Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 704784 times)

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #4040 on: February 29, 2024, 11:27:49 AM »
Slot available in the playgroup younger two's older threes starting after pesach.
Pm for info
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Online Willie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: March 01, 2024, 01:34:20 PM »
I just got my 2nd school bus camera ticket, this time a $275 fine.
The first time, the video shows that I was already parallel to the bus when its stop sign started going up.
The second time, the bus was IN THE TURNING LANE on Peninsula, and I was going the opposite direction. No bus is waiting for a kid in the turning lane.
In both instances I was 100% not in the wrong and the video clearly shows that, but there is zero recourse. Anyone else experience this yet?

Just got one of these, whats best way to fight it?

Online Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: March 01, 2024, 03:58:42 PM »
Just got one of these, whats best way to fight it?
I doubt there's a way

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: March 04, 2024, 10:16:02 PM »
I doubt there's a way
It's a cash grab plain and simple. You're paying the money. There is no way around it. The only way to fight the program so you don't get more is get people to complain to elected representatives just like with the speed cameras a few years back.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: March 05, 2024, 11:32:43 AM »
It's a cash grab plain and simple. You're paying the money. There is no way around it. The only way to fight the program so you don't get more is get people to complain to elected representatives just like with the speed cameras a few years back.  to learn the law :-X

FTFY
i agree that it's a money grab but if people wouldn't pass buses (even around the corner or no the opposite side of the street) they wouldn't get tickets.

Online stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: March 05, 2024, 12:08:37 PM »
Look at some of the videos, many (a very big many) are false positives. The system needs more fine tuning before being rolled out. As soon as the driver "opens" the door, meaning he pushes the button/lever the camera is activated so even if a car is more then halfway past the bus it get's caught in the video and gets cited, it's almost comical if it weren't so sad. 

I'd give this an A for effort but a very poor C- in implementation.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4046 on: March 05, 2024, 12:15:24 PM »
Look at some of the videos, many (a very big many) are false positives. The system needs more fine tuning before being rolled out. As soon as the driver "opens" the door, meaning he pushes the button/lever the camera is activated so even if a car is more then halfway past the bus it get's caught in the video and gets cited, it's almost comical if it weren't so sad. 

Sounds like it is working exactly as intended and raking in the cash.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: March 05, 2024, 12:33:56 PM »

interesting. are these cars that behind a bus and then zoom to get past the bus before he opens the door or are the busses parked for a while and then they open the door as the car passes? any links to videos?

Offline rbs-g1.5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: March 05, 2024, 04:06:40 PM »

interesting. are these cars that behind a bus and then zoom to get past the bus before he opens the door or are the busses parked for a while and then they open the door as the car passes? any links to videos?
If they were on the other side of the street as some have complained about,or in a differant lane they did nothing wrong if a driver pressed the button while they were passing.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: March 05, 2024, 04:08:34 PM »
If they were on the other side of the street as some have complained about,or in a differant lane they did nothing wrong if a driver pressed the button while they were passing.

I would like to see videos of that

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #4050 on: March 05, 2024, 04:11:34 PM »
Since I posted my bus experience above I have personally heard from 4 other people who got these tickets despite their video showing otherwise. A google search for "town of hempstead school bus ticket fines" yields endless stories, reddit threads, articles of people who have been similarly defrauded by this scam. According to this linked article they have issued 132,000 tickets in the last 12 months. Assuming an average of $275 (1st ticket is $250 and increases by $25 for each subsequent "infraction"), that's close to $36 MILLION in revenue. Someone needs to go to jail for this.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: March 05, 2024, 04:13:52 PM »

I just got my 2nd school bus camera ticket, this time a $275 fine.
The first time, the video shows that I was already parallel to the bus when its stop sign started going up.
The second time, the bus was IN THE TURNING LANE on Peninsula, and I was going the opposite direction. No bus is waiting for a kid in the turning lane.
In both instances I was 100% not in the wrong and the video clearly shows that, but there is zero recourse. Anyone else experience this yet?

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: March 05, 2024, 06:30:58 PM »

My wife got 2 tickets in the past year. 1 was on Burnside near kol save, where the bus driver in the other direction out the stop signs as she was passing. Keep in mind it's a 4 lane street. So was she supposed to be looking at the bus (across 4 lanes, on a rainy day) until they pass each other to make sure he doesn't stop? Ye, that sounds real safe.
The second one was on sheradin, where she was waiting to make a left. Bus pulls up next to her (on her right) as she's about to turn and puts out the stop sign. Boom. She got a $275 ticket. What is she supposed to do? Always look to her right to make sure a bus isn't there and putting the stop sign out, as she's turning left? And if he does, stop in middle of her turn? Ye, another winner.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 08:45:20 PM by Sammy82 »

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: March 05, 2024, 10:40:33 PM »

My wife got 2 tickets in the past year. 1 was on Burnside near kol save, where the bus driver in the other direction out the stop signs as she was passing. Keep in mind it's a 4 lane street. So was she supposed to be looking at the bus (across 4 lanes, on a rainy day) until they pass each other to make sure he doesn't stop? Ye, that sounds real safe.
The second one was on sheradin, where she was waiting to make a left. Bus pulls up next to her (on her right) as she's about to turn and puts out the stop sign. Boom. She got a $275 ticket. What is she supposed to do? Always look to her right to make sure a bus isn't there and putting the stop sign out, as she's turning left? And if he does, stop in middle of her turn? Ye, another winner.

I don't doubt that's what happened. i'm just curious how it looks from their perspective

Online stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: March 06, 2024, 09:24:28 AM »
Ok, @ushdadude here's one of the videos, do you see any car that passes the bus when the sign is out? OR, the cars are literally moving as the sign comes out.

https://streamable.com/h0nnyy

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: March 06, 2024, 09:35:17 AM »
Ok, @ushdadude here's one of the videos, do you see any car that passes the bus when the sign is out? OR, the cars are literally moving as the sign comes out.

I wonder if you can get off by saying the view was obstructed by the other bus passing
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: March 06, 2024, 09:35:43 AM »
I don't doubt that's what happened. i'm just curious how it looks from their perspective
I threw out the violations already but let me see if I could maybe pull it up with just the plate number.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: March 06, 2024, 11:23:34 AM »

wow
which car got the ticket?

Online stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: March 06, 2024, 12:00:16 PM »
wow
which car got the ticket?

Does it matter? The point is there are 0 cars in the video that should've been flagged

So like I said, I'd give this an A for effort but a very poor C- in implementation.

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: March 06, 2024, 01:03:29 PM »
Does it matter? The point is there are 0 cars in the video that should've been flagged

So like I said, I'd give this an A for effort but a very poor C- in implementation.
I agree. I HATE when I see cars drive by school buses that are stopped and picking up/discharging kids.
That said, there needs to be a better system. An idea may be to have a few second 'grace period' so those that are parallel and can't see, don't get ticketed. This could be similar to why there are yellow flashing lights first and only then do they turn flashing red. Similarly, traffic lights turn yellow and then red.