Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member.

Messages - dfw546

Pages: [1]
final post:

Day 29
We woke up early and headed out for our 5 hour drive to Yellowstone national park. We initially wanted to stay in Jackson Hole Wyoming but most hotels were sold out. WE booked at the last minute a 2 bedroom suite at Worldmark timeshare resort in west Yellowstone Montana.   The drive was uneventful and we arrived at around 12:30 and had a picnic lunch at our hotel (our room wasn’t ready yet, but we ate outside).  Turns our we were in a great location right outside the west entrance of the park. After Lunch we went to the park.  This was the most crowded place we’ve seen our entire trip!!  Tons and tons of people and cars.  We made various stops and saw lots of geysers including old faithful and Norris Geyser Basin, Grand Prismatic spring and fumaroles. 
After a busy day we returned to the hotel for dinner and an early night.  We found a mezuza on one of the stores.  It turns out an Israeli man owns the whole strip of stores.  He says he’s one of 5 Israelis in the whole area.

Day 30
Our first stop was at Mammoth Hot Springs, where we saw the interaction of water and limestone create chalk-white travertine.  It was really beautiful and different from the other sites at the park.  After spending some time walking around and also seeing lots of Elk, we moved on.  We drove around an hour to Lamar Valley were we saw hundreds of Bison.  The kids loved it!  Apparently there are also lots of wolves there but we didn’t see any.  On our drive back we saw a crowd with binoculars looking at something.  We pulled over and found out they saw a black bear.  It was very hard to see but after a while it started walking and we were able to see it, though it was really far away.

Day 31
Today was our last big day.  We went to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone today.  Its was breathtakingly beautiful!!!!  The waterfall was a real wow! Personally i think it was nicer than the Grand Canyon.  We took a hike at the north rim of the fall and had an amazing view.  The hike was pretty intense going down some steep walkways and stairs.  We then drove to some other view points.  They were all so amazing and beautiful!  At some point we ate lunch in the parking lot and then continued driving.  We went to Yellowstone lake.  Another wow!  Absolutely magnificent.  The boys had fun throwing rocks into the lake and getting their feet wet.  The water is really cold.  The views were beyond magnificent, with gorgeous mountain backgrounds.  We then drove around a little more, seeing different views of the lake, the marina and some more small geysers.  by that point we were all exhausted and we began our drive out of the park and halfway to Denver to the Holiday inn in Lander Wyoming.  We drove through Teton National park and saw another gorgeous lake with mountain backdrops.  We continued our drive through Wyoming which turned out to be surprisingly beautiful!  The landscape kept changing from forest mountains to red rock mountains.  We saw lots of wildlife including a fox (or cayote?), and some deer.    On our drive we felt like we were in the middle of nowhere for hours! 

Day 32
We completed our drive to Denver today.  It was around 5.5 hours.  We stopped at a random gas station for bathroom and lunch and arrived at the Westin airport hotel at 4:15. The drive was uneventful and not as beautiful as last night.  The hotel is exciting because its literally in the airport, attached to our terminal, and we can watch the airplanes from the windows.  We picked up pizza for dinner and packed up. We returned the car that night and brought luggage carts to the room. It was very convenient to be staying in the terminal.  and called it a night.  The return flight was uneventful.   
Some final thoughts if we were to do it again We would bring maps sometimes you need more than Waze and Google Maps.   There is very limited cell phone and internet service in the mountains so next time we would rent a Satellite Phone.   Also, binoculars would have helped for some of the wildlife sightings. 


Day 24
We originally wanted to break up the drive and spend the night somewhere between Lake Tahoe and Park city Utah.  There is absolutely nothing to do or see between the 2 cities. So we drove straight took us around 8 hours. Most of the Way was on the I 80 with an 80 MPH speed limit. Needless to say we went pretty fast. We stopped for 45 minutes for a lunch break and drove straight.   We arrived around 5pm at the Marriot Summit watch and checked in to out 2 bedroom suited with a full kitchen and went straight to the pool.  The pool was not the nicest but the location was great as it was right in the heart of town.  We found a great park and playground nearby that would be great for the kids on Shabbos.

Main Street:

Day 25
Our first stop was Olympic Park, the site of the 2002 winter Olympics and Olympic training camp.  It was amazing!!!  We watched skiers practice during the summer on some kind of non-snow slope, perform incredible flips and twists in the air and then land in a huge pool!  We could have stayed there all day watching.  We also saw skateboarders doing tricks.  We then took the chair lift up the mountain and waited on a very very long line for the alpine ride.  The kids loved it!  When we got back down we watched the skiers a little more.  There was a full museum but we did not want to spend anytime indoors. From there we went to Deer Valley Pebble beach which is 2 minutes from our hotel and right near the St Regis.  It was this very calm small lake where the kids were able to rent stand up  paddle boards.  The kids loved it!  It was so great they could be independent in the water.  They had life vests and it all felt very safe.  Tons of families and little kids were doing the same.  From there it was back to the hotel to swim .

Olympic park

pebble Beach:

Day 26
Today we went rafting on the Weber river around a 45 minute drive from the hotel.   It was a gentle river with some very small rapids.  It was really nice and kids enjoyed. There were Thousands of mayflies everywhere that were really  annoying.  For those that like rapids this is not the river for you.   Our guide brought a water gun and urged us to spray other boats it turned into a major water fight that we all enjoyed as it was very hot.  we then went back to pebble beach to paddle board and then back to the hotel to swim.  We went to one of the supermarkets that had a suprsingly large section of kosher food (Frozen chcken, meat, packaged cheeses and deli)

Day 27 -Friday
We Woke up really tired and unsure what to do.  Looked into some hiking trails but none sounded exciting enough or family friendly enough. Thought about maybe renting bikes but didn’t have much energy.  We decided to spend the day at the St. Regis so we could use the pool and grounds.  Turned out to be a great idea and fabulous day!   We booked a regular room and upon check in we were upgraded to a beautiful suite with a full kitchen. We arrived at 11am and had the pool practically to ourselves for the first few hours.  Later in the day it got really crowded.  The hotel and grounds were beautiful.  The pool very refreshing.    At around 4pm the kids were getting really hungry so I drove back to the Marriot to get some of our food that was in the oven cooking for shabbos.   We contemplated staying for Shabbos but ultimately we wanted to near the park at Main street.

st Regis:

Day 28 Shabbos
At 5:30/6pm we went to the park.  We didn’t last very long because it was still quite hot out.  We went back to the hotel, had ice cream and seudat shlishit and then went back to the park at around 8pm.  At this time it had already begun to cool off.  The kids had a blast!  They ran around the playground and then came to the big field to have races.  After Shabbos We showered and packed up.  Off to Yellowstone National Park tomorrow! 

any ideas?  7-11 told me i need to pay cash for amazon gift card i can't find any gas stations that sell it. are there any other options? 

It turns out that we spent 1.1 million UR points not the 730k mentioned above.

Day 20

The Westin was really beautiful and had a great pool so we  debated staying there for Shabbos or transferring to the Silverado.  Last night we drove to the Silverado to check out a room but because of corona they wouldn’t let us in.  The grounds however are beautiful!  Acres and acres of land and golf courses.  Anyway after the long drive yesterday today was going to be a pool day.   By 9:30am we were at the pool.  Due to new covid 19 restrictions we had a 2 hour time slot to use the pool.  The hotel general manager was running the pool because many employees called in sick.  He was such a nice man.  Explained the restrictions to us and told us if maximum capacity isn’t filled we will be able to stay at the pool longer.  It turns out we stayed till 4pm and we were able to get  a late checkout at 4pm.  It was an amazing pool day.  At 4 we loaded up the car and headed to the Silverado shabbos, with a quick stop at Walmart for some supplies.  When we arrived, they were doing check in on the side of the hotel, we didn’t have to get out of the car. We then drove to our two bedroom suite which was a 3 minute drive. The resort is really huge.  The suite had a full  kitchen and nice size patio with comfortable couch over looking the fairway on the 6th hole of the golf course.  It was really beautiful. Overall this was a better place then the westin for Shabbos.   

View from WEstin balcony:

Day 21
We spent most of Shabbos on the porch watching the golfers and let the kids run around out side.  We tried to go for a walk but it was a little too hot.
View from Silverado Balcony:

Day 22
We checked out around 9 and arrived in South Lake Tahoe around 12.  Our hotel/apartment was a 2 bedroom room suite at the Zalanta which another really nice room.  We checked in and had some lunch.  Then we changed into bathing suits and walked a few blocks to the lake, hoping to rent a boat.  Town was much busier than we ever imagined.  The boat rentals were all booked so we reserved a boat for the next day. There was a fee to enter the beach.  We then drove to Emerald Bay.  We hiked down about 10-15 minutes, with beautiful views of the lake, and reached the lake/beach.  At the bottom on the Beach is the Vikingsholm Mansion.   The kids were thrilled to finally run in the water even though it was freezing!!  We played for a little while and then walked to a nearby waterfall called eagle falls.  Then we began our hike up.  The kids decided it would be easier to climb up the rocks.  We found a spot and climbed up.  It was so thrilling and fun.  We got really dirty, had to use our hands and knees to get up and grab on to tree roots and rocks.  At the top we climbed on some rocks and had magnificent views!!  On our ride back we stopped at  the supermarket for some supplies and found kosher frozen salmon which was a treat. 

Emerald Bay:

Mansion on the BaY:

Day 23
We were at the marina at 9:15 and on our speed boat by 10.  The waters were very choppy and there was lots of wind.  But the kids loved it!  We went fast, they got wet and had a blast.  The lake is gorgeous and the views magnificent!  We had the boat until 12:05.  We took it to Emerald Bay, where we visited yesterday.  After the boat ride we came back to our apartment which was just 2 minutes away and had lunch.  we cooked the salmon and the we all devoured it!    After lunch we went on a hike to a waterfall, Cascade Falls.  It was labeled as easy/moderate 1.4 mile hike.  I would call it moderate. There was lots of rock climbing which the kids loved!  When we got back to the car we drove to glen alpine waterfall and fallen leaf lake.  This one did not require a hike, we were able to reach it by car.  However, the drive there was quite an adventure.  Narrow road shared by cars going in each direction, amazing views of the lake and many mansions along the way.  The waterfall itself was just ok . Tomorrow is our big 9 hour drive to Utah!

Boating on Lake Tahoe:

Cascade Falls Hike:

Not sure:

need to be in the account for full 90 days

That's a lot of work for a non scalable 3.2% APR.

agreed but where else are you getting 3.2% today?

new chase private client offer of $2,000 but need to deposit 250k in new funds and keep for 90 days.

Anyone want to lend me 250k? I'll pay 1K  ;D 

Just kidding.

Day 11,
We left at around 8am and arrived in Palm Springs at noon. We reserved a 2 bedroom Bungalow at the Avalon with full kitchen.   The hotel room was not ready.  Then we went to a park for lunch.  It was nearly 100 degrees outside.  The park had the sprinklers on so the kids ran around and through the water to cool off.  Then we went to Ben and Jerry’s for some delicious ice cream.    It was then time to check in. We settled into our hotel, an adorable and charming place.  We are staying in a “bungalow”, surrounded by gardens, with desert mountains in the background.  Our bungalow is very comfortable except for the tiny and old bathrooms and kitchen. The Viceroy and Mountain Lodge kitchens were much nicer.  There is a private backyard which we enjoyed over Shabbos.  After settling in we went for a swim.  Though the hotel is pretty crowded the “family” pool was quiet at this hour.  We enjoyed a few hours of swim.  Then we went back to our bungalow for dinner.  There is a Local outdoor Chabad Minyan nearby but way to hot to walk on Shabbos. The temperature hit 113 while we were there. Trader Joes had kosher chicken and meat and Ralphs had general grocery items and some kosher items. WE went for a walk that evening and realized there are tons of homeless people living in the streets. Welcome to CA!

Avalon Hotel:


Day 12 and 13
After all the hiking, exploring and driving and the extreme heat in Palm Springs we decided to hang out at the pool all day!  Our bungalow is a few steps away so the kids were able to go back and forth as needed for bathroom and food.  We only left the hotel to get Ice Cream form Ben and Jerry’s which is a block away.

Day 14
It was a very peaceful and restful Shabbos.  Although it was really hot, 113 degrees, the kids managed to play outside with many indoor breaks.  It was too hot so the adults  were inside most of the day.  Right after Shabbos we took the kids for a night swim and got to see some fireworks.  We got back to the room and packed up to leave.  Tomorrow we are heading to San Diego. 

Day 15
We loaded up the car and left by 9 and arrived in san diego close to 11.  We tried the Hotel, Residence INN La Jola but our room wasn’t ready.   We went to Balboa park.  We found some beautiful gardens and ate our lunch.  Then we walked around.  There were lots of museums and gardens.  After Balboa park we went to the La Jolla Cove and saw tons of seals, in and out of the water.  The beach there was beautiful!  Different than the beaches we are used too.  The sandy area is very narrow but above that there is lots of grassy areas with trees for shade. We hung out in the park overlooking the ocean.    On our way to our hotel we stopped at the supermarket, Ralphs, were they had a kosher takeout.  we bought pizza, fries and chicken nuggets.  We checked into the hotel, ate a bit and then went back out for another drive.  The drive was beautiful with so many nice views.  We also drove past Old Town San Diego.  There were some really steep hills.  beautiful!

La Jolla Cove:

Day 16
 We started with a whale watching boat tour in Dana Point Daves Whale watching.  Unfortunately, we did not get to see any whales, but we saw tons of dolphins!!!  Hundreds of them. It was amazing!  The kids loved it, and of course loved being on a boat. The Boat had underwater viewing pods which the kids loved.  At the harbor we saw tons of people and kids on paddle boards and small sail boats available for rent.  After the boat ride we went to  visit friends at the montage hotel and spent the rest of the day at the pool and beach there. The hotel was stunning but the rooms small and extremely expensive. Mark Cuban was there.  WE picked up food from OC Kosher and it was either really good or we were just missing normal food.


Day 17
The kids were exhausted this morning, after our big day and late night yesterday.  We finally got on to the road a little after 9am.  Today we begin our drive to napa Valley on scenic Route 1. We planned our first overnight stop in Oxnard so we can go to Tierra Sur for Dinner. By 11am we were in LA and went to see the Hollywood walk of fame, the celebrity’s names in stars on the side walk.  We drove along sunset boulevard, Rodeo drive, saw the big Hollywood sign in the mountain, and then made our way to Beverly Hills.  We picked up some kosher food at Shalom Pizza : pizza, pasta and salad, and found a park to picnic. The food was quite good.   Then we continued our driving tour around Hankock Park.  Next we went to Venice Beach.  It was soooo seedy and gross!  Had we not promised the kids ice cream there we would have left right away.  So many homeless people around, all over LA and living in tents, but especially Venice beach.  Not sure how people can live in LA with homeless camps all over the place.. Just my opinion.  We then drove to Santa Monica Pier, but it was closed, so we began our scenic drive.  The drive was beautiful, the views magnificent, and so fun to see the homes on the mountains with amazing views.  After settling the kids in at Courtyard by Marriot in Oxnard with surprisingly nice spacious rooms, the adults to Tierra Sur.  It was so nice to finally get out!  It was a pre fixe menu with interesting menu items. Some were excellent some were just good.   

Day 18
 After loading up the car we officially began our coastal drive.  The views were beautiful!  Our first stop was in Santa Barbra, we drove on the wharf and hung out there for a while then drove passed State Street.  It was a very charming town!  Next we went to Solvang, known as “California’s little Denmark”.  It was such a cute and fun town!  We saw windmills and many Danish designs and architecture.  We lucked out and happened to be there in time for their weekly farmers market and bought some fresh peaches and plums.  We had a nice lunch on the grass.   We then continued and made a brief stop in Pismo beach.  Then we went to Morro Bay where we saw the volcanic Morro Rock.  Unfortunately, by this point the fog had begun and our visibility was very limited.  We drove on to Cambria where it continued to be foggy and cold and found a hotel for the night Cambria Pines hotel which I would not recommend to anyone.

 Santa Barbara Wharf:


Day 19
We were on the road by 7am excited to continue or coastal drive.  Little did we know that during the summer the Monterey area is covered in dense fog.  We had very limited visibility and were unable to see many of the views but it was kind of cool to be driving through the fogWe were unable to see Hearst Castle (although closed we would have seen it from the road) and many of the famous sights in Big Sur.  We briefly stopped in Carmel by the Sea where we saw beautiful houses and let the kids play on the beach and then continued on the 17 mile drive of pebble beach Golf resort, a famous drive right before Monteray, with some viewing points including pebble beach and the Lone Cyprus.  We stopped at a park in Monteray for a quick lunch and then continued on the Palo Alto.  We went to see google headquarters which was closed and the drove to the IZZY’s kosher bagel store and supermarket to stock up for the weekend. The supermarket had a fully stocked kosher section I think it was called Mollies Stone.     After making our purchases we drove to San Fransisco making stops at the famous Lombard street, Fisherman’s wharf, views of Alcatrez and then driving over the Golden Gate bridge to Marin Headlands for some stunning views of San Fran and the bridge.   It was a very big and exhausting day with lots of driving. We had no hotel reservations for that night so after a google Map Search we realized we were only an hour away From Napa Vallley where we were going to Stay for the next two nights at the Silverado Resort in a two bedroom suite. However they did not have a two bedroom available that night so I Booked a 2 bedroom suite in the Westin Napa which I originally wanted to book but was not available then.     

Views on the drive and san fran:

thanks for the pics. it would be helpful to have a brief description by each picture for context. you can modify your post to add it.

Next post i will add the picture into the post.

i did not realize how easy it is to post pics. here are some:


Grand canyan:

Grand Lake

Grotto Trail:

Mese Verde:


royal gorge:



Trail ridge

View from Viceroy:


I Will not be posting pics as we used our phones for the pictures and they do not do it justice and i don't have the time to upload them. You can google the names of the places to see the pictures which are unbelievable. If someone would like to post the pictures send me a PM and I will send you the relevant  pics.

The trip was planned in 4 days and by the time we left we had the first week planned but for the remainder we remained open and flexible.

Trip was 2 adults and 4 kids aged 5-12

Total Price for hotels, flights and car for the trip was 730k UR points. 300K Marriott Points. 16k Hyatt points and $1500 cash.

We brought along some pots and pans with the idea of looking for hotels with kitchens.
All the Shuls that I reached out to were either closed or not allowing visitors. The Sole exception was Chabad of Palm Springs that had an outdoor minyan in 110 + degrees.

Hotels were limited as far as housekeeping, bell service, pools, spas etc..

Day 1 .
Flight to Denver.  The airport and flight was more crowded than we had expected but everything felt safe and clean. 
After arriving and renting a suburban, we went to target, East Side Kosher and the Pizza Shop to  stock up food and supplies we bought an indoor grill and some disposable outdoor grills. We Then drove 1.5 hours to our first destination, Estes park at the foot of Rocky Mountain National Park. We stayed at the Estes Park Quality Inn which turned out to be clean and comfortable.  We had a 2 floor room.  The first floor had a king bed, pull out sofa and bathroom, and the second floor had a private room with a double bed and bathroom. Both floors had a little porch.  We had a BBQ dinner at Estes Lake. The views were beautiful.   

Day 2.
We were up and out 8am and headed to Trail Ridge Road.  The views were absolutely unbelievable!  There are no words to describe and the pictures don’t do them justice.  In Colorado there are so many different types of mountains.  From one observation point you can see rocky mountains, green mountains and snow capped mountains.  We saw the snow melting into lakes and rivers.  There was lots of wild life too!  We saw elk, moose, cows, marmot and chipmunks!  Due to the high elevation we all felt a little unwell, lightheaded and a little dizzy and out of breath  The kids had fun climbing in the summer snow and we saw the continental divide, where the water runs either to the pacific or atlantic oceans.    After finishing the drive we ended up in Grand Lake and ate our picnic lunch .  Another gorgeous lake with magnificent views!  We decided to rent a boat and ride around for an hour.  The kids had a blast taking turns driving the boat while listening to Mordechai Shapiro on the Bluetooth.  We  loved seeing all the homes right on the water.  They were big, beautiful and had boat garages!  The whole town was so charming.  After our hour rental was up we got back into the car for a 3.5 hour drive to Snowmass (about 20-30 minutes away from Aspen).    The views were amazing and again there was lots of wild life.   For some of the drive we were on what felt like a dirt road for quite a while.  We saw the Colorado river many times and drove through tunnels that were built right into the mountain.  We checked into a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen at Viceroy hotel.  It was super clean!   

Day 3
After breakfast, which took a while because the fancy Wolf  stove only registers certain pots and not the pots we brought from home, so in order to cook we are putting our pots inside the hotels.  So it took a really long time to make eggs!  We finally headed out and our first stop was a 10 o’clock free guided nature wildflower hike in Snowmass.  This hike was about 1.5 hours long.  Although it was a nice hike the kids complained most of the way and it wasn’t very exciting.  We saw some wildflowers, learned about the Aspen trees whose roots interestingly connect to each other underground, and saw a beaver dam.  After the hike we drove about 20 minutes to Aspen.  We took the silver queen gondala up Aspen Mountain and saw amazing views!  The 10 minute ride was exciting for the kids, We ate our lunch at the top of the mountain and walked around a little We then went back down on the gondola and walked around the streets of Aspen.  It’s a charming area, lots of fancy shops and outdoor dining.  By 3pm the kids had enough and we headed back to the hotel to swim. 

 Day 4.
After a good night sleep and a hearty breakfast, we headed out to the Grottos Loop Hike.  We wanted to do Maroon Bells but we could not get a reservation.  Our destination was about 20 minutes away but somehow we missed our exit and drove an additional 20 minutes on a really scary narrow road right on the edge of the mountain.  This is a famous road called Independence Pass or Colorado 82.  It’s a 2 way road but sometimes only one car fits on the lane, and the cliffs on the side were really scary.  The views however were breathtaking!  When we made it to our destination we noticed the sign for the exit was twisted which is why we missed it.  We parked, applied sunscreen and bug spray and began our hike.  We started walking over a small pedestrian bridge over a creek.  We ended up off the trail path for a while but then found it again.  We saw ice caves and gorgeous water falls!  There was some fun climbing up and down some steep rocks.    After exploring and hiking for a while we went back to the car to get our lunch bag and brought it back to the bottom of the waterfall to have a picnic lunch.  We then climbed on some of the rocks in the water.  Back at the hotel We walked up to the outdoor mall, it was quite a hike up, got a drink at the westin hotel and sat outside overlooking magnificent mountain views.

Day 5
We packed out of the Viceroy in Snowmass.  This took longer than expected.  Although we were living out of our suitcases, we had to pack up all our kitchen things and this took a while.  We really enjoyed our stay there.  The staff there was so nice and they all maintained a really high level of cleanliness, constantly disinfection and cleaning.    We finally left at around 9:15/30am.  It was a long ride to the Royal Gorge Bridge and park.  We had to take Independence highway again, the very curvy narrow and steep road.  It was really scary at times!  We finally arrived at 1pm and had a quick lunch on a bench.  The views were once again unreal.  This was a suspension bridge from one cliff to the next and below is the river.  It was amazing!  Walking across the bridge was very scary for some of us.  When we got across the bridge we walked around a little, went on the merry go round and then we headed to the gondala to take us back.  When we got to the gondola, it was shutting down due to an incoming storm.  We got stuck at the park during the lightning storm which was breathtaking to watch and waited it out at the theatre.  We were a little concerned about all the people in a small room and all those germs, so as soon as the rain got lighter we waited on the covered porch. When it was over we walked back across the bridge, bathroom stop, and into the car.  We drove 2.5 hrs to Gunnison where we were spending the night.  We arrived at the Days INN and upon a quick inspection we realized this was not a hotel we can stay in so we went the Nearby Holiday INN Express instead.   
Day 6 and 7

We were on the road by 8am and arrived at our hotel Mountain Lodge Telluride at around 11am.  We booked a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen. However, due to Carona, they were not allowing for early check in.  We had to come back at 4pm.  This was a bit of a bummer since we were  looking forward to settling in.  We drove to town, found a nice park for a picnic and some frisby, walked around and found a farmers market and then bought ice cream from the supermarket.  We took a nice drive to see the Bridal Veil water fall and then went back to the supermarket to stock up for our 3 day stay.    We finally arrived and the check in process was unique because of carona.  The front desk texted us with a code to a locker that wasset up out front.  In the locker was our key and map of the property.  There was no one to help with the luggage.  we parked the car and then we schlepped the bags to our room  This was not easy, traveling with 6 people and lots of luggage up a hill.  We quickly unpacked the kitchen and put up some Shabbos food.  The room was hot as there is no AC in the hotel.     After Shabbos lunch and Naps We walked to the center center of town which was a short 5-10 minute walk.  It was such a charming little area, with a central plaza, cafes and live music.  We also saw the mountain bikers biking down a mountain path.  They took the gondola up the mountain with their bikes, and then road down.  It was a lot of fun to see.  We found a small playground and rock climbing area for the kids.  The views in Teluride were pretty amazing.

Day 8
We got out a little before 9 and drove 1.5 hours to Mesa Verde National Park.  Once we arrived it was another 45 minute drive to the first view point.  We enjoyed seeing the cliff dwellings.  It was so fascinating to see how they built homes and communities right into the mountain.  Unfortunately, because of Corona we were unable to actually go inside.  We visited a few spots where we were able to see different dwellings and pits.  We then went on a short hike (most hikes were closed because of corona and because of a forest fire).  The hike was a bit disappointing it was advertised as adventurous and steep with some rock climbing but that was not the case.  Perhaps the exciting part was after the point where the hike was closed off.  The end of the hike was a nice view, but it wasn’t worth it. 
When we got back to our hotel, we ate dinner and then took the free gondola to the town plaza, enjoyed some live music for a bit and then back up.  We stopped at the market to buy ice cream and then walked to the hotel. 

Day 9 
We managed to get out of the hotel a little before 8am and drove to Moab, Utah.  We arrived around 11am and were able to check into the Hyatt place hotel.    We then went to the Arches National Park.  Wow wow and wow!  It was like nothing we have ever seen!!!  I can’t even describe it and will have to look at pictures to understand.  Different rock formations, arches and windows…..all natural Gd made!  We stopped at a few and the kids had a blast climbing up to the top.  The climb up was fun, when they got to the top it was nerve-wracking as  there was a cliff on the other side.
Day 10
We managed to get out by 7am today!  We left Utah and drove to the Grand Canyon in Arizona.  What should have been a 5.5hr drive turned out to be close to 7hrs.  We were about 1.5hr away from our destination when we saw a sign saying the East gate to the Grand Canyon is closed!  We had to drive all the way around the mountain to enter from the south gate.    When we finally arrived, we used the bathroom and had a picnic lunch.  Then we walked around the South Rim.  The views were amazing!  The long drive was exhausting, and no one was up for a big walk or hike.  We spent around 3 hours in total at the Grand Canyon.  A little bit of walking and then a drive to the village and one other viewpoint.  We then drove 2.5 hrs to Kingman, Arizona to spend the night.  We stopped at Wallgreens for supplies.  Checked into the Springhill Suites hotel, shower, dinner, bed. 

Day 11
We left for Palm Springs. to be continued.

Pages: [1]