Author Topic: Bed Bath Beyond Registry Returns For Cash  (Read 8985 times)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Bed Bath Beyond Registry Returns For Cash
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:43:53 AM »
+1
why would u need cashback on high value items if not for points
just dont buy it if you need the money
also +1 on dans comments; this is why heavily jewish area stores have different return policys than other area stores

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
+1
why would u need cashback on high value items if not for points
just dont buy it if you need the money

His point just was that it's a way of getting an interest free loan for almost 2 months

also +1 on dans comments; this is why heavily jewish area stores have different return policys than other area stores

not going to argue on that

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »
Discover give 5% cb currently at Bed Bath Beyond.
Make a large purchase, receive the miles, 5%, and interest spread (very minimal).

That might be what he's referring to.
I was starting to think everyone here is clueless. AARP (5%) and a cash back site (5%) will give you a nice 10% cash back. The example I gave was for sterling silver flatware. A setting for 12 people will cost over 15k. You do the math; do you want miles or cash? This is not something you just jump into. With all these scenarios you have to test them first with small amounts but you will be amazed at what can be accomplished! 
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
Discover give 5% cb currently at Bed Bath Beyond.
Make a large purchase, receive the miles, 5%, and interest spread (very minimal).

That might be what he's referring to.

His point just was that it's a way of getting an interest free loan for almost 2 months

A 50-day interest-free loan of, what, $10,000 beats points/thresholds 99 out of 100 times?

Rubbish.

Where can you get a return of about $4500-5000 (what I've gotten for a single CC bonus) on an investment of a few thousand dollars in 50 days?

And, even if you could get such a return in this market, you'd presumably be exposed to tremendous downside risk. Guess what happens in 50 days whether your lose the "free money" or not - the bill comes due. And, a few months at 30% interest will exacerbate whatever loss you've incurred.

If you're only talking about the cashback aspect, you've a) not beat out the points/threshold aspect, and b)

...I'd point you to the original comment. There are other ways to meet spending thresholds or rack up points that are probably less... exploitative/damning.

I've personally benefited from the BBB cash-back policy, (as I'm sure others on DDF have), and my benefits (being able to get cash back on wedding presents) was worth way more to me than a few % cashback. Exploiting it like this is a sure-fire way to get it changed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:48:19 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
A 50-day interest-free loan of, what, $10,000 beats points/thresholds 99 out of 100 times?

Rubbish.

Where can you get a return of about $4500-5000 (what I've gotten for a single CC bonus) on an investment of a few thousand dollars in 50 days?

And, even if you could get such a return in this market, you'd presumably be exposed to tremendous downside risk. Guess what happens in 50 days whether your lose the "free money" or not - the bill comes due. And, a few months at 30% interest will exacerbate whatever loss you've incurred.

If you're only talking about the cashback aspect, you've a) not beat out the points/threshold aspect, and b)

I've personally benefited from the BBB cash-back policy, (as I'm sure others on DDF have), and my benefits (being able to get cash back on wedding presents) was worth way more to me than a few % cashback. Exploiting it like this is a sure-fire way to get it changed.

I'm somewhat confused about all the acrimony here.

No one said it's better 99 of 100 times. But if you can get 10% cb as well as the spend to meet thresholds  w/o making an actual purchase, I think it's an idea.
With regards to ruining a good thing with their return policy, I agree with this point, as well as the ethical aspect, but for ppl to suddenly start throwing that out there as their chief concern is somewhat strange considering how often our type ruin these types of things.
Maybe some ppl have been doing this for a while, and don't want the gravy train to end...?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »
No one said it's better 99 of 100 times.

No offense, but you should probably work on your reading comprehension.

considering how often our type ruin these types of things.

I don't know who you are, but if you are unabashedly admitting that you are "the type" to exploit and ruin these types of things, I want nothing to do with being lumped in with "[y]our type."

Maybe some ppl have been doing this for a while, and don't want the gravy train to end...?

Though, I can't speak for Dan, I somehow doubt he is setting up fake registries to exploit this return policy.

What I can do, however, is speak for me. And, again, I'll point you to:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:19:27 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
No offense, but you should probably work on your reading comprehension.

I don't know who you are, but if you are unabashedly admitting that you are "the type" to exploit and ruin these types of things, I want nothing to do with being lumped in with "[y]our type."

Though, I can't speak for Dan, I somehow doubt he is setting up fake registries to exploit this return policy.

What I can do, however, is speak for me. And, again, I'll point you to:

When I say "our type" I refer to our type that troll these boards and try to maximize our miles. Nothing wrong with it, but you have to admit, we're a strange breed.
While I wish I could say I have taken advantage, I can't say much seeing as I live out of the country, and the most I have done was $500 of coins and CC churning.

My main point was/is that this sounds like a decent way to accumulate both $, miles, and spend if the process doesn't bother you on an ethical/pragmatic level. I don't see why ppl rushed to bash it...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »
Because many of us benefit and have benefited highly from BB&B's generous policy and it would be a crying shame if they stop it because of us.  I guess no customer friendly policy goes unpunished though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Because many of us benefit and have benefited highly from BB&B's generous policy and it would be a crying shame if they stop it because of us.
If they do change their policy I would not worry it was caused by members here.

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 04:45:24 PM »
If they do change their policy I would not worry it was caused by members here.

:) funny that you think we don't have have that kind of power
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »
:) funny that you think we don't have have that kind of power
Just the conclusion I came to after reading many threads here the past few months.

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »
ah hah (chin scratch)
A penny saved is 1 cent