didn't know about our seat issue.
While passing our original seats it did look to me like extra space seats but I'm not sure and emailed JetBlue anyway. They refunded me the 100 bucks I paid for the extra space.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »
I flew on JetBlue from FLL to SWF, booked additional space seats. When we arrived at the gate the agent told us that we only have extra speed (?)  tickets, not extra space.
We went till the door of the plane and waited for a crew member to take our car seat/stroller, while waiting the captain came out and told us to bring the car seat on board and seat the baby for no extra charge. This is not because I complained, he didn't know about our seat issue.
While passing our original seats it did look to me like extra space seats but I'm not sure and emailed JetBlue anyway. They refunded me the 100 bucks I paid for the extra space.
Does extra speed tickets get you there quicker?

ETA- apparently "extra speed" is supposed to get you through security quicker:
http://mobile.jetblue.com/mt/www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/even-more/?un_jtt_redirect=un_jtt_iosV#speed
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: December 10, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
Does extra speed tickets get you there quicker?

ETA- apparently "extra speed" is supposed to get you through security quicker:
http://mobile.jetblue.com/mt/www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/even-more/?un_jtt_redirect=un_jtt_iosV#speed

Apparently, but I didn't know I had Extra Speed till I got to the gate. Plus JetBlue has TSA Pre in FLL which means you don't have a line at security.

Offline caliheat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: December 10, 2014, 02:40:17 PM »
So, I booked a ticket as follows:
BA 4500 on US PHX-DRO
AA DRO-DFW-JAX-DFW-PHX $700 + $90 for upgraded seats

US PHX-DRO got cancelled twice. Got US rep in PHX to re-route tix PHX-DFW-JAX-DFW-PHX.
How to I go about getting AA to refund some $$ every phone number I call says only e-mail will work.
Lot's of wasted $

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: December 10, 2014, 11:56:17 PM »
So happy to find this thread! So here we go:

United GVA-LHR-NYC, connecting flight cancellation on thursday afternoon, got hotel till Sunday, 600 Euros cash, and refund for kosher meals I had to get. I was also told that I can book a hotel in the city for Shabbos and that I would be reimbursed, ended up staying by friends.

United NYC-CDG, denied boarding exactly an hour before flight. Rebooked on a direct flight and got there earlier than expected. Ironically checked in less than an hour before the flight! $150 voucher.

United NYC-GVA, passport problems with family for 45 minutes, missed check in. $600 voucher for each person.

United NYC-GVA, one hour delay. $200 voucher.

British GVA-LHR-NYC, second flight canceled twice, got to final destination an hour and a half later. $250 pounds were given to me immediately before boarding the first flight and $80 later on.

That's only the past 6 months or so, apparently I deleted the previous emails. Got a bunch of vouchers for delays and kosher food as well as suitcase replacements.

Offline wonderlust

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: December 29, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
Airline: Delta
Flight: EWR- ATL
Class: Coach (Standby- Revenue)
Incident: Super rude gate agent forced me to gate check my small rollaboard which included medicine, valuables, tefillin, etc. Wouldn't let me remove my items. Threatened me to place me on a later flight.  Boarded plane to find almost every overhead empty.
Compensation: 15K DL points & reimbursed ticket.

Citibank screwed up my downgrade from annual fee card to no fee. 60+ days later account still said I owed $85 while every rep I chatted with told me the credit should have posted.  Citi credited 10k AA points to my account.

Had the same issue with citi- most I was able to get was 500 aa points lol

Offline real-brisker

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: January 01, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »
Not aware of a "Hotel Compensation Master Thread" so I'm posting here.

I had a DSU Confirmed in the Hyatt Andaz 5th Ave for NY Eve. I booked through Gold Passport. Apparently the rep confirmed without making sure there was availability in the property. Basically I call in the morning before my arrival, and they say that they are booked up. No DS for me.

Manager was all apologetic and arrange a nice regular room, and gave me 6K points (amount for suite upgrade) for future stay.

I feel that's not enough!

Who shall I turn to?
What shall I ask for?

Offline DP7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: January 01, 2015, 07:38:32 AM »

Not aware of a "Hotel Compensation Master Thread" so I'm posting here.

I had a DSU Confirmed in the Hyatt Andaz 5th Ave for NY Eve. I booked through Gold Passport. Apparently the rep confirmed without making sure there was availability in the property. Basically I call in the morning before my arrival, and they say that they are booked up. No DS for me.

Manager was all apologetic and arrange a nice regular room, and gave me 6K points (amount for suite upgrade) for future stay.

I feel that's not enough!

Who shall I turn to?
What shall I ask for?

Helps to search.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=14518.0

Offline yitzy93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 01, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
I recently flew Turkish BRU-IST-TLV The first leg of the trip was delayed which made it impossible to catch the connecting flight so they put me on a direct BRU-TLV flight with Brussels Airlines which shortened the trip by a couple of hours :-)
I sent them an email complaining that I specifically wanted to fly Turkish and how they really inconvenienced me etc... I got a reply a few months later with an apology...! Nothing else! I called them up (Their reps have a terrible English) and they still gave me nothing, I sent them another email and never heard back from them. :-(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:01:15 AM by yitzy93 »

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 01, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
I recently flew Turkish BRU-IST-TLV The first leg of the trip was delayed which made it impossible to catch the connecting flight so they put on a direct BRU-TLV flight with Brussels Airlines which shortened the trip by a couple of hours :-)
I sent them an email complaining that I specifically wanted to fly Turkish and how they really inconvenienced me etc... I got a reply a few months later with an apology...! Nothing else! I called them up (Their reps have a terrible English) and they still gave me nothing, I sent them another email and never heard back from them. :-(
???
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 01, 2015, 11:18:41 AM »
This thread makes me want to throw up sometimes
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline bookwrm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 05, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »
yesterday my family and i flew from mtl -san with a stopover in lax. well, our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:55 but it was delayed until 10am. we got to the airport at 8 and for the next few hours our flight was delayed. first to 10:40, 11:00 then finally at 12:10 we boarded the flight. due to weather (which was the cause of the delay), we were on the plane for 3 hours. first waiting in line to de ice (1:45) then to de ice (45 minutes). because of the delay we missed our connection from lax-san. air canada said that they would not help us until we got to la, united said no flights were available. once we got to la, air canada again said that they cannot help us. united did rebook us on a flight for mon morning at 7:40 a.m. problem is, my spouse had to be at work at 8 so that was a no go. thus we did not take that flight and drove down.

a few questions: i'm pretty miffed with air canada at the way they handled the situation. we waited for hours to finally leave. all the while they never once offered any kind of food voucher (delta last year had us wait an hour due to weather and offered every passanger a $7 food voucher). once we got our suitcases they were also drenched (as were the items inside them).

as for united: at first they would not assist in rebooking us, only hours later did they but we couldn't make the flight since we needed to be home earlier. what kind of compensation can i ask from both airlines? it was such a nightmare, especially traveling with a 10 months old baby.

Offline yitzy93

• View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 06, 2015, 03:11:35 AM »
yesterday my family and i flew from mtl -san with a stopover in lax. well, our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:55 but it was delayed until 10am. we got to the airport at 8 and for the next few hours our flight was delayed. first to 10:40, 11:00 then finally at 12:10 we boarded the flight. due to weather (which was the cause of the delay), we were on the plane for 3 hours. first waiting in line to de ice (1:45) then to de ice (45 minutes). because of the delay we missed our connection from lax-san. air canada said that they would not help us until we got to la, united said no flights were available. once we got to la, air canada again said that they cannot help us. united did rebook us on a flight for mon morning at 7:40 a.m. problem is, my spouse had to be at work at 8 so that was a no go. thus we did not take that flight and drove down.

a few questions: i'm pretty miffed with air canada at the way they handled the situation. we waited for hours to finally leave. all the while they never once offered any kind of food voucher (delta last year had us wait an hour due to weather and offered every passanger a $7 food voucher). once we got our suitcases they were also drenched (as were the items inside them).

as for united: at first they would not assist in rebooking us, only hours later did they but we couldn't make the flight since we needed to be home earlier. what kind of compensation can i ask from both airlines? it was such a nightmare, especially traveling with a 10 months old baby.

Personally I wouldn't setlle for anything less than a full refund + damaged luggage compensation.
Tell them exactly what you wrote here and demand a full refund etc...

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 06, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »
Personally I wouldn't setlle for anything less than a full refund + damaged luggage compensation.
Tell them exactly what you wrote here and demand a full refund etc...

And they will probably answer that it was a weather-related issue, and will be kind enough to give you a 15% off promo code for future flight.

Offline bookwrm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
And they will probably answer that it was a weather-related issue, and will be kind enough to give you a 15% off promo code for future flight.

Also we did not buy travel insurance but we did purchase the tickets (well paid the tax since it was a mileage ticket) on my sapphire preferred. Would that help with anything?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #1598 on: January 07, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »
Also we did not buy travel insurance but we did purchase the tickets (well paid the tax since it was a mileage ticket) on my sapphire preferred. Would that help with anything?
Yes, but they will only pay for expenses if it falls under certain guidelines

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
Usually you need to put the entire cost of the tickets on the CC for that